Is dead format.........dead?

15 hours ago, thefavoriteplay said:

I believe you can email Nick and he can send you your list. The email address is on the Deadformat splash page. I don't think that link would work if you had it. 

13 hours ago, dethrock said:

Thanks guys!

3 hours ago, swb said:

I always thought Discogs was clear about being an academic-like database project rather than a fun, loose "here's my collection" tool. I haven't combed too far into their Help or About pages but maybe they need to do a better job of explaining their mission and why they have rules, since it seems like a fair amount of people are frustrated that the rules are getting in their way.

Whatever Discogs was intending to be doesn't matter now. They only focus on improving the marketplace. The rest of the site (outside of the releasing editing function) hasn't had a significant update in years.

2 hours ago, stl_ben said:

I dont believe that is correct.  I just clicked your link and it shows Zoo Entertainment at the top.

That being said....if you are sharing the link why exactly does it have to be alphabetically?  Why not just let the person looking at it sort it however they prefer?

I'm just trying to figure out how to properly link my girlfriend to my profile, or anyone for that matter, without her having to sift through tons of unorganized pages to figure out whether or not I have a specific record.  The holidays are coming up, and she has asked me to provide her with my list.  By sending her my default list - www.discogs.com/user/Kyle_ftl/collection , she cannot sort it on her iPhone safari app.  The problem of, "why not just let the person sort it however they prefer" is inapplicable because she literally cannot change the sorting options using my link for her, so I want to give her a proper link.

1 minute ago, Kyle_ftl said:

I'm just trying to figure out how to properly link my girlfriend to my profile, or anyone for that matter, without her having to sift through tons of unorganized pages to figure out whether or not I have a specific record.  The holidays are coming up, and she has asked me to provide her with my list.  By sending her my default list - www.discogs.com/user/Kyle_ftl/collection , she cannot sort it on her iPhone safari app.  The problem of, "why not just let the person sort it however they prefer" is inapplicable because she literally cannot change the sorting options using my link for her, so I want to give her a proper link.

When she clicks on the link, just have her scroll to the bottom and click the "Desktop" version of the page.  From there it will open up where she can sort it by whatever category she wants....and then even switch back to mobile version if she wants.

Just now, stl_ben said:

When she clicks on the link, just have her scroll to the bottom and click the "Desktop" version of the page.  From there it will open up where she can sort it by whatever category she wants....and then even switch back to mobile version if she wants.

No joke, I have done that, and actually, I'm kind of an idiot now looking back on that.  I did this for myself to figure it out --- I did it on desktop and everything, and I kept looking for an option to change sorting options, and the idiot that I am completely blanked on the "artist - title (label, catalog#), added" options at the top.  COMPLETELY skipped over them because I expected there to be a sidebar somewhere for it.  What a silly mistake.  

23 hours ago, swb said:

I always thought Discogs was clear about being an academic-like database project rather than a fun, loose "here's my collection" tool. I haven't combed too far into their Help or About pages but maybe they need to do a better job of explaining their mission and why they have rules, since it seems like a fair amount of people are frustrated that the rules are getting in their way.

Eh.... have you ever noticed the "Data Quality" graph on the bottom left of a bands page? QbvCl3B.png

That image is from August Burns Red's band page on Discogs. Apparently none of it should be trusted. The reason I say the rules should be slightly looser at the beginning is because technically what's supposed to happen is once all the information is in, then the group of owners or fans is supposed to hold a vote to confirm the information is complete and accurate. But that part never really happens. Some magic gnome that also happens to be a fan puts up information, we add it, and maybe fix one or two things. We should allow more people to create release pages early on, at the cost of accuracy, because we already have the ability to clean it up and vote later.

33 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Eh.... have you ever noticed the "Data Quality" graph on the bottom left of a bands page? QbvCl3B.png

That image is from August Burns Red's band page on Discogs. Apparently none of it should be trusted. The reason I say the rules should be slightly looser at the beginning is because technically what's supposed to happen is once all the information is in, then the group of owners or fans is supposed to hold a vote to confirm the information is complete and accurate. But that part never really happens. Some magic gnome that also happens to be a fan puts up information, we add it, and maybe fix one or two things. We should allow more people to create release pages early on, at the cost of accuracy, because we already have the ability to clean it up and vote later.

You're describing your own approach to adding information to a database but I think it's different than the one Discogs has chosen and enforces. It looks like people do often add information however they think is best but then it gets removed or edited to fit the official rules. I don't know that there's a way to effectively circumvent that moderation.