Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

An athlete during the offseason should workout just like a normal joe if the goal is the same (to build strength).

Programming during the season is a much more complicated question, depending on the intensity and frequency of the sport, the muscles used, etc. But the general cycle of lift -> eat -> rest and recover -> lift a little more is always required if an athlete wants to grow stronger (whether the stress to the body comes on the field or in the gym).

How often does your buddy work out on that? Based on the limited info in the website, I wouldn't be surprised if it was still heavily based on time tested periodized workouts and mostly fronting that it is based on some measure of standing heartrate.

Guess I'm just sceptical of so much in the nutrition and fitness world. People make millions of dollars off snake oil because there is no regulation and people are so willing to throw dollars at pills/infomercial DVDs/Equipment but don't take the time to read a book on the subject.

Not familiar, but I googled it. This seemed to be the most reputable source on the first page:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/metabolic-damage

Sounds like bunk to me. The idea has been around for about 100 years as "overtraining". Just like the animals that we evolved from, our bodies are programmed to survive through things like droughts and famine. If you do a ton of exercise and don't eat, the body does its best to preserve fat stores (fails to repair broken down muscle, standing metabolism lowers, etc...). It thinks it is facing a famine. If people want to title it something different, who cares.

It is also the reason that I don't believe in cardio for anything more than a warmup. Abs are made in the kitchen and muscle is built lifting heavy weight followed by rest.

Maybe I'm not understanding the whole picture (willing to admit I haven't read much) and things like hormonal problems definitely fall into a different class. Just my 2 cents.

I checked that out, and its basically the understanding I had from it.  I've been hearing a lot about it from other people lately.  From my understanding, it basically just seems like a term that is being used for overtraining/excessive calorie restriction that causes our bodies to preserve as much fat as possible, like you said.  

My whole understanding of fitness has started to change in the last few months.  I used to run marathons a lot, but now I've been lifting 5 days a week, just throwing in some walking on off days an occasionally a few 15 min HIIT sessions.  It's so nice to not have to spend hours of time doing useless cardio.  

I (very) briefly looked over it and you should check this out http://www.bioforcehrv.com/

Basically what it does is by measuring your heart rate, tells you which days you should train the hardest and when you should let up and take days off. My friend is currently using this.

I'm not sure if they are related.  I've honestly never heard anything about this type of technology before, I'm gonna do a little more reading.  I don't really understand it.  

Guess I'm just sceptical of so much in the nutrition and fitness world. People make millions of dollars off snake oil because there is no regulation and people are so willing to throw dollars at pills/infomercial DVDs/Equipment but don't take the time to read a book on the subject.

This is so true, and unfortunate.  I work with a lot of people who are so misinformed and mislead through popular media/books/TV doctors.  The worst is that I feel like a lot of dietitians/nutritionists fall into this category too.

• 2 weeks later...

http://youtu.be/coL-mxO4OMk

I took a video of myself deadlifting because I didn't think my form was very good. I think other than my back being a bit rounded and hips not being quite low enough, it's pretty decent. This was a max of 360x5.

Edit: I don't know how to embed the video.

Yeah, your back is rounding a bit. Have you tried taking off your shoes, or wearing some chucks or vans? Being flat and closer to the ground has helped me in the past. Also, I messed around with sumos for a while and that really helped my back straighten out, front squats too.

I'm assuming your back looks better with a lighter weight. It seems like you're letting it down with your hands first, looks like your hips should be moving down with the bar, I feel like your back would look better doing this. And a minor note that I am always working on, try and keep your head and spine neutral. I'm always trying to keep my eyes down, and chin tucked in a bit.

Good points above. You might want to slow down a little too. Deep breath at the bottom, hold it through the lift, exhale at the bottom again. Maybe you are (can't see in the video) but helps to keep the whole trunk tight and avoid a rounding back.

360x5 is pretty nice though.

What belt do you wear? I don't use a belt when deadlifting cause it feels like it gets in the way at the bottom. Yours seems a lot thinner than the one I have though.

Think starting tomorrow I'm going to start doing 30 minutes on the elliptical every morning. Up to 215 and still have a decent build but doc says I have blood pressure that is a little too high (not high enough for drugs or anything, but just something to watch).

Time to give up a little strength and get back under 200. Hoping that doing some light cardio in the morning will let me recover enough to not drift too far on the lifting program after work.

Gonna eat a little lighter and really watch the salt intake too.

Yeah, your back is rounding a bit. Have you tried taking off your shoes, or wearing some chucks or vans? Being flat and closer to the ground has helped me in the past. Also, I messed around with sumos for a while and that really helped my back straighten out, front squats too.

