HUM - You'd Prefer An Astronaut LP from SRC All Pressings Discussion

jhulud

suggestions of bands that are similar to hum?

I always thought Switchfoot's "Stars" intro sounded like a straight Hum riff. Not to mention the name of the song.

Not that they're similar bands, I just thought I'd point this out. A lot of bands seemed to rip-off this kind of riffage in recent years. Yellowcard comes to mind.

Failure, Year of the Rabbit, Shiner, The Life and Times, Slint, Three Mile Pilot, Velocity Girl are all bands you should give a listen to. Most I mentioned are in the same playing field as Hum but not exactly like them or anything.

well... that was the best response i could have hoped for haha. making a list.

They may not be exactly like them but when I was introduced to Hum, those were all the other bands we all listened to

Also check out Ridel High. It's poppy but damn, it's fun. Plus Joey Cape produced it waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.

Keith Cleversley produced the album (Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Verve, Spiritualized, Posies, etc...). Listen to The Lips' "Transmissions...." album, that would be a good reference point in regards to production value, in my opinion.

For those interested in Keith's words on this album, click below (good read, by the way):

http://www.cleversle...tar-sounds-how/

Certainly looking forward to the SRC pressing; the U.K Dedicated version annihilates the U.S. Cargo version. The sound quality is far superb and I always preferred how Dedicated decided to use the photo (of the band in some vehicle) to wrap around the dust sleeve, as opposed to the Cargo version which had the photo on the label affixed to the vinyl. Didn't care for the foldout poster (Matt's wife, perhaps?) either with the Cargo LP....

If Fillet Show ever gets the proper vinyl treatment, I'm buying.