Is dead format.........dead?

I could never see the appeal of DF over Discogs.

Discogs is a wealth of information. DF, not so much.

I use Discogs as my reference but prefer the setup of DF. I'm picky about the info that I list for each record so DF works better for me. Also like Slinch said about adding in a bunch of releases on DF at once is convenient. To each their own though.

You have 30 records that aren't on discogs?  That's impressive, very seldom do I ever find anything that isn't on there.

Discogs > DF. No contest.

Mostly variants/test presses, granted. It might be super easy to add a release and I'm just dumb, but every couple of years that I try it seems to take too much effort and I just let it go. I do have pretty much all my records listed on discogs now, but those that don't have their own separate release I just put under a different one and add a note.

CDs on the other hand, I'm not even going to attempt those. Way too many promos and diy releases to even consider adding them all.

Most important reason why my main list is on DF though: I buy stuff other than music and like to keep it all in one place. Movies, prints, games and a ton of other merch/collectibles/crap. It's awesome to have a one stop place for everything.

We have been working and planning on how to develop a collection management feature along with some trading features! This will begin to roll out soon and in various stages. The first part is the collection management feature which will allow you create a simple collection list (Haves, trades, wants etc...) It will be built into your profile here on VC. We are hoping to launch this sometime in August, but it depends on how fast coding goes. As it develops I will make an official thread with more details than just this simple explanation. Glad to hear that many are looking for pretty much what we are buliding!!!

abkjQHtQ.gif

I like DF and have added a fair amount of release info and pics. It's a bummer that the pressing info section has been locked down for so long. There are usually far more pictures of all the different variants, etc. on DF. That said, there are orders of magnitude more pressing info on discogs of varying genres. Adding unique release entries can take a bit of time with all the track names and such. However, it is super easy to added new presses/variants by copying and pasting all the release info. You then just have add the ID to the Master Release page.

From what I can see it appears people with collections in 10s or low hundreds prefer DF, if you have a collection of 1,000 or more you probably are a bigger fan of discogs.  Just in general.

Not really, I regularly contribute to Discogs and it is a favorite site of mine but I prefer the 1 page of a DF tradelist. I can go to DF and quickly check my list. 

The collection function on Discogs I barely use, even though I am on that site all the time. 

From what I can see it appears people with collections in 10s or low hundreds prefer DF, if you have a collection of 1,000 or more you probably are a bigger fan of discogs.  Just in general.

I keep lists on both deadformat and discogs.

I like the one page list of deadformat, and there are a lot of releases I have that are not on discogs. 

If I am looking for pressing info, I go to discogs every time. Also, keeping a wantlist on discogs and getting the daily emails is great!

I've got about 200 records, and I prefer using Discogs for my own collection. I prefer reading DF for other people's, though.

For the convenience of everyone, I have a list on each that is regularly updated.

I only use Discogs.  The accuracy and completeness of the information far outweighs a slick looking list. Function over form any day.  Dead Format always seemed like a waste of time to me.

Discogs has been making small improvements in the last year or so, and it works a little better on mobile now.

I've recently gave up on updating my df page and, like others have said, I prefer viewing the df list for sure. It just didn't make sense to manually update df after I bit the bullet and built out my discogs collection. I can always export the list I figure if I want to view it like that. yea discogs!

Discogs ftw.

I can't believe all the collectors who aren't interested in the actual info of their collection. DF doesn't tell you squat. All just because you like the way it looks?

Someone said earlier they think it depends on size of your collection whether or not they use Discogs/DF. I'd be more inclined to say that it's more the younger people who use DF, and the elders use Discogs. Nothing wrong with it, just seems that way.

DF doesn't tell you squat. All just because you like the way it looks?

Why would I need it to tell me anything? The main function of a "record list" is to list records. It is when I'm after pressing info that I turn to a "pressing info" website.

I see a lot of people here are struggling to understand that someone else might have needs different to their own and will choose their preference based on those. One cannot be universally better if you're only looking at it from your own perspective.

If anything, it is the folks that use a single website exclusively who are missing out because each option has its benefits and its drawbacks, and whichever you choose will be a compromise if used only on its own. I use google docs for all my excell spreadsheets with detailed info including purchase dates and prices (separate files for movies, music, games, prints, audio gear, statues, and a bunch of other stuff), discogs for all (actually, most) of my vinyl, blu-ray.com for movies and deadformat for a quick overview of everything above. If anyone asks to see what my interests are, guess which one will make the most sense for me to share with them. ;)

I've just begun the process of inventorying all my records on discogs. While I prefer the dead format for browsing, having everything on discogs where I can simply click a button to put an album up for sale is just too convenient. Also, it's pretty cool/unnerving to see how much my collection is worth/how much I've spent on records.

This is my process:  After I buy a record, I go to discogs and find the pressing. Then I copy and paste the info into DF and arrange it the way I want it to read. Sure, I have to move some stuff around but it's customized to the way I like it and it's uniform. See here:

Test Pressings

Appleseed Cast, The ‎– "Illumination Ritual" LP (Graveface GRAVE090/William Schaff hand-screenprinted/stencil cover signed by artist - #39/50)
Appleseed Cast, The ‎– "Illumination Ritual" LP (Graveface GRAVE090/William Schaff hand-screenprinted/stencil cover/unnumbered - x/72)
Blenderhead ‎– "Blue Tile Lounge" 7" (Tooth & Nail TNV 2/black)
Brandtson - "Send Us A Signal" LP (Blue handmade screened jacket/orange marble vinyl - #2/5)
Brandtson - "Send Us A Signal" LP (Red handmade screened jacket/black vinyl - #15/20)
Chandeliers - "Unheard Intensities" b/w "Time Drive" 7" (N+B 003/Black - x/?)
Coltrane, John ‎– "Blue Train" LP (Blue Note BN LP-1577/Classic Records/mono/2003 remastered version/200 gram - x/20)
No pictures available.Copeland - "In Motion" LP (Approved test - #10/10)
Craig's Brother - "Lost At Sea" LP (Tooth & Nail/Veritas Vinyl/Vinyl Remains - x/10)
Earl Long ‎– "Term Two" LP (ShanGorilla Records SG-10004 - x/5)
Lenz, Frank - "Brothers Who Are Breathing" b/w "Sexy Sixth" 7" (Black - #2/8)
Pink Frost - "The Sun" b/w "You Should Know" 7" (N+B 004/Black - #14/14)
Starflyer 59 - "Silver" LP (Tooth & Nail/Crossroads of America - x/10)
Starflyer 59 - "The Changing of the Guard" LP (w/ Bonus 7" test pressing/white vinyl - x/30)
Strongarm - "The Advent of a Miracle" LP (Second pressing/Blank Page Empire - #25/30)
Thou/The City Is The Tower [split] - "Dwell In The Darkness of Thought and Drink The Poison of Life" LP (Init INIT 65/black - x/5)
Twothirtyeight (238) - "You Should Be Living" LP (Black - #16/30)
Zao - "Liberate Te Ex Inferis" LP (Screened cover - #12/15)
Zao - "Self-Titled" LP (Screened cover/black vinyl - #7/10)