I'm assuming your back looks better with a lighter weight. It seems like you're letting it down with your hands first, looks like your hips should be moving down with the bar, I feel like your back would look better doing this. And a minor note that I am always working on, try and keep your head and spine neutral. I'm always trying to keep my eyes down, and chin tucked in a bit.

Thanks for the tips guys. This is the most I've ever tried so unfortunately my form suffered. It's definitely better on lighter weights. 

I prefer to deadlift in just socks but one of the personal trainers gets mad at me every time. I filmed a warm-up set of 225 and in between she actually moved the bench I had my phone set up on so that she could sit on it. So during this set she was basically right next to me so I couldn't lift in socks. It threw me off a bit.

I definitely plan on working on form a few more weeks before trying another max lift. 

What belt do you wear? I don't use a belt when deadlifting cause it feels like it gets in the way at the bottom. Yours seems a lot thinner than the one I have though.

It's a Grizzly Fitness belt. http://grizzlyfitness.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=16

I really like it compared to a leather belt because it has a bit of give to it. I've tried a few leather belts but they usually dig in and hurt more than they help. I've hurt my back in the past so anything above 315 for deadlifts and I use a belt because I'm scared haha.

Thanks for the tips guys. This is the most I've ever tried so unfortunately my form suffered. It's definitely better on lighter weights. 

I prefer to deadlift in just socks but one of the personal trainers gets mad at me every time. I filmed a warm-up set of 225 and in between she actually moved the bench I had my phone set up on so that she could sit on it. So during this set she was basically right next to me so I couldn't lift in socks. It threw me off a bit.

I definitely plan on working on form a few more weeks before trying another max lift. 

Is she your personal trainer, or just an employee of the gym? Is that a gym policy? I'd be fired up if that shit happened to me, come interrupt my lift with some bullshit. 

These videos were taken from earlier this year, 225 and 285. Not much weight but my buddy and I were doing a ton of sets just working on form. I feel like my form is much different now, but anyways...

(shaky camera work and he doesn't know how to hold a phone haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXK1MxPMhUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0lUHBscpYE

I'm not sure if my ass still sits up that high, I may have changed that. My head and spine are far from neutral and I was extending at the top a little too much. Pretty sure I don't do that anymore, its hard to remember as I feel like I have a solid form and just kind of go for it without focusing on it much anymore.

She works at the gym. I believe it's a gym policy. No sandals, open toed shoes, or bare feet. For dead lifts I don't know why she cares because it's basically impossible to drop the weight on your feet. And even if someone managed to, a shoe isn't going to protect your foot anyway. Oh well, hopefully next time I do deadlifts she isn't there. 

Those look really good. One thing you do that I noticed I'm not doing, is taking time to reset your position between each rep. I used more of a touch and go, which doesn't help at all with form when you're getting up there in weight. It's amazing how much you can learn just by taking a video of yourself. I kind of felt like an idiot doing it but I'm glad I did.

She works at the gym. I believe it's a gym policy. No sandals, open toed shoes, or bare feet. For dead lifts I don't know why she cares because it's basically impossible to drop the weight on your feet. And even if someone managed to, a shoe isn't going to protect your foot anyway. Oh well, hopefully next time I do deadlifts she isn't there. 

Those look really good. One thing you do that I noticed I'm not doing, is taking time to reset your position between each rep. I used more of a touch and go, which doesn't help at all with form when you're getting up there in weight. It's amazing how much you can learn just by taking a video of yourself. I kind of felt like an idiot doing it but I'm glad I did.

Yeah, I don't take that long of pauses anymore, if I'm doing more weight or focusing on a certain aspect of my form I will. But I'm pretty confident in my form now, so I just go. 

Edit...I'm a smoker and a heavy weed smoker, for like the first year of deadlifting I would get sooooo fucking light headed. The first 6 months, I could only do one rep at a time because I would almost pass out. Now I can go all day without that happening. I always thought it was from smoking, but those habits haven't changed. I think it was just my body getting used to the exercise, and maybe some breathing issues. I don't know, but the first year sucked for me.  

I've been powerlifting for a little over a year now, and my deadlift is by far my best lift. I hit a PR a couple weeks ago of 415 at a body weight of 145 (I'm working really hard to get a triple body weight max). I just mention that to establish a little credibility for the few tips that I have:

1. Lose the straps. Use chalk if you have to, but personally I despise straps/hooks. My college gym technically doesn't allow chalk but I just hide it in my shoe and clean up after myself and they haven't said anything.

