Starting a Vinyl collection

Hi

I have recently started a vinyl collection. I love the way vinyl is packaged (the artwork etc..) It's so much more fun to buy vinyl as opposed to cds. I feel that I am collecting something as oppossed to cds where I just feel like I am collecting songs.

however, i find it hard to let go of cds because they are just so much more convenient than lps and can be taken anywhere.

Also, I find it more and more that Vinyl (espcially new ones) are much more expensive than cds.

So I am a little conflicted.

I was wondering if anyone has this same conflict and if people still buy cds.

thanks

I still buy CDs. I try to keep my vinyl collection strictly punk/hardcore etc...Any other genres: hip-hop, indie, classic rock etc...I pick up on CD. I also have two methods of burning vinyl to CD (my stereo has a CD burner that I route my turntable through and I have a USB turntable to convert LPs to WAV and MP3 files), so if I really like an album I either burn it or download it.

Welcome to the club, martin101. What record got you to start collecting? You'll find it's quite the (costly) addiction, but with communities like this and tons of amazing releases it is crazy fun.

Thanks evreyone

Well I have always loved the vinyl format. I'm 27 and as a kid my uncle had some Bealtles records and I just remember discovering those albums when I was young and liking the music and looking at the LP artwork and wondering who these guys with the funny hair and beards were. You just dont get that with cd's.

But I mostly have been buying cd's for years until I went to a jenny lewis concert at Town Hall in NYC and saw this girl holding this LP of her 1st album and thinking "man I have the cd but that looks sooo much more cooler." So I went to the village and bought the album and I have been buying since.

And now I discovered Ebay.

I just bought an Elvis at Sun LP on amazon for a very cheap $7... I like is early stuff and the cover just seeemd so cool.

Guest scriptedrain

I haven't bought a CD since The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible came out. And I sold a lot of random CDs I had that I didn't listen to anymore a couple months ago. There's only two reasons I find the need for CDs right now:

1. Ripping them in high quality so I have them on my computer.

2. Listening to them in my car.

And I rarely drive, but when I do, I can either pop in a CD I haven't listened to in a while or make a mix (which I haven't done in ages).

Either way, welcome to the board! I think you'll like it here. Most people on here are nice and friendly and know how to type, which makes this place rare air on the net.

Oh, and you'll want to make a list, whether it be on Google Spreadsheets (with an Excel document) or Recordnerd or wherever. It's neat to keep track of and write in comments and such, and it will also be nice for people you talk to who want to see what you own for curiousity and trade factors.

- Jeff

Also, I find it more and more that Vinyl (espcially new ones) are much more expensive than cds.

thanks

Um...I don't really think so. Maybe it's just me, but usually I think the vinyl is the same price or a few bucks cheaper. Then again, it kind of depends on where you buy the vinyl or cd.

Welcome to the boards!

-Andy

I have been collecting vinyl for 15+ years and I still buy CD's. I'm like hickey in that the focus of my vinyl buying/collecting is mostly hardcore and punk. Right now the amount of CD's I own greatly outnumbers the vinyl I have...but it's all good to me...music is meant to be enjoyed no matter what format.

With that said...welcome aboard...you're going to find yourself buying more and more vinyl thanks to this place. I know I have been...

i still buy cds. sometimes its convenience, sometimes its just because it's the only format it's on. but honestly, the cds i buy, i don't even listen to. if i, like many others on here, buy the record, i download the mp3s. kinda difficult now, though, esp. being on the campus network. :P

Are there collectors who only collect 7' or 10' singles?

There most likely are! I really started out with tons of 7"'s mainly because that's all that the bands in my area (popes, slapstick, etc) put out. I started on the LP's because well, now those are in greater quantities than 7"s (at least of bands I listen to)

-andy

Are there collectors who only collect 7' or 10' singles?

There most likely are! I really started out with tons of 7"'s mainly because that's all that the bands in my area (popes, slapstick, etc) put out. I started on the LP's because well, now those are in greater quantities than 7"s (at least of bands I listen to)

-andy

I'm the opposite. I don't have many 7 inches. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of mine.

I'm the nerd that needs to hear a new album as soon as it comes out. Sometimes waiting for the vinyl release sucks so I will buy the CD early and then re-buy the vinyl when it comes out.(Portugal. the Man)

Other times I buy everything including CD and Vinyl at the same time(Modern Life is War)

I am almost done re-buying albums that changed my life on Vinyl when I get to that point it will become much cheaper to collect Vinyl.

I never buy CDs, just vinyl for me. If a band doesn´t do vinyl, I´m not buying the record.

CDs are just some medium for recording stuff to me, just like floppy discs or cassettes.

I usually download mp3s of the records I bought, for listening in the car or on the ipod. So yeah, for me also: vinyl + mp3

Guest falloutcollapse

i download everything. then if its available and i have the money, i buy the vinyl now. the only exception is the new bled cd. haven't downloaded it, because i'm so excited for the vinyl.