Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

I don't know. They just seem too new and cute about it. MOV and MOFI have been around a long time and have worked with many labels to get classic albums repressed and given their first vinyl presses. They have history and a long-standing ethic that people trust. VMP seems to have a come from out of nowhere in the last few years gets records pressed on a gimmicky level  and with all the legal baggage and red tape surrounding Aenima, I just don't feel like they'd have the clout or the funds to get it done.

This album has been out of print and practically locked in a vault since 1998. No one has successfully gotten it repressed and there was at least one attempt (Classic Records) which got as far as the test press stage and then died in the water. Just feels like VMP isn't going to jump up from relative obscurity and pull this one out.

Of course, having said all that, it probably will be done by VMP and I'll be forced to eat my words.

Edited by mcpherson123

15 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I don't know. They just seem too new and cute about it. MOV and MOFI have been around a long time and have worked with many labels to get classic albums repressed and given their first vinyl presses. They have history and a long-standing ethic that people trust. VMP seems to have a come from out of nowhere in the last few years gets records pressed on a gimmicky level  and with all the legal baggage and red tape surrounding Aenima, I just don't feel like they'd have the clout or the funds to get it done.

This album has been out of print and practically locked in a vault since 1998. No one has successfully gotten it repressed and there was at least one attempt (Classic Records) which got as far as the test press stage and then died in the water. Just feels like VMP isn't going to jump up from relative obscurity and pull this one out.

Of course, having said all that, it probably will be done by VMP and I'll be forced to eat my words.

We can only hope Mofi does this thing.  I'd rather them do it than MOV.   

All my MOV's are top notch. I do think it wold be good to be done by MOFI but I hate to think that they would put their "Mobile Fedility Sound Labs" banner across the top of the cover art. Plus, if it were them, it wold be guaranteed to be at least $40 domestically and those usually don't drop in price. At least a lot of MOV presses end up being around half price a little while after they are released.

MOV have pressed a number of albums from shitty sources. They are transparent about it though and openly let everyone know they press on the 'best sources they can obtain'. They do an excellent job across the board, but if we are to assume that the 'source' will be the best available MOV may or may not be reliable. 

I'm thinking MoFi, as a VMP release would cause hell to open. 

Edited by Canuckle

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

All my MOV's are top notch. I do think it wold be good to be done by MOFI but I hate to think that they would put their "Mobile Fedility Sound Labs" banner across the top of the cover art. Plus, if it were them, it wold be guaranteed to be at least $40 domestically and those usually don't drop in price. At least a lot of MOV presses end up being around half price a little while after they are released.

I don't have a bad MOV record, but I think their choices in jacket stock leave a lot to be desired.  Most of it is super glossy and looks and feels cheap.  Their plastic sleeves are completely shitty too.  Their pressing quality is usually top notch though so I can't complain too much.  But pricing usually ends up being similar between the two given the import upcharge.

45 minutes ago, Reshiram454 said:

As long as it gets repressed and it sounds good, I don't care who does it, I'm just excited to see it happens.

Me too. I don't really care if it says MOFI on it. Given the exclusive colour thing, I think MOV will probably press this. Hope it doesn't turn out like the Mars Volta fiasco. We all know how much  MJK loves vinyl...  

And for the record, I'd  love classic records to do this the right way. I'd happily pay for a copy. Because they WILL get it right. 

5 minutes ago, Barberbro said:

Me too. I don't really care if it says MOFI on it. Given the exclusive colour thing, I think MOV will probably press this. Hope it doesn't turn out like the Mars Volta fiasco. We all know how much  MJK loves vinyl...  

And for the record, I'd  love classic records to do this the right way. I'd happily pay for a copy. Because they WILL get it right. 

Agreed about the TMV fiasco.  Still waiting on that "official" Frances reissue.....................

3 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

But with MOV if they can obtain the master tapes they will. So as long as that can happen, we'll be good.

When has MOV ever had actual master tapes? They usually use digital files sent from the label. A couple of times they used existing metal parts (RATM euro plates, Hendrix reissue). 

1 hour ago, Barberbro said:

Slight problem: Classic Records went out of business almost 10 years ago.

Otherwise, good point.

1 hour ago, VinylMario said:

As long as it gets repressed. <----period

No way.

If it sounds like shit than it was all for not.

It's  gotta sound good.  Nevermnd the stupid colors, give me black. (Aenima should be black anyway)

While they are at it, how about a black Chris Bellman press of Lateralus. They used it on some of the pic discs.

Edited by vinyl addict

1 hour ago, kannibal said:

When has MOV ever had actual master tapes? They usually use digital files sent from the label. A couple of times they used existing metal parts (RATM euro plates, Hendrix reissue). 

I wasn't aware of that. I always thought they would get analog sources if they applied.

46 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

No way.

If it sounds like shit than it was all for not.

It's  gotta sound good.  Nevermnd the stupid colors, give me black. (Aenima should be black anyway)

I doubt Maynard would let anything of lesser quality be pressed. That's why I said that. But yes it has to sound great!

Take this with a grain of salt, but not sure why people are doubting MOV uses master tapes when they have them. Also, I'm not sold that this won't be a label play and will be controlled by Tool. 

Which masters do you use?

We use the best audio available to cut our records. We receive and use different kinds of masters: analogue tapes, original metal parts, lacquers cut from analogue tapes and high res digital files 192/96khz/24 bit. Music On Vinyl does not use CD's as masters.

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/about-us#.WREEgYnyvUI

Edited by Canuckle

I didn't say – and can't confirm, myself – that Tool won't be spearheading the press as a whole.  That wouldn't surprise me, considering that it's Tool we're talking about here.  But I will say that one of the labels being discussed on the last page or two have full intentions to lock down their own variant.