Planes Mistaken For Stars

I can't believe these guys are on tour.

Or maybe I can. I can't think of another band I've seen so many times in a period of less than 10 years. It seemed like, for a while there, they'd be in the greater Detroit area at least once every 10 months or so.

Since their "final show" in 2008, I've seen them at the Subterranean in Chicago, and now they're dragging their grizzled, hoary old rock and roll machine through Lansing. It's cool to be seeing them, even if it was completely unexpected.

Anybody been to any of these "reunion tour" shows yet? They still got it in 'em?

I recently had to retire the shirt I bought from my very first Planes show on the Fuck With Fire tour. Hopefully they'll have some for sale.

Since this topic is pertinent to my interests I might as well weigh in.

The show last night was great. They focused pretty heavily on Up In Them Guts, and only played a a few songs from the earlier records ("End Me In Richmond," "Copper and Stars"). They finished the set, left the stage, the house lights came up and music started blaring through the PA but no one left. The band was starting break down but people just kept clapping so they decided to play a couple more. The cries of "We Ride to Fight" and they ended up finishing with "Spring Divorce." You would have thought these guys never stopped playing together. They were spot on.

If they come through your area you need to go.

I'm cool with a "Guts" heavy setlist. To be completely honest, of their full lengths, that one might have become my favorite over the years, even over Fuck With Fire.

ANYWAY I'M STOKED. I've probably seen these dudes at every show they've played in Michigan since the Fuck With Fire days.

I saw them once pre-breakup, and it was pretty unmemorable, most likely due to the fact that I think there were only 4 people or so there. I think it was right after Mercy came out. I saw them again at Fest last time they played, which was two years ago I think? They were amazing then. I'm going to see them on the current tour at I Got Brains in Virginia, and I couldn't be more excited. They were one of the first bands that I got really into when I first started listening to that type of music. They are one of the few bands to be on par with the original when covering Black Flag.