The Criterion Collection Thread (24 hour flash sale at criterion.com)

From what it seems they are still plugging away at stuff. There is a ton of international that they are putting out from all different decades and really drill down on a directors works. There has to be like 10+ kirosawa releases alone.

Also they have been trying to give other films a proper release. For example the following,repo man, mystery train releases. Upping the quality as well as putting on some extra features where alot of the original non criterion presses were pretty bare bones with content.

try 20+ kurosawa's ;)

I'm thinking of picking up Scanners and being done for the summer. Any recs?

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/121329-kyle-s/collection

refer to my previous post for some good international recs.

based off your list:

the two Kubrick criterion releases are must sees as well (the killing, paths of glory)

blue is the warmest color (although it is quite sexually explicit)

seems like you're into a lot of American cinema, so definitely on the waterfront if you've never seen it. doesn't get much better.

definitely badlands and days of heaven.

perhaps traffic as well.

the life aquatic since I see you like wes anderson.

paris, texas is a masterpiece as well.

Except there was a problem with Ran and they lost the rights. Not sure if it ever saw daylight, but I'm pretty sure they had even manufactured them.

the DVD was released (but is now OOP), I think it was when it came to a Blu-ray release. really sucks, because I've heard that's a great film. not that I can't get it outside of criterion, I just love them.

Why on earth would you ever buy it for that price?

Because one: I got it early. Two: I had it preordered on Amazon and I would've been paying that price anyways. Three: even at $35 I didn't think it was a terrible price for a new, double blu-ray, 4 hour movie. And four: Lars Von Trier is my favorite director of all-time and this might possibly be my favorite film he's done so far.

So did you think a $35 blu-ray was really the cheapest buy? I don't mean to harp, but I'm just curious as to why you went with FYE and not Amazon...

dude amazon is $35+ also...

http://www.amazon.com/Nymphomanic-Vol-Blu-ray-Charlotte-Gainsbourg/dp/B00JVQ7QTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404928061&sr=8-1&keywords=nymphomaniac

this was 2 films. when I saw it in theaters, I had to buy tickets for each one individually.

so average $17 on Blu-ray isn't awful. I figured it would be at least $30. definitely not $15...

not quite criterion related, but lars von trier's two-part film 'nymphomaniac' is being released today on Blu-ray. only $14.99 for both parts (4 hours total) at Best Buy! apparently LEGO is making a game based on the movie as well ;)

pu6uze4e.jpg

That movie was trash. The only worth while Lars Von Trier film is Anti-Christ

Nymphomaniac isn't that good, it's boring and lingers on unimportant stuff, and shia's accent is so so so bad.

I beg to differ on soooooo many levels. I went in expecting Shia's accent to be shit but it was surprisingly convincing. I don't think we saw the same movie cause it was absolutely brilliant.

How do you know the things they lingered on were "unimportant?" If you pay attention enough, you may come to find that those things matter more than most and as a whole, create a bigger picture.

Then again I'm probably biased cause yeah. Von Trier is the best.

I beg to differ on soooooo many levels. I went in expecting Shia's accent to be shit but it was surprisingly convincing. I don't think we saw the same movie cause it was absolutely brilliant.

How do you know the things they lingered on were "unimportant?" If you pay attention enough, you may come to find that those things matter more than most and as a whole, create a bigger picture.

Then again I'm probably biased cause yeah. Von Trier is the best.

Von Trier is good director but I feel like you're almost biased. But he's not that good of a director or writer like he shoves stuff in your face, and characters will come in later some how reiterate something that was implied.

I didn't like how forced somethings felt, like the tree screen in both parts. I didn't like all the editing mistakes, or the random black and white shit, or like the change in screen sizing they weren't Wes Anderson style mistakes, but I remember shit could be chopped mid conversation, really amateur mistakes

The directing was bad at times, like people will sit there in silence while others talked, or it was just weirdly directed particularly the hospital screen. 

Then he remade that screen from Anti-Christ, like the only diffrence is that the child doesn't die, like fuck.

Like the movie's okay but I don't like how hard the film tries and forces interpretation. There was stuff I liked though, like the train scene character progression, The BSDM scenes, and first chapters in part 2.

But fuck this feels like he just ripped pieces and actors out of Melancholia, Anti-Christ and shoved them togther. Like fuck everyone praises this move but it honestly gets a 2.7/5 from me. It's alright but it's doing the most and it's so so so pretentious. 

If you want good films with subtext:

Spring Breakers (seriously it's a great fucking film)

The Warriors

Blue is The Warmest Color

Von Trier is good director but I feel like you're almost biased. But he's not that good of a director or writer like he shoves stuff in your face, and characters will come in later some how reiterate something that was implied.

I didn't like how forced somethings felt, like the tree screen in both parts. I didn't like all the editing mistakes, or the random black and white shit, or like the change in screen sizing they weren't Wes Anderson style mistakes, but I remember shit could be chopped mid conversation, really amateur mistakes

The directing was bad at times, like people will sit there in silence while others talked, or it was just weirdly directed particularly the hospital screen.

Then he remade that screen from Anti-Christ, like the only diffrence is that the child doesn't die, like fuck.

Like the movie's okay but I don't like how hard the film tries and forces interpretation. There was stuff I liked though, like the train scene character progression, The BSDM scenes, and first chapters in part 2.

But fuck this feels like he just ripped pieces and actors out of Melancholia, Anti-Christ and shoved them togther. Like fuck everyone praises this move but it honestly gets a 2.7/5 from me. It's alright but it's doing the most and it's so so so pretentious.

If you want good films with subtext:

Spring Breakers (seriously it's a great fucking film)

The Warriors

Blue is The Warmest Color

I've seen all 3 of those films. Harmony Korine is up there with my favorites as well. And I did really like Blue Is The Warmest Color, but there is no possible way in hell that anyone could convince me that it's a better/more entertaining film than Nynphomaniac. "Biased" towards a director or not.

Spring Breakers needs a criterion release.

With commentary by Harmony Korine and (in character) James Franco

This would be awesome. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised that none of his films have gotten a Criterion release. Kids, Julian Donkey Boy, Gummo, and Mister Lonely would be perfect releases.

I've seen all 3 of those films. Harmony Korine is up there with my favorites as well. And I did really like Blue Is The Warmest Color, but there is no possible way in hell that anyone could convince me that it's a better/more entertaining film than Nynphomaniac. "Biased" towards a director or not.

This would be awesome. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised that none of his films have gotten a Criterion release. Kids, Julian Donkey Boy, Gummo, and Mister Lonely would be perfect releases.

Korine just wrote the screenplay for Kids he didn't direct it.

But I agree there are a ton of movies that need to come out in the collection some that come to mind are:

[Rec]
Somewhere

Spring Breakers

Submarine
Kids
Elephant
Moonrise Kingdom
Dog Tooth
Battle Royale
and Lost in Translation to Name a few 

I know most of those will never happen but I still feel like those films are good enough they deserve a Criterion Release. Than again those are some of my favorite films.