Is dead format.........dead?

I wish someone would just buy and maintain the site. Similar to what happen to these boards a few years back. Not that it's a perfect solution, but it's better than it just dissolving along with all of our trade lists. 

I created a list on dead format a few years after I started collecting about a decade ago. Not sure if I'll even bother transferring my trade list to a new format at this point. It's sort of just an OCD thing/more of a head ache. 

Edited by kylet

23 hours ago, Kyle_ftl said:

What a joke. Discogs is awful for browsing purposes, guess I'll make a google doc. Such a bummer. They had to mess with it however long ago and try to make changes, and never could fix it in the end. Oh well.

What does everyone mean by this? Like just finding a random release? You can search your collection, sort it by size, year you put it in your collection, basically everything. I even asked the software guys a while back if they could let you sort by playback speed and they said it's on their list actually.

14 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I don't understand what sucks about viewing your collection on Discogs. People keep saying that, but what's wrong with it? There's 4 different formats for viewing your collection, including one that gives you your low, median, and high current value of your entire collection and all the separate albums.

If you don't want the messages about changes to your items, uncheck that option in the settings.

The same, I tried DF a long time ago and probably because I'd already uploaded my collection to discogs and was used to it and so found DF to be difficult to use.

My collection when I loaded it all onto Discogs was somewhere around 6500 Albums, it's somewhere around 8800 now and I have absolutely no problem browsing through it, in fact I used the app today on my phone to stop me buying something I already had which was no problem to find at all.

The other thing with Discogs is that I can download a csv file of my collection, wantlist, tradelist etc. etc and use them in a spreadsheet how ever I want. I know you can bulk upload things for sale so you might be able to do the same with a csv file of your collection from google docs if the columns are ordered correctly.

Much like mobile phones or a lot of computer software I think its probably a case of whatever you used first is going to be what you are used to and anything else is just wrong.

19 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

What does everyone mean by this? Like just finding a random release? You can search your collection, sort it by size, year you put it in your collection, basically everything. I even asked the software guys a while back if they could let you sort by playback speed and they said it's on their list actually.

When someone posts a link to their Discogs list on this website, I cringe because it's rarely in alphabetical order when I'm trying to browse through and find something I might be interested in, and it is separated into multiple pages by default, with each release having images next to it. It's great if I want to search Discogs to find releases, because they show the most accurate releases, variants, etc. but it's awful in trying to put together a collection list. The beauty of deadformat, for me, was just how simple it was to be able to send to someone like my mother, who could just click the link and easily view a list of my records. I don't feel that Discogs is nearly as simplistic, I just don't really like it for that reason. I don't need to see the record label, the release year... I just want simply artist/album/variant, which is what deadformat could offer me. It was also super easy to add releases to my list. I just had to click "add new" and type in specifically what I wanted to type in...

I also may be wrong about this one, but does it always show exactly what variant someone has in their collection on Discogs, or is it just simply the release name? I think that may have been an annoyance for me as well. 

13 hours ago, backpackoat said:

I found it easiest to use to catalog and keep track of what I had incoming, all in one place.

Do what I do and create a private list. I literally just call It "incoming" and add any releases I just buy right to it. POs go in the notes section. My dashboard is customized to show the list right on the homepage.

You guys should try out Discogs before knocking it. Anyone worried about the ease/customizability of viewing your collection should just create folders and custom fields. You can create as many as you want. For example, I put all my band variant collections in a folder, 7" in a folder, 10" in their own folder, etc. and it's just easier for me to quickly filter out what I want to see. Plus I have a custom field that labels variant (indie, standard, label exclusive, etc.). I will say, my biggest issue is that the format field doesn't display the entire format and instead just abbreviations.

2 minutes ago, dnl said:

Anyone worried about the ease/customizability of viewing your collection should just create folders and custom fields. You can create as many as you want. 

That's what I do. I have 12"/LPs, 7", 10", Cassettes, Signed CDs and Samplers. It's great to catalog what you have. And you can sort it in many different ways.

15 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I don't understand what sucks about viewing your collection on Discogs. People keep saying that, but what's wrong with it? There's 4 different formats for viewing your collection, including one that gives you your low, median, and high current value of your entire collection and all the separate albums.

