Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

7 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

That's weird. I wonder what the deal is. Maybe its finally a non-picture disc press. I would go in for that. Not at that ridiculous price though.

Looks like it is the picture disc version and Undertow and Opiate are being reissued too.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/search?q=Tool

I have a black copy of Lateralus, it's def an unofficial press. A well done one, but it IS unofficial. It's on Discogs as well.

Certainly looks like another picture disk of Lateralus. WTF Tool, you are killing us over here.

What they need to do is take the Chris Bellman master, and throw it on black wax.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Not going to say a whole lot until more details surface, but if you've been in the market for a copy of a non-bootleg Aenima, and have been contemplating shelling out $100-$200+, this is a fair warning to sit tight and save your money.

14 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Not going to say a whole lot until more details surface, but if you've been in the market for a copy of a non-bootleg Aenima, and have been contemplating shelling out $100-$200+, this is a fair warning to sit tight and save your money.

So let's entertain this idea. If a new pressing was done, would it use the Classic Records (BG/CB) cut, or would it use a new one? Was the CR cut from analog tape? Does analog tape of this record exist? Most likely a new pressing would be cut from 24/96 digital. It could be analog if it exists, but recent history favors a digital source cut.

Obviously I'd want a analog cut, the CR cut would be awesome. Could it be bettered? I wouldn't know, I've never heard it or an original pressing. 

And finally, we're here, we all love vinyl, right? The CD sounds VERY good. Why anyone would want to waste money on a counterfeit vinyl copy is beyond me.

1 hour ago, kannibal said:

So let's entertain this idea. If a new pressing was done, would it use the Classic Records (BG/CB) cut, or would it use a new one? Was the CR cut from analog tape? Does analog tape of this record exist? Most likely a new pressing would be cut from 24/96 digital. It could be analog if it exists, but recent history favors a digital source cut.

Obviously I'd want a analog cut, the CR cut would be awesome. Could it be bettered? I wouldn't know, I've never heard it or an original pressing. 

And finally, we're here, we all love vinyl, right? The CD sounds VERY good. Why anyone would want to waste money on a counterfeit vinyl copy is beyond me.

I really do hope that it is cut from the original analog tape. My understanding of the production of that record in particular is that the multitracks are analog and there should be an analog stereo master for it that the laquer could be cut from. Though you're right about the times wherein awesome classic analog recordings are being bounced to digital multitracks and then mastered for vinyl from there like the fucking Led Zeppelin remasters and the Beatles boxes, there are still those labels who push the analog side even now like that upcoming Cranberries debut reissue/remaster.

6 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I really do hope that it is cut from the original analog tape. My understanding of the production of that record in particular is that the multitracks are analog and there should be an analog stereo master for it that the laquer could be cut from. Though you're right about the times wherein awesome classic analog recordings are being bounced to digital multitracks and then mastered for vinyl from there like the fucking Led Zeppelin remasters and the Beatles boxes, there are still those labels who push the analog side even now like that upcoming Cranberries debut reissue/remaster.

The Beatles in Mono vinyl box was all analog, from the original tapes. Please Please Me had a new master tape, but still analog. 

Sign me up so fast for an Ænima reissue, either way though, that's awesome news. 

10 minutes ago, spaceghost said:

The Beatles in Mono vinyl box was all analog, from the original tapes. Please Please Me had a new master tape, but still analog. 

Sign me up so fast for an Ænima reissue, either way though, that's awesome news. 

I realize. But the other 2,000,000,000 stereo boxes were transferred to digital before they were cut. It really broke my heart when the Zep LP's got digitized. Such a freaking let down.

So not to fuel the fire too much, but the company that will (in all likelihood) have an exclusive variant of this are a company that don't fuck around or cut corners with pressings.  I'm assuming they'll be throwing a ton of money at Tool and affiliated labels to get whatever sources they need to do it right, and they have the means to do it.  Just wanted to chime in with that in case anyone is weary that it's some bullshit press sourced from 192kbps MP3s, via SRC.  This isn't me saying that it'll be the best sounding record in the world, necessarily, whenever it happens.  But it is me saying that I'll personally be 100% confident in buying it.

22 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

So not to fuel the fire too much, but the company that will (in all likelihood) have an exclusive variant of this are a company that don't fuck around or cut corners with pressings.  I'm assuming they'll be throwing a ton of money at Tool and affiliated labels to get whatever sources they need to do it right, and they have the means to do it.  Just wanted to chime in with that in case anyone is weary that it's some bullshit press sourced from 192kbps MP3s, via SRC.  This isn't me saying that it'll be the best sounding record in the world, necessarily, whenever it happens.  But it is me saying that I'll personally be 100% confident in buying it.

Sounds like VMP.