2. Wrestling shoes work extremely well for deadlifting. I used to just take my shoes off, but I decided to try some wrestling shoes and I love it. I feel that it gives me a little bit more stability.

3. To help prevent your back rounding out, think about having your shoulder blades pulled back at all times, if that makes sense. That should help you keep a solid arch.

4. I can't tell from any of the videos posted that anyone is doing this wrong, but I see dudes in my gym do it ALL THE TIME. Make sure that your feet and hands are close enough together so that your arms are straight up and down. Whenever you widen your grip and put your arms at an angle, you're just making it harder.

5. This last one will probably not make any sense when you read it, but it made a huge difference when I started doing it. This is most applicable when you're doing a heavy single or double. After I'm set, I will lift my butt up as I'm taking my big breath, then bring it down quickly as I start the rep and kind of roll my hips under the bar to get some momentum off the ground. That's the best way I can possibly explain it haha

I've been powerlifting for a little over a year now, and my deadlift is by far my best lift. I hit a PR a couple weeks ago of 415 at a body weight of 145 (I'm working really hard to get a triple body weight max). I just mention that to establish a little credibility for the few tips that I have:

1. Lose the straps. Use chalk if you have to, but personally I despise straps/hooks. My college gym technically doesn't allow chalk but I just hide it in my shoe and clean up after myself and they haven't said anything.

I don't use straps now, but I was thinking of buying a pair because my grip strength in my left hand is so weak. I literally can't hold on. Chalk probably won't help that, right?

2. Wrestling shoes work extremely well for deadlifting. I used to just take my shoes off, but I decided to try some wrestling shoes and I love it. I feel that it gives me a little bit more stability.

3. To help prevent your back rounding out, think about having your shoulder blades pulled back at all times, if that makes sense. That should help you keep a solid arch.

4. I can't tell from any of the videos posted that anyone is doing this wrong, but I see dudes in my gym do it ALL THE TIME. Make sure that your feet and hands are close enough together so that your arms are straight up and down. Whenever you widen your grip and put your arms at an angle, you're just making it harder.

5. This last one will probably not make any sense when you read it, but it made a huge difference when I started doing it. This is most applicable when you're doing a heavy single or double. After I'm set, I will lift my butt up as I'm taking my big breath, then bring it down quickly as I start the rep and kind of roll my hips under the bar to get some momentum off the ground. That's the best way I can possibly explain it haha

A deadlift is supposed to start from a complete stop. Rolling to gain momentum is kinda cheating. Similar to someone bouncing the bar off their chest during a bench. 415 is still a great lift regardless of how you do it but a true max lift would start from a dead stop.

I don't use straps now, but I was thinking of buying a pair because my grip strength in my left hand is so weak. I literally can't hold on. Chalk probably won't help that, right?

Just use straps. It's foolish to limit progress on a critical lift to work on strengthening your hands (a relatively small, unimportant muscle).

Work on grip strength during warmup sets where the straps aren't needed.

Yes chalk will help that. Chalk will function the same as straps while actually improving your grip strength.

A deadlift is supposed to start from a complete stop. Rolling to gain momentum is kinda cheating. Similar to someone bouncing the bar off their chest during a bench. 415 is still a great lift regardless of how you do it but a true max lift would start from a dead stop.

I roll my hips/body, not the bar. I don't know that what you're thinking of is even possible haha basically what I'm saying is, it is from a dead stop.

I thought you were talking about relying on a stretch reflex of your calves/Hammies to bounce out of the bottom, which is cheating the lift.

I'll agree its a little hard to know 100% what you mean. The test would be whether you can lift the same weight from a complete dead stop. If you can, then it's obviously a legit number.

I thought you were talking about relying on a stretch reflex of your calves/Hammies to bounce out of the bottom, which is cheating the lift.

I'll agree its a little hard to know 100% what you mean. The test would be whether you can lift the same weight from a complete dead stop. If you can, then it's obviously a legit number.

When I've done it in USAPL powerlifting competitions, I believe it's a legit number. You may disagree, and that's okay.

"Legit" is definitely a matter of perspective. I wouldn't consider any lift done in a squat suit as legit but plenty of competitions allow them.

What are you lifting, 100 pound plates? It doesn't look like enough for 400 but the video is blurry.

I've never been a fan of squat suits/bench shirts either. I always enter competitions "raw" (just a belt and wrist wraps)

In competitions they us kilogram plates. I believe those are 25 kg plates, which would make them around 55 pounds. And yeah my friend took the video and then sent it to me, so it looks really blurry on instagram.

• 2 weeks later...

First day of going with only a protein shake (or two) throughout the day at work. I got into the bad habit of going out for lunch everyday. Money not a problem, but I was eating some shit food. Hard not to at restaurants.

