$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

I don't understand this comment. How does size/quality of a collection factor into whether or not one would be interested in this turntable?

Was wondering this myself. Thank you for the compliment on my collection but the fact that I want to check this out has nothing to do with the size or quality of my collection but only my curiosity of this "audiophile quality", affordable table. I'd really like to have a 2nd table in my downstairs family room as well and I'm hoping this could do the trick.

I don't understand this comment. How does size/quality of a collection factor into whether or not one would be interested in this turntable?

I think it may be a commentary about how many people on VC have invested thousands upon thousands of dollars in their records and virtually nothing on their playback equipment. To someone whose ears have been opened to how wonderful vinyl can sound and how much more enjoyable nice gear can make this hobby, it does seem like there's a pretty large (and kinda ridiculous) imbalance between the two sides. Horses for courses, I guess.

Having said that, it doesn't mean that you can't be interested or have different motivations for wanting to hear this U-Turn deck, regardless of the size of your collection.

For all you looky-loos ...

http://www.audiokarm...14&postcount=42

and

https://www.facebook...150900425465143

Sorry, I didn't realize you needed an AK account to see that photo!

Honestly, the pic gives me a little more hope for this deck, but it's still going to boil down to real-world performance. The motor and how it's isolated is going to be a huge deal, and if you ask me, the tonearm looks pretty rinky-dink. I still find it weird that they went with a unipivot design for a entry-level turntable.

A selfish little part of me hopes this thing sucks. If it's even a moderately capable performer, you know this forum is going to be filled with insufferable teenagers boasting how AH-MAZING their vinyl sounds. Blech.

Sorry, I didn't realize you needed an AK account to see that photo!

Honestly, the pic gives me a little more hope for this deck, but it's still going to boil down to real-world performance. The motor and how it's isolated is going to be a huge deal, and if you ask me, the tonearm looks pretty rinky-dink. I still find it weird that they went with a unipivot design for a entry-level turntable.

A selfish little part of me hopes this thing sucks. If it's even a moderately capable performer, you know this forum is going to be filled with insufferable teenagers boasting how AH-MAZING their vinyl sounds. Blech.

THIS x2

I'll be looking to upgrade my TT. At this price it may be worth looking into. Maybe you don't get the ultimate performance with a TT that doesn't cost $1000 but it still can be a huge upgrade compared to playback of other audio formats. Making fun of those who don't have thousands of dollars to throw into their audio equipment sounds a little snobby and elitist to me. Congrats you have those setups but not everyone is going to be able to set up their system like yours and that's just reality.

I haven't seen posts making fun of anyone for not spending thousands on their system in this thread.

When someone has a large, possibly quite expensive vinyl collection and are playing it back on something cheap or a piece of junk, it not only surprises me, but it also makes me curious as to why they feel like they shouldn't spend some money on decent playback components. This senario is no different to me than if the part of the playback chain were flipped around and a person spent thousands on a killer preamp, but had it hooked up to a ion turntable and a terrible crappy, integrated amp and a pair of crap (maybe even mismatched)speakers, and had three or four shody records thay played on it.

I haven't seen posts making fun of anyone for not spending thousands on their system in this thread.

When someone has a large, possibly quite expensive vinyl collection and are playing it back on something cheap or a piece of junk, it not only surprises me, but it also makes me curious as to why they feel like they shouldn't spend some money on decent playback components. This senario is no different to me than if the part of the playback chain were flipped around and a person spent thousands on a killer preamp, but had it hooked up to a ion turntable and a terrible crappy, integrated amp and a pair of crap (maybe even mismatched)speakers, and had three or four shody records thay played on it.

exactly why I upgraded. Granted i only have about 50 7" and 200 12" and a handful of 10" but i couldn't handle the thought that I was ruining my records with a cheap setup any longer.

although I still need a better receiver....

Well will have to see if this really is an audiophile TT or not. I highly doubt this will be the quality of an Ion, then again I also highly doubt it will be a $1000 TT either. My guess is that with a cart and stylus upgrade, this TT will be more than adequate. I just don't believe somebody will use the description of audiophile then sell u an Ion.

exactly why I upgraded. Granted i only have about 50 7" and 200 12" and a handful of 10" but i couldn't handle the thought that I was ruining my records with a cheap setup any longer.

although I still need a better receiver....

All it takes is a cart and Sylus upgrade to prevent ruining your records. As long as your anti-skate and tonearm weight is setup properly, it's virtually impossible to do so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...