Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

Every RSD I hope we'll hear the Bernie cut of AEnima for Classic will be released by Tool.

No friggin' way I can afford $400+ for a test pressing, but have thought about it a few times! My Classic cuts of Zeppelin and Peter Gabriel are so good.

It's not different mastering. Those were pressed from the same metal parts as the standard release (which is way friggin' expensive too!). I know because I've owned multiple copies of both. Same exact matrix info all the way down to the handwriting and font size. While we're wishing upon a star, I'd like to see their entire catalogue get a 45rpm audiophile treatment from a reissue group like Analogue Productions. Maybe mastered by Kevin Grey. That would be the holy grail of wax!

So I came across a copy of the Salival boot, still sealed in the foil poly bag. For those who have a copy, any advice on the best way to open and preserve the foil bag? Cut it at the top? The side?

That's what I've heard from a few different people now. I'm sure it's going to be insane. I read a recent interview with one of the band members about the lights they are bringing with them, and even reading about those got me pumped.

If for some reason you still haven't opened it in a month, I recommend opening it from the right side as I did, which allows it to be slipped into a plastic sleeve with the opening on top.

Also, just saw tool and primus on Halloween in Tempe, and both were incredible! Tool's setlist was unexpected and hugely satisfying.

It's not different mastering. Those were pressed from the same metal parts as the standard release (which is way friggin' expensive too!). I know because I've owned multiple copies of both. Same exact matrix info all the way down to the handwriting and font size. While we're wishing upon a star, I'd like to see their entire catalogue get a 45rpm audiophile treatment from a reissue group like Analogue Productions. Maybe mastered by Kevin Grey. That would be the holy grail of wax!

I would just about wet me boxers if AP announced these!

I just want a repress of Aenima on 2XLP at 33 1/3 RPM on standard gram black wax from the original master tapes with identical packaging to the original vinyl release. No silvery, crazy, new reimagined artwork bullshit like they do with shit these days. Just press the fucker normal and do a fucking good job on the lacquer. Why this not happen now?

While we're at it, let's a have a black (non-picture) standard gram Lateralus 2XLP with the tracklist unfucked-with.

And get 10,000 Days done while we're at it.

Can I get an amen?

• 1 month later...

I think there's some red tape with Zoo/BMG and Dissectional and whoever the hell else has their hands on the rights to Ænima and I think it has a lot to with some other lawsuit they had with that label back in like '99 or '00. You'd think they would have reissued it by now since it goes for about $400 in poor condition. They'd be printing money as long as they don't go the Superunknown route and charge 50 fucking dollars for the damn thing.

Lateralus could be recut and repressed any moment by why would they do that when they can still sell in print copies of the picture disc for $30 to $40 a pop.

And its been 10 years since 10,000 Days was originally released. It took them about 4 years to get the Lateralus vinyl pressed. So we're overdue for that one.

Am I the only one who questions the validity of all the Aenima 200g Test Presses for sale.

There is said to be 20 known to exist. There is 2 currently for sale on eBay (there were 3), and 1 was on Discogs for sale last month. Also, has anyone ever owned a test press that was sealed?

I suspect someone may be making fakes.

At this point I've just accepted that we should be thankful for what Tool stuff is out and hope that if a new album ever does happen it gets released on vinyl, I doubt reissues will ever occur until people start dying, hopefully it's not the case, but I definitely don't wake up everyday hoping that 10,000 Days is finally being officially pressed or for an Ænima reissue.