If you don't want the messages about changes to your items, uncheck that option in the settings.

I just liked the pure text format and just being able to quickly Shift+F and find stuff.

25 minutes ago, MyckelJay said:

That's what I do. I have 12"/LPs, 7", 10", Cassettes, Signed CDs and Samplers. It's great to catalog what you have. And you can sort it in many different ways.

Same here, I also sort with a folder for linked artists so I will have a folder for the major band and then all side projects and solo things can be grouped under the same folder.

59 minutes ago, Kyle_ftl said:

When someone posts a link to their Discogs list on this website, I cringe because it's rarely in alphabetical order when I'm trying to browse through and find something I might be interested in, and it is separated into multiple pages by default, with each release having images next to it. It's great if I want to search Discogs to find releases, because they show the most accurate releases, variants, etc. but it's awful in trying to put together a collection list. The beauty of deadformat, for me, was just how simple it was to be able to send to someone like my mother, who could just click the link and easily view a list of my records. I don't feel that Discogs is nearly as simplistic, I just don't really like it for that reason. I don't need to see the record label, the release year... I just want simply artist/album/variant, which is what deadformat could offer me. It was also super easy to add releases to my list. I just had to click "add new" and type in specifically what I wanted to type in...

I also may be wrong about this one, but does it always show exactly what variant someone has in their collection on Discogs, or is it just simply the release name? I think that may have been an annoyance for me as well. 

Just click on the headers and it will sort it in whichever column you've clicked on and the direction of sort you choose. Also yes it should be the exact variant if the user has catalogued their collection properly.

1 hour ago, allenh said:

Much like mobile phones or a lot of computer software I think its probably a case of whatever you used first is going to be what you are used to and anything else is just wrong.

This statement wins the thread

2 hours ago, dnl said:

Do what I do and create a private list. I literally just call It "incoming" and add any releases I just buy right to it. POs go in the notes section. My dashboard is customized to show the list right on the homepage.

Thanks, I figured there was a way but Discogs has a lot to it so it'll take a while before I get all the tricks. I'll try it, thank you.

I look forward to reading this thread in a couple months and see if anyone's opinions changed once people learn how to actually use it.

The complaints I'm reading are all invalid, as people just haven't figured out how to use it yet. 

1 hour ago, vinyl addict said:

I look forward to reading this thread in a couple months and see if anyone's opinions changed once people learn how to actually use it.

The complaints I'm reading are all invalid, as people just haven't figured out how to use it yet. 

Maybe people just like something because they like it?

Discogs is annoying because I just want to list my collection, not have to add every version because they aren't listed and then deal with the Discogs mafia that argue every point about the new listing.

26 minutes ago, blessedxcursed said:

Maybe people just like something because they like it?

Discogs is annoying because I just want to list my collection, not have to add every version because they aren't listed and then deal with the Discogs mafia that argue every point about the new listing.

Yeah but the point of that is to create a uniform, accurate system. How many typos or incorrect variants do you think exist among all DF lists? Discogs has a higher barrier of data entry but so many more features. Most of the complaints in this thread are about how the features are too much effort even though they accomplish 10x more than DF if used well.

If you don't want something more complex than DF wouldn't it just be easier to keep your own plain text list? Something I never understood which is why I gave up on DF

discogs seems to be pretty useless for the stuff i care about, like colors, numbers, pressing numbers, etc...

you don't see any of that stuff really in a discogs collection

deadformat was much easier to format my list the way i liked the information displayed, looks like google docs for my future

6 minutes ago, rrd said:

discogs seems to be pretty useless for the stuff i care about, like colors, numbers, pressing numbers, etc...

You don't see numbers by default but you do see the version it is. Plus, if users want to put numbers in the notes section they can. I use that occasionally. 

9 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

On 9/3/2017 at 10:00 AM, slinch said:

And what if I want all my records, CDs, movies, games, prints, books, tech and other stuff all in one place, easily editable and still searchable and automated? 

5 hours ago, rrd said:

You can add all those details to each album in your collection. I do.

Like I said most of the complaints are just from people who don't fully know how to use Discogs yet.

