Audio Technica ATLP120-USB.....

Around a year or so ago, I bought the ATLP120-USB and ever since I bought it I've been using it and loving it. For the price, is it really one of the best models out there? One of these days when I have a nice cushy job I imagine I can do better, but is mine a good choice....the only additions I've made to it is switching out the factory cartridge and added a Shure M97xE, and calibrated the weight to 2 grams (anything lower and the needle won't stay on the record for some reason). I'm running it through an ARTcessories preamp into an Onkyo 7.1 receiver (only currently using 5.1 due to the size of my bedroom). I love the sound it's putting out but something tells me I'm missing out on something. Any ideas?

While true, it is a low end table, It's a fine place to start. The Shure cart is a good step up (I wouldn't worry about the counterweight as I've had the same issues with that cart on various tables). It's also true that you ARE missing a lot, but to help us understand what you may be looking for when you say you are missing something, it would be very helpful to go into more detail about what it might be that you feel you are missing.

I switch the audio to stereo to just have it playing through the front stereo channels....occasionally depending on the record I switch it over to 5.1 for an "enhanced" experience.

I'm not sure what it is I feel like I'm missing, because when I play them through Superlux headphones everything sounds great.....I just feel like there's something I need.

What's the best next step up?

So to help you not feel overwhelmed, the difference between headphones and speakers is, well, almost incomparable. To better replicate what you are getting from your headphones, I too, would recommend upgrading your speakers. Your speakers in your HTIB are probably really relying on your sub for bass and therefore are really missing the oomph and body that you get from your headphones.

Check out Polk Audio on Newegg. They always have sales and the speakers are great. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202 these are only $140 and they will really impress you. Big upgrade for both your music and movies.

I recently directed an non-music lover to buy a new bottom end Yamaha receiver and a pair of polk Monitor 30s. He was blown away and very impressed. This guy wouldn't have said it if he didn't mean it. He just wanted his music to sound better, and he was out growing his old system.

Don't be afraid to build a system step by step. This is a great way to experience how things change with just one new component.

I'm always careful about telling people that they need to upgrade. After all, I have no idea what your listening habits are and how passionate you are about audio equipment. Sure, you're probably missing out on some of the finer things in life, but it's not like upgrading from the ATLP120 to a Pro-Ject Debut (for example) is going to result in a mind-blowingly better listening experience.

Having said that, it seems to me that if you're asking the question, "how can I get more from my records?' then maybe it is time to start down the long, enjoyable road of audiophilia.

Normally I would tell you to begin with the turntable as the number one upgrade priority, but as others have mentioned, I would consider the speakers first. The ATLP120 isn't terrible and I think you'd discover a more noticeable improvement in sound by upgrading the speakers. After that I'd consider a good standalone preamp ... and then you should start thinking about a new turntable and cartridge. And of course you'll eventually need a better amp.

After that, the sky is the limit, but once you have all the bases covered, that's when you can start swapping cartridges, trying different types of styluses, playing around with speaker placement / room acoustics and all sorts of other fun stuff that is relatively inexpensive. The best part of this hobby is experimenting with various components, but you need to first get to a point where you're relatively happy with how your system sounds.

Thanks for all the replies guys I really do appreciate it. Once I get a better job and can start affording to buy new speakers and stuff, I will work on getting into the audiophile world.

If $140 is too much (we all have different incomes and priorities), I would familiarize your self with some quality brands and check craigslist everyday. The second hand speaker market is super soft and most speakers sell for under half their retail value used.

I sold some great JBL tower speakers a couple of years ago. The were huge, an ugly birch color, and had the cones pushed in. I bought them 10 years prior for $100 each open box from BestBuy as is (cones pushed in, but they sounded fine). I listed them on craigslist for $100 for the pair. Didn't get a call for 2 weeks. Lowered them to $50 for the pair and got a call. The guys comes to check them out. A you teenager w/ his mom. I demo the speakers for them, he is just getting into music, and is really impressed by their size and sound. I start to unhook them for him and he and is mom are talking in hushed tones. He offers me $40. Happy to help a budding music fan, I accept. He looks at his Mom, stunned, like "that was easy". Point is, there are deals out there.