$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

So some kids from Northeastern University, and Berklee School of Music have teamed to try to create a $150 audiophile sounding turntable. It's coming out this Fall.

So far I like the design and the price. I'm probably going to pick one up to see what it sound like.

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/ccp/audiophiles-rejoice-students-create-affordable-turntable

http://www.uturnaudio.com/

I love the minimalist design of it. I'm kinda wondering where the speed switch is. I'm sure it'll be there in the final product. As far as cartridges and needles are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a decent entry-level one that is included, but those can always be changed out.

I love the minimalist design of it. I'm kinda wondering where the speed switch is. I'm sure it'll be there in the final product. As far as cartridges and needles are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a decent entry-level one that is included, but those can always be changed out.

To change speeds you move the belt down to the larger loop, that's how it is on most turntables that aren't automatic

at least you don't have to lift off the platter to move the belt.

also there are a few different tables out there right now that resemble closely to the pro-ject i'm not really sure who was first nor do I care.

This looks kinda cheap looking but I'm excited that actual true record nerds are behind this lets hope it's a quality table

"Audiophile" is just being used here as shorthand for "pretty good sounding." I'm assuming what they're getting at is, "exceptional for the average user."

So what about the price? If they've found a way to cut manufacturing and material costs in their design, then so be it. Nobody will know until they actually try one. Starting with a grant, then kickstarter, and not having a "brand" to support/name to pay for, maybe they really did pull it off.

Though seriously, that's bogus about not having a dust cover. I have cats and a pomegranate, I don't want hair on my table. But the idea is really cool. I'll purchase one and write out my impressions for people to read about online.

"Audiophile" is just being used here as shorthand for "pretty good sounding." I'm assuming what they're getting at is, "exceptional for the average user."

So what about the price? If they've found a way to cut manufacturing and material costs in their design, then so be it. Nobody will know until they actually try one. Starting with a grant, then kickstarter, and not having a "brand" to support/name to pay for, maybe they really did pull it off.

Though seriously, that's bogus about not having a dust cover. I have cats and a pomegranate, I don't want hair on my table. But the idea is really cool. I'll purchase one and write out my impressions for people to read about online.

If your pomengranate is hairy, you should just throw it out and get a new one. I don't think it's safe to eat anymore.

I think it'll be good for those people still using shitty Crosley players they picked up at KMart. Toss those pieces of shit in the trash and play your records on something a little more expensive but a bit better quality.

Exactly.

Also re: dust covers if these things take off there will be an add on or a 3rd party supplier that will make dust covers for these things.

I understand the sacrifice, they could easily add $50+ to the price tag and if they are going to come in at 150 they need to get rid of some costs

pro-jects are even pictured without a dust cover...i bet it'd have one. if they truly listen to vinyl and aren't just retard music theory nerds who thought they'd be able to show how much they love music by creating a record player thats 150, looks like a pro-ject and isn't an ion, hopefully they would add one knowing dust fucking sucks. i've ran into too many of these people that think because they're music majors they can instantly tell what sounds best and they tried saying my friends shitty portable crosley was the best record player they've ever heard...i had to leave

I have my doubts about the Orbit - especially without knowing more specifics about the platter, motor and tonearm - but good for them. As many have already mentioned, it looks like this will be a great alternative to beginners whose only choices up to this point have been Crosleys and Ions.

At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is how it performs. Is it quiet, steady and reliable? Only time will tell.

Very interesting that they're using a unipivot design for the tonearm. It has many supporters, but they can be really fiddly to set up ... which is a weird choice for a beginner turntable.