Is dead format.........dead?

8 minutes ago, dnl said:

1. On this release, click "Edit release" in the top corner

2. Select "Copy to draft" on the right

3. Change "orange" to yellow in the format and change the notes "59 on yellow" or something similar

4. submit (add some notes; "new variant" should suffice). Also click the box to add to your collection.

5. Once you have the new submission, look at the url. On the end is a string of numbers. Copy them.

6. Go back into the Master release you linked to here. Click "Edit Master Release".

7. Click "Edit.." again and a paste the number string you got from the URL in the box that says releases.

8. Submit and your done.

It might seem like a lot of steps (because it is), but it's all pretty simple once you get used to Discogs.

EDIT: basically what @stl_ben did. Anyway, here are the steps if you have other releases.

Thanks @stl_ben! I got to step 4 and got lost from 5 on. Thanks for this list I'm sure I'll have many more.

So now how to I delete this? I submitted it, seems it just needs to be approved?

1 minute ago, kylet said:

Thanks @stl_ben! I got to step 4 and got lost from 5 on. Thanks for this list I'm sure I'll have many more.

So now how to I delete this? I submitted it, seems it just needs to be approved?

It doesn't need to be approved. When you create a release it doesn't automatically get added to the Master Release. It does need to be added to the Master Release... and then requested to be merged because it's a duplicate. It already exists in the system

3 minutes ago, kylet said:

I have a merge and delete pending now as it looks like there was a few done all at once.  Sorry I should have helped instead of did (teaching a man to fish and all that). Ill get it all cleaned up.

3 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

I have a merge and delete pending now as it looks like there was a few done all at once.  Sorry I should have helped instead of did (teaching a man to fish and all that). Ill get it all cleaned up.

Appreciate it. Thank you! 

So from here on:
- go to the existing release
- create a copy to draft
- change all the info so it's a the variant I'm trying to add and submit it
- it will temporarily show up as a serrate entry on the band's main page, but that's where I gotta go in and copy the numbers from the URL and merge it with the master release?

I think I got all that. Thanks for the help guys!

3 minutes ago, kylet said:

So from here on:
- go to the existing release
- create a copy to draft
- change all the info so it's a the variant I'm trying to add and submit it
- it will temporarily show up as a serrate entry on the band's main page, but that's where I gotta go in and copy the numbers from the URL and merge it with the master release?

Yep, you got it.

2 minutes ago, kylet said:

I did it! Successfully scanned the record release cover for this and added a 3rd variant! Now I just gotta figure out how to delete the duplicates I created on the first release I tried adding haha. 

That seems like more work than necessary lol. 

The first mistake is now gone.  But yeah its pretty easy after you do a few...you know unless you find someone there with a stick up their butt that wants to nit pick every little detail.  

The image for this release I created is upside down. I tried re uploading it and it keeps flipping it. Anybody have any idea why that's happening?

EDIT: Just opened the files and hit save again on my PC and then re uploaded them. Computers are weird. Just can't figure out how to delete the original upside one on discogs. Oh well. 

Edited by kylet

32 minutes ago, Sasan said:

I have everything listed on DF and discogs. Any way I can export the list from DF (except ctrl+c, ctrl+v)?

I got an email with a link of my list on a blank page. 
https://deadformat.com/exportcollection.php?name=BananaRepairMan2

Try plugging your name to the end of that link?

10 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

I can only imagine  the shit storm of edits that will need to be do e with all the people coming over from DF.

The Discogs site will be a sloppy mess for the next 6 weeks or so.

A lot of the site is a sloppy mess as it is. I still prefer DF but spent some time inputting some of my list. I got through all my 7"s, 10"s and part way through my LP's. The amount of adding, fixing, merging, etc I had to do was nuts. It was a bit of a learning curve but once you figure it out it isn't bad. The site definitely isn't user friendly when it comes to that stuff.

Slowly chipping away at adding the entire collection to discogs. I've noticed a few times I've created a new variant, and went to copy the numbers and merge it into the master release but cant. "Edit Master Release" is not an option on the original listing. Here's my example. I can't click edit the original one to merge the two. Why is that?

Just now, kylet said:

Slowly chipping away at adding the entire collection to discogs. I've noticed a few times I've created a new variant, and went to copy the numbers and merge it into the master release but cant. "Edit Master Release" is not an option on the original listing. Here's my example. I can't click edit the original one to merge the two. Why is that?

If something isn't already a "Master Release" (meaning there wasn't previous variants grouped together), this is what you need to do:

-On the artists page on the left column select "Create Master Release"

-Then Check mark the titles you want grouped together

-Click Create

7 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

If something isn't already a "Master Release" (meaning there wasn't previous variants grouped together), this is what you need to do:

-On the artists page on the left column select "Create Master Release"

-Then Check mark the titles you want grouped together

-Click Create

You're somewhat of a discogs expert huh lol? Thanks again.

1 minute ago, kylet said:

You're somewhat of a discogs expert huh lol? Thanks again.

Only because I had a lot of problems over the years....

Also if you make enough errors on the site they limit what you can do on there...and at the time that I did it was really hard to find someone to help me fix my mistakes.

Don't want someone else to get in that same spot.

A better database is good for everyone!