PO - Death Cab for Cutie - The Barsuk Years LMTD Ed Collection

I just read that thread that was posted about the Beck & Sigur Ros boxsets being messed up and they mentioned those were Rainbo pressings and that AinR were frustrated with them and were looking to work with someone else on future projects.

Guess AinR lied.

According to Barsuk (via this thread on stevehoffman), these were pressed at Pallas, not Rainbo. Post #12 here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/death-cab-for-cutie-the-barsuk-years-180g-vinyl-box-set-from-arists-in-residence.300991/

According to Barsuk (via this thread on stevehoffman), these were pressed at Pallas, not Rainbo. Post #12 here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/death-cab-for-cutie-the-barsuk-years-180g-vinyl-box-set-from-arists-in-residence.300991/

True. Thanks for clearing it up! (& clearing Rainbo's name, too, haha.)

I just added all of the mislabeled versions to Discogs, btw.

What's the discogs rule about listing parts of a box set separately? I'm guessing since the mislabeled records weren't available separately, they wouldn't get their own entries, no?

If anything, the corrected versions would get entries since those will be sent out separately from the box set. I could be completely wrong, of course.

What's the discogs rule about listing parts of a box set separately? I'm guessing since the mislabeled records weren't available separately, they wouldn't get their own entries, no?

If anything, the corrected versions would get entries since those will be sent out separately from the box set. I could be completely wrong, of course.

i don't think it really matters. i'd say they'd go separately since they were mistakes and they'll probably end up getting circulated separately. where the replacements will go in people's boxes.

It wasn't too much of a stretch to assume this was Rainbo, heh. I'm not familiar with Pallas at all. I guess they did the Transatlanticism remaster/reissue, which supposedly sounds excellent.

The plant has a very small role in determining the overall sound quality of a record. 

Has Rainbo botched some other big project that I didn't hear about? I'm just curious where the collective Rainbo hate originated. 

The plant has a very small role in determining the overall sound quality of a record. 

Has Rainbo botched some other big project that I didn't hear about? I'm just curious where the collective Rainbo hate originated. 

Specifically relating to AinR, they had problems with the Sigur Ros and Beck box sets that were pressed at Rainbo. That's supposedly why they switched to Pallas.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/has-anyone-had-any-experience-with-artist-in-residence.171102/

They are cheap for a reason. Google user reviews of the Beatles Box Set they did recently. There are many complaints about the quality. You don't hear stuff like this about RTI. You get what you pay for.

EDIT: here's one thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-issues/forum/FxUMOU7210LYBW/TxL1HAV5N8HLTI/1?asin=B0041KVW2K

i don't think it really matters. i'd say they'd go separately since they were mistakes and they'll probably end up getting circulated separately. where the replacements will go in people's boxes.

Exactly. If anything, a separate box set entry could be added for complete sets that contain the mislabeled versions. We don't know how many sets A+R has actually released with the mislabeled versions, and surely they've halted shipping in the meantime.

Other than the label fiasco, the discs are absolutely beautiful.

hopefully they haven't halted shipment. my understanding is boxes are going out as is since the delays have already been nuts and the records still play.

my questions now are

1. how long until the replacement records can be sent out

2. will the replacement records come in new jackets?

3. was this actually the reason for the original delay?

Specifically relating to AinR, they had problems with the Sigur Ros and Beck box sets that were pressed at Rainbo. That's supposedly why they switched to Pallas.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/has-anyone-had-any-experience-with-artist-in-residence.171102/

They are cheap for a reason. Google user reviews of the Beatles Box Set they did recently. There are many complaints about the quality. You don't hear stuff like this about RTI. You get what you pay for.

EDIT: here's one thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-issues/forum/FxUMOU7210LYBW/TxL1HAV5N8HLTI/1?asin=B0041KVW2K

Fair enough, but I still think its a crapshoot overall. Both RTI and Rainbo are pressing the same way with the same weight. I think when you compare to Pallas/GZ/Furnace who are using DMM there is a bigger difference, but I honestly don't have the ear of the body of records to make a fair comparison. 

I just think a lot of people tend to say "that plant sucks!" when in reality its usually the source/lacquers that are terrible. If a Bernie Grundman mastering job was sent to Rainbo or RTI I think you'd get the same result. 

Clearly speculating here, but maybe they realized this two months ago and have been trying to think of a solution. Once they reached a solution to replace the mislabeled LPs they went ahead and shipped the boxes out as is and they'll ship the replacements quicker now. Who knows, though?

I'd be surprised if we see the replacements before the end of summer.

the mastering, plating and parts are the most time-consuming parts of the process. all they gotta to is stick the stampers (if they had more than one) and throw them on the press. they could have them done in a week if there weren't other projects backing them up. though if this is truly the plant's fault, they should push their other projects back first.

hopefully they haven't halted shipment. my understanding is boxes are going out as is since the delays have already been nuts and the records still play.

my questions now are

1. how long until the replacement records can be sent out

2. will the replacement records come in new jackets?

I really hope they sent new jackets too.

Cause some of my jackets are fucked up because they were glued Inside the slots of the box.  

the mastering, plating and parts are the most time-consuming parts of the process. all they gotta to is stick the stampers (if they had more than one) and throw them on the press. they could have them done in a week if there weren't other projects backing them up. though if this is truly the plant's fault, they should push their other projects back first.

And at 1,500 copies, the plant definitely has more than one set of stampers.

You've given me hope, haha.  I don't have much knowledge on the different steps of pressing records, so this puts a lot of it into perspective for me. Thank you!

+ I totally agree, it would be courteous of the pressing plant to make these corrections a priority.