I use both Discogs and DeadFormat and see the value in both but much prefer the simplistic look and how customizable DF was when browsing lists. I could type in whatever info I want (i.e. color, limited pressing numbers) and could upload the picture I took and posted to my Instagram account of that record. Discogs is nice in that it will detail the exact pressing that I have, which I like, especially for older stuff.

Anyone know of any other sites to create a customizable list and upload pictures associated with it? I guess it doesn't really have to be a vinyl specific site. Also, any idea how to download all of the pictures I've uploaded to DF without doing it individually?haha

17 minutes ago, RowBearToe said:

Anyone know of any other sites to create a customizable list and upload pictures associated with it? I guess it doesn't really have to be a vinyl specific site. Also, any idea how to download all of the pictures I've uploaded to DF without doing it individually?haha

I was searching for such a site immediately after the DF email hit, but had no luck. Every branch of "collecting" has their own database, but I couldn't find anything that could help you combine everything you're interested in.

As for the pics, I used a chrome extension called Image Downloader. Worked like a charm.

Edited by slinch

I signed up for both DF and Discogs at the same time when I started cataloguing and caring about my record collection after over a decade apart. I immediately found DF to be an entirely unacceptable website and to this day my head spins when people take such strong pro-DF stances. DF was an objectively poor quality databasing website and I have yet to hear a cogent negative complaint against Discogs but I am listening.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:00 AM, slinch said:

And what if I want all my records, CDs, movies, games, prints, books, tech and other stuff all in one place, easily editable and still searchable and automated? Discogs is a great site, but deadformat had its pros as well. It's a sad day to see it go.

If you're not the only person looking for such extensive cataloguing capabilities, then it sounds like you've noticed a new opportunity. If you can code and database, I'd recommend you give it a go.  Since Discogs is for music - I don't think anyone is suggesting it as the solution for your music collection, plus your anime, Viva La Bam DVDs, Bartman comics, and fidget spinner collection. But seriously, if no one is making what you want (and it sounds like you looked), you should think about making it.

21 hours ago, Kyle_ftl said:

This is fascinating to me. It sounds like you don't know how to use the filters built into Discogs despite it is so intuitive and easy. You can filter by different options which should cover nearly anyone's needs, plus choose how many items to show per page (up to 250), and change the page layout between three different views - large covers, text with covers, and text only.  Using the filters can get you alphabetical and text only in a matter of seconds.  To your complaint about difficulty in putting a collection together in discogs, it is a databasing website and (un)fortunately data quality is important so we're going to have to deal with the extra few seconds in choosing the actual pressing we have and contributing to the database. Seriously, spend a few minutes on the site clicking on things. If you still cringe about it, then learn how to use excel.

33 minutes ago, bridley said:

I signed up for both DF and Discogs at the same time when I started cataloguing and caring about my record collection after over a decade apart. I immediately found DF to be an entirely unacceptable website and to this day my head spins when people take such strong pro-DF stances. DF was an objectively poor quality databasing website and I have yet to hear a cogent negative complaint against Discogs but I am listening.

If you're not the only person looking for such extensive cataloguing capabilities, then it sounds like you've noticed a new opportunity. If you can code and database, I'd recommend you give it a go.  Since Discogs is for music - I don't think anyone is suggesting it as the solution for your music collection, plus your anime, Viva La Bam DVDs, Bartman comics, and fidget spinner collection. But seriously, if no one is making what you want (and it sounds like you looked), you should think about making it.

This is fascinating to me. It sounds like you don't know how to use the filters built into Discogs despite it is so intuitive and easy. You can filter by different options which should cover nearly anyone's needs, plus choose how many items to show per page (up to 250), and change the page layout between three different views - large covers, text with covers, and text only.  Using the filters can get you alphabetical and text only in a matter of seconds.  To your complaint about difficulty in putting a collection together in discogs, it is a databasing website and (un)fortunately data quality is important so we're going to have to deal with the extra few seconds in choosing the actual pressing we have and contributing to the database. Seriously, spend a few minutes on the site clicking on things. If you still cringe about it, then learn how to use excel.

*Insert clapping GIF here*

Edited by vinyl addict