Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

On May 23, 2016 at 7:51 AM, vinyl addict said:

Def another boot.

My guess is it's another MP3

And for the "record", the first black press of Undertow sounds fantastic (printed sleeves and labels) sounds great and can be had for less than the price of the boot.  

The next press with the plain sleeves but printed labels sounds good too, but not like the other.  The press that's out now sounds like poop.

I have a copy of the plain sleeves/ printed label that I will be throwing up on Diacogs soon.

Just got this. Yup. It's a boot. Compared to my grey undertow, this sounds like shite. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just finished preparing the file for Live Charlotte NC 2016 for burning to cd in .WAV format deliciousness.This show, by the way, is certain to go down as one THE finest bootleg recordings of TOOL ever. I split it into two files, or essentially in half, so it can be burned onto two discs. I also did a very, and I mean very slight pass over the file in a mastering software to ensure a great sounding cd. Just let me me know if you want, and I will be happy to link you up.

Edited by My Big 12"

13 hours ago, My Big 12" said:

I just finished preparing the file for Live Charlotte NC 2016 for burning to cd in .WAV format deliciousness.This show, by the way, is certain to go down as one THE finest bootleg recordings of TOOL ever. I split it into two files, or essentially in half, so it can be burned onto two discs. I also did a very, and I mean very slight pass over the file in a mastering software to ensure a great sounding cd. Just let me me know if you want, and I will be happy to link you up.

Never mind the +1, where's my PM?

:rolleyes:

:D

So I'm currently waiting on a 1996 double LP w/ printed inner sleeves version of Undertow to arrive  which is coming from someone on eBay who found it in an estate sale and doesn't have a record player to judge its playability and finally....

...a legit copy of Ænima which is supposedly the second pressing with the thinner artist and title markings on the spine that is sealed with a barcode cutout. This edition is rumored to have the fainter label printing so I guess we'll see when it comes. After being duped by a sealed bootleg auction which ended up being translucent orange/amber, I'm really hoping this one turns out to be true. All the research shows that it will be legit but you don't know til you know. I'm a little anxious but I'm mostly confident this will be the genuine article this time

Someday I will own an original clear green single LP version of Undertow... Oh, yes... someday...

Technically the Ænima was a gift but it was more than 300 and less than 500. I have done a lot of research on them and I feel pretty good about it being sealed and not actually being able to handle and inspect it first. The seller sent me a comprehensive bunch of photos of it and I feel good based on all the research that it will be legit. 

I'm really hoping the LP's for the Undertow are in excellent condition. The seller never mentioned them in the listing other than the fact that they were present. Seems like he really didn't know much about vinyl altogether. I guess we'll see. That one was not very expensive. I got it for a steal on eBay.

I don't mind the sound on the Undertow edition that's out now. My copy was purchased in 2008 so I don't know how different the press is from then til now but I'm pretty sure it's the same edition. 

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. Want to buy Lateralus and found this on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/426353144?ev=bp_det

It seems to match the description of the official pressing (which I've understood has good sound quality even though it's a picture disc), but what makes me a bit sceptical is that the seller has three copies for sale. What do you think?

Edited by antro
Spelling

1 hour ago, antro said:

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. Want to buy Lateralus and found this on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/426353144?ev=bp_det

It seems to match the description of the official pressing (which I've understood has good sound quality even though it's a picture disc), but what makes me a bit sceptical is that the seller has three copies for sale. What do you think?

Collectors-choice is a store that just lists all the copies they have in stock as separate sales instead of just replacing each listing when one sells. If you want it, go ahead and buy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...