Kinda sucks. I like getting out for a half hour every day. Needed to do it though.

Hey team, read everything so far and taken in a bunch of tips. 

I started working out about 3 months ago now. I was 5'10" and about 240ish lbs. Strong legs, most of my fat sat in my gut/chest and I had almost no arm strength at all. 

Currently I'm about 220lbs. I'm sort of not entirely sure what I'm trying to do in terms of gain muscle/lose weight. I initially set my goal as just being able to fit comfortably into certain pieces of clothing, this was mainly being able to button shit up around my gut and lose the manboobies. 

I think I'm looking to gain strength while also drop some weight. Usual day for me:

- eat 2 eggs scrambled, sometimes on a piece of brown toast with a tomato or avacado and drink a smoothie (a banana, 10 strawberries, bunch of kale)

- Get to gym about 2 hrs after waking up, start with a brief stretch and about 3 minutes of skipping (my stretch is pretty specific, I've done some damage to particular areas drumming over the years)

- I'm sort of lost when it comes to working out as I've never done it/have no one in my family in shape. I sort of just watch what goes on around me and use some machines. Generally though I bounce between 2 back targeting machines, two chest, I do a lot of this machine that is basically like upright sit ups but I pull some handles down by my head as I do the sit up with weights attached (this sounds so dumb, I don't know what anything is called though), I use the cable machine a bit for stuff that feels like it targets the core and my arms. I spend a bit of time on leg machines but my legs are by far my strongest, most defined area that I just do lots of weight a few reps on them (usually about 300lbs 10-12 times and move on) 

- I've just gotten into free weights and almost immediately noticed a difference. Any links to youtube where I can see what's going on would be much appreciated. I feel like I should start eliminating some machines and switch to free weights I just need some tips on exercises to do. 

- I usually end with about 15 minutes on the elliptical doing intervals (heart rate up, heart rate down)

- I drink a natural? I guess protein shake (I think it's made from Hemp, potato and some other shit. It was on sale...) about 30 minutes after when I get to work.

- I usually do chicken and brown rice for lunch, or chili when I make it. Dinner is my worst meal usually as my biggest problem is over-eating and I know that. The meal tips have been great here though and I'm going to start correcting that though. 

I guess my main concerns are getting some guidance on the free weights stuff because already I'm stronger, have definition in my arms and more power in the little time I've used them only doing two exercises. From what I gathered I think I'll be getting nuts (are almonds best? Does it matter?), fish oil and more leafy greens in my diet but any other tips are always welcomed. I think i'd like to get down to 200lbs but I'm not as concerned with cutting weight as I am losing inches if that's possible or makes sense?

Anyways, thanks everyone. This has already been eye opening. 

Think you've read a bit of this thread so won't go into too much detail.

Starting Strength by Rippetoe is the go to book on free weights. Mentioned it a few times but can't hurt to keep putting up here. You are 100% right you need to ditch the machines. The general idea is that the body has evolved to move in a certain way and there are a few key lifts that work the muscles of the body in these ways (squat, deadlift, bench are the big three). Everyone who gets serious into strength training ends up at free weights. What good is locking your body into a machine that can only move in one direction? You'll never encounter that in your life.

The book is an easy read and tells exactly what you are looking for (how to breath, space your feet, common mistakes, etc). You can buy it or easily find it online in the usual ways.

Why drinking potato protein? Whey is the go-to. It's a complete protein (every necessary amino acid) and is broken down by the body very quickly (so it is usable fast). Its no big deal if you finish out what you have, but don't buy more. That stuff is really only needed by vegans.

And if you like the gym, cool. But it's considerably more expensive than lifting at home. There's always stuff on Craigslist and you can get everything you need for ~300. Really, it's free though. If you buy at a low price, you can pretty much always sell for the same price. Iron doesn't decrease in value if clean. Gotta have the space though.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm going to try to get back into shape and I might need a little help on which route to go:

Current weight is around 135-140. I don't want to be buff or anything, but I'm looking at getting cut. I don't have too much fat on my body, but I do have a "gut". I haven't worked out in years and I'm going to be getting a gym membership here shortly. What I'm thinking as far as routine would be 1 hour workouts either every day or every other day and would consist of 10-20 minutes of cardio and the rest would be divided into machines/free weights/abs. I would need the most help in the following areas:

Which workouts would be best for this type of start up?

What protein should I begin to take? I know whey is the go to, but which brand, etc. I would either do the following with protein: Take in the morning before I go to work (substitute for breakfast) or after my workout.

Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks