The Criterion Collection Thread (24 hour flash sale at criterion.com)

Came across this deal earlier today and thought I would pass it along. I went a little crazy, but a pretty sweet deal. Looking at about $20 for blu-ray and $15 for DVDs, which is a steal for Criterion releases.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Disc-DVD-Special-Editions/379003202/

Edited by batman

Wow, thanks for the heads up! Criterions seriously never go on sale. I'm thinking about picking up Rushmore and Antichrist blu rays myself.

My first instinct was to see if they had the royal tenenbaums pre order for 50% off, but it was only $5 off an already inflated 39.99 price tag. Bastards!

My first instinct was to see if they had the royal tenenbaums pre order for 50% off, but it was only $5 off an already inflated 39.99 price tag. Bastards!

What is the preorder, exactly? I have a copy of Tenenbaums already from the Criterion Collection, is it any different?

May use this to pick up Rushmore and Bottlerocket. Pretty much have all the other Criterion releases I'm interested in, have held off on those two because I haven't been able to find them for a reasonable price anywhere yet. Even with 50% off, it's a bit tough to take the plunge.

You guys do know that you can get a lot of the older Criterion movies on Amazon used for $15 or less? I mean... that's assuming you don't mind buying used things like me. And sometimes you can get lucky. For example, I recently ordered a used copy of Antichrist from Amazon for $16 an it arrived in perfect condition.

You guys do know that you can get a lot of the older Criterion movies on Amazon used for $15 or less? I mean... that's assuming you don't mind buying used things like me. And sometimes you can get lucky. For example, I recently ordered a used copy of Antichrist from Amazon for $16 an it arrived in perfect condition.

yeah for some movies it may not be too great of a deal. but i'm one who would rather spend $20 for a new copy than a few bucks less for a used copy (that may or may not be noticeably used). maybe that's weird haha.

i made a list of ones that i wanted and told my parents that's all i wanted for christmas. (my mom is weird and is already trying to get her christmas shopping done...)

I really would love to be all over this sale, but I just find it so hard to spend over $20 on a DVD. And yeah, I know that Criterion Collection's are worth it, and if I had the money I'd buy all of them because I love the features they include. But I think I'll just continue to go the Amazon route for the time being.

The one's I wouldn't mind grabbing right now though would be:

- Eyes Without A Face

- Europa

- The Element Of Crime

- Repulsion

- Peeping Tom

- Man Bites Dog

- Diabolique

- The Seventh Seal

- The Night Of The Hunter

• 1 year later...

yup, i grabbed 5 for now: 

the life aquatic (one of my fav wes anderson films, been dying for it on blu)

persona (bergman)

a brief history of time (doc about stephen hawking)

breaking the waves (anxious to watch more stuff from lars von trier)

insomnia (original norwegian film that christopher nolan adapted)

Damn, this is such a great deal! Hopefully the ones I want don't sell out until I get back from vacation. 

from what i've seen in the past they don't sell out, but will instead be listed as backordered. as long as you get the order in during the sale, you'll be good. this deal is also good in-store if your local B&N sells movies.

This is tempting. I bought a bunch off someone selling locally recently for a great price and still have not had the time to watch them.

Criterion is a great but very expensive hobby. I had owned a ton but widdle down to 80, i know not much of a widdle, that i actually want. I used to just own some to own them, then never watched them or had stuff i would truely never watch again.