Is dead format.........dead?

I'll throw in my condolences to DF just because I remember telling myself that I had to create one before joining VC, and that felt like ages ago.  I remember being fairly proud of my 40 or so records on that list.  It's been half a decade since I've used it – and find Google Docs, Discogs, and other alternatives all superior in features and customization – but I get where people are coming from when they say browsing Discogs collections can feel cluttered or overwhelming in comparison.

I've dreaded this day since the deadformat database stopped keeping up with new releases a few years ago. With Discogs having grown in popularity since then, I'm surprised Deadformat survived as long as it did.

I started a backup collection in Google Sheets about three years ago when I grew worried Deadformat might disappear, and only a week ago started to make a Discogs collection (good timing I guess). But I'm grateful Deadformat held on because it has been my preferred destination for documenting my collection. It was there when I started, helped suck me into the vinyl collecting community when it's boards were active, and facilitated plenty of cool trades/purchases. Thanks Deadformat.

Yeah this definitely sucks.  Been using DF since I started collecting.  And like others have said, I always loved how easy it was to add and edit things.  Good thing I started adding my stuff to Discogs a little while ago.  Looks like I have a little less then a month to finish (easily) moving things over.

I sensed this day coming a few months ago so I stopped using it. Instead, I created an Excel spreadsheet and threw it in my OneDrive for access anywhere. DF was great at a specific time, but hasn't served much of a purpose for me lately. Nick also promised he would throw up a promo post on the homepage for my band's first record a few years ago and never did. Thanks for the memories, DF.

5 hours ago, Jetboy said:

This is very unfortunate. I like Discogs but it sucks to browse through your collection and I hate having hundreds of little unread messages about changes to an item in my collection.

I don't understand what sucks about viewing your collection on Discogs. People keep saying that, but what's wrong with it? There's 4 different formats for viewing your collection, including one that gives you your low, median, and high current value of your entire collection and all the separate albums.

If you don't want the messages about changes to your items, uncheck that option in the settings.

I'm glad we got a warning at least. Being as small as it was, I was always worried that it would just go down one day without any access to my list.

I found it easiest to use to catalog and keep track of what I had incoming, all in one place. Time to bite the Discogs bullet now. RIP my old friend

The thought of having to port over 3,000+ records to Discogs gives me anxiety. I think it works well for smaller collections, but larger ones are a much more cumbersome task, hence why I haven't given up on DF. However, the time has come. 

Now accpeting applications for a MOMR intern to do this for me. 

7 hours ago, mindovermatter said:

The thought of having to port over 3,000+ records to Discogs gives me anxiety. I think it works well for smaller collections, but larger ones are a much more cumbersome task, hence why I haven't given up on DF. However, the time has come. 

Now accpeting applications for a MOMR intern to do this for me. 

Just take your time and don't right. Took me a few months to get it all on there. Now I add my new titles after I wash them.

Discogs is a great tool to use.

I can be in any store and grab my phone to take a look at my collection to see if I have the same pressing (not just the same album) etc. I can also check the current value of said album(s).