Marantz 1150 integrated input

• 2 weeks later...

Because I don't need that kinda power right now, my neighbours would go crazy broadway style!

Besides, Marantz always conservatively rated themselves, and to very high actual performance standard. The 1060 for instance is rated 30 watts per channel, but you wouldn't say if you hear this amp in action. Plenty of juice for my setup right now.

But hey, I wouldn't say no to a 2330b if someone offered me one. I'm not that picky.

Btw, Marantz is never wimpy ;)

It's all about synergy, kids. How well do the components in your system work with one another? And let's not forget build quality, usefulness of features and of course the purely subjective qualifier: "how does it sound to you?"

I can't really speak to the 2275 vs the 2330B (or the 1150) as I've never heard any of them. I'm just saying that bigger does not always equal better. Sure, if you've got power-hungry speakers, you should probably be thirsty for more juice, but the 2275's 75 RMS is PUH-LENTY of power for most of you on this board.

Beside, there's probably some truth built into the hype of the 2275; it obviously impresses a lot of Marantz fans.

On the other side of the coin, sometimes bigger is better. Given similar components from the same manufacturer, I often opt for more power and features as well!

I'm really not arguing anything here; I'm merely positing that the specs can tell you a lot about equipment, but I always let my ears be the judge. I've heard 15 RMS receivers that sound warm and musical and 100 + RMS receivers that come across as sterile and boring.

To the original poster, I'd do research on both models, and then post of a few audio message boards asking for comments from anyone who has heard both amps and can offer some direct comparison.

Regarding the Marantz 1150, it boils down to what you'd have to spend on it. I have their top tier integrated from that era, model 1300DC. To me, it's definitely not worth the going rate. Amps like 1060, 1070, 1090 are really good for what they cost, which is around $150 for a perfectly working unit. But the bigger, usually rarer models are insanely overpriced. The sound is a bit more refined than the lower models, but still far from what you get for the same price with a newer amp. So yes, a good budget option, but the pricier models should be considered more as collectors items than serious audio components. Now I'm strictly speaking about 70s marantz stuff, because I've had a lot of experience with those.