Is dead format.........dead?

On 9/7/2017 at 2:06 PM, vinyl addict said:

I can only imagine  the shit storm of edits that will need to be do e with all the people coming over from DF.

The Discogs site will be a sloppy mess for the next 6 weeks or so.

After adding one test press I basically said "fuck it" whenever a variant I have didn't pop up on the site.  I don't want to be responsible for any of the fuck ups, haha.  I finished transporting my collection today, but I ended up spending a solid 6-8 hours of my life doing it all.  I have separate folders for 7"/10"/12"/box sets, just like I did on Deadformat.  I still wish I could see the variants better than just the first like 3 letters, but I'm glad it's all taken care of finally.  In the process, I purchased 4 new records from the website just to fill out my collections for certain artists I only needed like one more release from or something.

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

Ugh. These people acting like discogs won't be DF at some point in the future. 

No, people are complaining because on DF you could track your records with exactly what you wanted to input them as. You could put as much or as little as you wanted. I'm a bit OCD and had all my stuff in the order Artist - Album (Colour) /pressing number. 

I liked my list like that but I'll move on to Discogs and get over it.

16 hours ago, stl_ben said:

Only because I had a lot of problems over the years....

Also if you make enough errors on the site they limit what you can do on there...and at the time that I did it was really hard to find someone to help me fix my mistakes.

Don't want someone else to get in that same spot.

A better database is good for everyone!

yep I can agree with that, it took a some reading of the help files to work some of it out when I first started uploading my collection, no there really isn't a lot of help from people and you can get the anal types nit picking when you do make a mistake but I think the end result is worth the work when you get the hang of it

8 hours ago, dethrock said:

No, people are complaining because on DF you could track your records with exactly what you wanted to input them as. You could put as much or as little as you wanted. I'm a bit OCD and had all my stuff in the order Artist - Album (Colour) /pressing number. 

Yep. I'm trying to adjust to the fact that the records are in alphabetical order by first name, not last name (unless there's a filter I'm just missing). 

On 9/9/2017 at 1:08 AM, dethrock said:

I think you're being defensive. My comment was about people defending Discogs needlessly when we're mourning the death of Dead Format.

Late to the party... but I'll miss Deadformat as well. Actually stumbled across it while looking for some rare CD's, and someone had them listed in their collection. I liked how simple it was to add to my collection, and viewing it and others' collections it seems to be easier on the eyes than Discogs. And I just realized while I also kept up with my "modern" records on Discogs... I've yet to add/move all my "classic" records... ugh.

It always has been a pain to add releases for me (on Discogs), they never appear in the right category or whatever or you have to have someone else move it. There's just too many steps. And a lot of the mods/admins/whomever seem to be a bunch of elitist *dolphin noises*... I've had and seen my fair share of stupidity.

Not sure if I'll continue through there, doing an online spreadsheet of sorts, or maybe just not posting anything and having an "unknown" collection.

On 9/6/2017 at 5:47 PM, rrd said:

Couple of alternatives I've found if you don't want to go the Discogs route

www.myrecordlist.com

www.recordnerd.com

Thanks for the options @rrd. I'm currently trying to finish my list on Record Nerd but it is quite cumbersome. 

I'm not sure what some of  the Discogs lovers don't understand in this thread (and don't get me wrong I love Discogs and am a regular contributor).

DeadFormat offered some nice features in a list form that is not cluttered like Discogs. Don't kid yourself Discogs can look cluttered to the untrained eye. 

-DeadFormat allowed you to make a nice --- customizable --- list that was easy to maintain and add new sections and additions on the fly. 

-I could go into my "12" Albums and EPs" section and push  "Add New" and just type in 20 records in detail and hit submit and DeadFormat would put it all in alphabetical order immediately. So basically you can add 20 new things to that list as fast as you could type and at a push of a button it appears on your list in order. 

-Not only could you make your own unique titled sections but when you had a list of sections you could move each section to any order you'd like. 

-You could also have individual pictures on each item you had (not a general image used on Discogs) to show the condition of the actual item you own. 

In short, DeadFormat was a way to have items on a list that were divided up any way you could want and have ease of use included. With your own pictures of the items all in a simple list form. 

5 hours ago, thefavoriteplay said:

Thanks for the options @rrd. I'm currently trying to finish my list on Record Nerd but it is quite cumbersome. 

I'm not sure what some of  the Discogs lovers don't understand in this thread (and don't get me wrong I love Discogs and am a regular contributor).

DeadFormat offered some nice features in a list form that is not cluttered like Discogs. Don't kid yourself Discogs can look cluttered to the untrained eye. 

-DeadFormat allowed you to make a nice --- customizable --- list that was easy to maintain and add new sections and additions on the fly. 

-I could go into my "12" Albums and EPs" section and push  "Add New" and just type in 20 records in detail and hit submit and DeadFormat would put it all in alphabetical order immediately. So basically you can add 20 new things to that list as fast as you could type and at a push of a button it appears on your list in order. 

-Not only could you make your own unique titled sections but when you had a list of sections you could move each section to any order you'd like. 

-You could also have individual pictures on each item you had (not a general image used on Discogs) to show the condition of the actual item you own. 

In short, DeadFormat was a way to have items on a list that were divided up any way you could want and have ease of use included. With your own pictures of the items all in a simple list form. 

i don't know how far you've got on recordnerd but you may want to check this one out (www.recordbin.online) its essentially the same layout but adds a few more options in the columns

On 9/11/2017 at 1:43 PM, aopps42 said:

Are there really only 6 users??

Yeah I just made the site from scratch because it was how I wanted to organize my records

8 hours ago, RowBearToe said:

I looked at your list and I like the way the site is laid out, but is there an option to add images if I wanted to?

Thats coming soon. Also working on bulk upload from a csv file

Edited by john

Discogs question. I've had this happen once before but I can't remember what the solution is.

I'm trying to add The Lawrence Arms - Cocktails and Dreams to my collection but it doesn't show up under their main artist page here: https://www.discogs.com/artist/291699-The-Lawrence-Arms

The album is on Discogs here https://www.discogs.com/The-Lawrence-Arms-Cocktails-Dreams/master/288623

How do I get it to show up on their artist page?

EDIT: After doing some research it seemed to be a glitch with some database reindexing sometime in the past. Just had to do a blank edit of the master release and it looks like it shows up on the main artist page now.

Edited by dethrock
fixed my own problem

Hey guys/gals, I created a spreadsheet to parse the DeadFormat Plaintext Dump!

Hopefully this is something a few of you will find valuable.

You pretty much just paste in your deadformat text file, and you should receive an organized spreadsheet out the other end. It wants info in the following format (see below), but could be easily modified for other organizations. There's a note sheet with step by step directions.

Artist - Album (Variant)/#pressed [comments]

File can be found below, download as a excel file, or make a copy to your google drive account.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bbqa3i2Hv6-WKJl7mt4blLEjwfTnbRvDxFs7mpKnh64/edit?usp=sharing

Example Image:

pXnluWZ.jpg

Edited by V3XED
Updated with full info and link