HUM - You'd Prefer An Astronaut LP from SRC All Pressings Discussion

jhulud

I can't find where I read it, but it was supposedly from the master tapes. Using a CD as a source to master a record, is pointless, might as well buy the cheaper CD since the quality is the same.

I can't find where I read it, but it was supposedly from the master tapes. Using a CD as a source to master a record, is pointless, might as well buy the cheaper CD since the quality is the same.

agreed but it doesn't stop people from buying up the plain/4 men with beards catalog or ETR stuff

Remastered from what though? Sourcing is important, I mean ETR had Cartel remastered from a used cd. I realize it probably matters less with modern music but cutting something from a high rez digital file from the master/from master tapes (not sure the source but given the era it was probably a digital master) vs a lower quality digital or copied source is going to have degradation of  sound. This is the reason uk pressings of beatles/sabbath beat out the US pressings any day. They copied the master and sent it overseas to cut the US counterparts. Which is why I don't get in bed with most of these reissue labels, if it's not going to beat out a cd why bother? I buy in to plenty of these releases where the vinyl doesn't sound much different from the cd but it's usually an official pressing released when the album comes out rather than a cash grab reissue on src/plain/4 men with beards (I like MOV cause they use masters or high rez transfers from masters when they are unable to get the tapes)

Matt told me it was recorded to multitrack analog tape but then mixed to DAT. I'm assuming the DAT was a stereo master from which all CD's and LP's were originally cut.

Remastered from what though? Sourcing is important, I mean ETR had Cartel remastered from a used cd. I realize it probably matters less with modern music but cutting something from a high rez digital file from the master/from master tapes (not sure the source but given the era it was probably a digital master) vs a lower quality digital or copied source is going to have degradation of  sound. This is the reason uk pressings of beatles/sabbath beat out the US pressings any day. They copied the master and sent it overseas to cut the US counterparts. Which is why I don't get in bed with most of these reissue labels, if it's not going to beat out a cd why bother? I buy in to plenty of these releases where the vinyl doesn't sound much different from the cd but it's usually an official pressing released when the album comes out rather than a cash grab reissue on src/plain/4 men with beards (I like MOV cause they use masters or high rez transfers from masters when they are unable to get the tapes)

So the US Beatles/Sabbath aren't good for you because they copied a master(to tape mind you at the time these albums were made) but a MOV digital transfer file is ok?

Plain and 4MWB have never confirmed source material. Kevin Shields started that whole sourced from a cd after loveless because he was butthurt he didn't do it and still hasn't. Are all of their reissues the best? No they aren't but don't dump everything in the same category because MOV does the same stuff. Some of the recording used on some of these reissues wasnt very good to start with

So the US Beatles/Sabbath aren't good for you because they copied a master(to tape mind you at the time these albums were made) but a MOV digital transfer file is ok?

Plain and 4MWB have never confirmed source material. Kevin Shields started that whole sourced from a cd after loveless because he was butthurt he didn't do it and still hasn't. Are all of their reissues the best? No they aren't but don't dump everything in the same category because MOV does the same stuff. Some of the recording used on some of these reissues wasnt very good to start with

high rez transfer from a master is better than a 2nd or 3rd generation copy of a master tape yes. You can find source citations from people in contact with the label on the SHTV forums if you want for 4mwb/plain, but I can tell you from first hand experience those plain reissues are all shit.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Andthejets27 said:

Anyone else's copy of this sound awful? I believe I have clear with black or grey splatter. My copy is not only quiet but the "heavy" or "loud" parts of their songs sound overly distorted 

Mine sounds fine, it is is one of the first SRC presses.  I haven't heard about the later ones.

15 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

If SRC's store has the white/green listed as "backorder" (1-2 weeks) does this mean I will get a copy or will it just get cancelled? Thanks!

Since they pressed it, I'd assume they're waiting on a new press of it.  I doubt they'd back order one of their exclusives if they weren't going to repress it, but with SRC who knows?

On 3/7/2016 at 11:19 AM, GhostTrail said:

Also probably the wrong thread, but worthy of a bump. Looks like they're working on their first new music in almost 20 years!

https://www.facebook.com/humbandofficial/

I had a chat with a barista in my neighborhood wearing a Hum shirt a few months ago, who said he's high school friends with Tim Lash and that they were indeed working on new music. :)