7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

nice!

If you're ever thinking about putting in a decently large order instocktrades is a good spot to pick some stuff up too. I figure you probably know about them though!

I always forget about them actually!  They had a great sale a few years ago and I picked up a ton of stuff, some of which I still haven't read...

51 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I'm stuck at home through the weekend (due to being on-call), but I'm getting my Eluvium, Japandroids and Grails LPs in the mail today.  Makes me kind of glad I don't have to leave :)

My Japandroids won't be here until Monday :(. I really wanted to spin it this weekend too.

It's 65F out and sunny, totally not normal for Ohio in January. I actually sat out in the sun for a bit and it made me feel better. Lack of vitamin D must be making this flu virus stick around to annoy me.

28 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

My Japandroids won't be here until Monday :(. I really wanted to spin it this weekend too.

It's 65F out and sunny, totally not normal for Ohio in January. I actually sat out in the sun for a bit and it made me feel better. Lack of vitamin D must be making this flu virus stick around to annoy me.

Stuff coming from the North East seems to make it here way fast for some reason.  Think it's major distro center -> major distro center or something.  Unless something gets stuck in a distribution center for days anyway :)

That weather sounds great!  I just hope we're dry long enough to take my dog on a walk.  After that, it can rain all it wants.

Just now, Thomas³ said:

It's rained a ton the past few days, but finally broke today. It's going to be above freezing until about Thursday, which is crazy. Just finished running some temp. pipes from my sump, so hopefully no more flooded basement.

We've been rainy off and on, nothing crazy though.  Dog walk has been completed!  Now to bottle beer and listen to the new records.  Also turns out that it was MONO with my Eluvium LPs, not Grails.  Not bad, just not as exciting since it's a pressing of an old album.

Flooded basement sounds like a nightmare.

I could not get into the new Mono record, despite listening to it 4-5 times already. I love the band, but it just does not do it for me. 

Flooded basements are the worst, esp when you're not expecting it and walk down to do laundry and see 6 inches of water covering it.

Currently debating getting a new TT. Not sure I'm happy with my vintage one, even though it is supposed to be really really good. I think I need more mid-fi, than hi-fi since I'm not really an audiophile. Not sure I want to spend cash, but I think it'd be worth it... and I think I can sell mine for what I've put into it so far.

59 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Currently debating getting a new TT. Not sure I'm happy with my vintage one, even though it is supposed to be really really good. I think I need more mid-fi, than hi-fi since I'm not really an audiophile. Not sure I want to spend cash, but I think it'd be worth it... and I think I can sell mine for what I've put into it so far.

I just did a turntable upgrade a few weeks ago and I've been pretty happy with the choice.  Only issue now is that I want to upgrade everything else!  it's a slippery slope.

16 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

that is quite the upgrade, my shop is a certified rega dealer and that is  a hell of a table/cart combo

I kind of figured that if I do an upgrade, I'd really go for it.  Was planning on doing it last year, but it never ended up happening.  I'm guessing this'll last me a very long time.

1 minute ago, jonrawks said:

I kind of figured that if I do an upgrade, I'd really go for it.  Was planning on doing it last year, but it never ended up happening.  I'm guessing this'll last me a very long time.

I'm of that camp if you are going to spend a chunk of change do it right the first time, my budget was much lower so I went for an open box pro-ject dc 3 esprit with the red

1 hour ago, NapalmBrain said:

I need new speakers bad, been eyeing these ones at work but they are like $850 a pair, I get a discount but still...

What speakers? I might do speakers next, if not move to mono blocks.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

I went from an ATLP-120 with a Shure cart (I'd have to look which one) to a Rega Planar 3 with an Ortofon Blue cart.  Big upgrade :) 

The M97XE (blue stylus)? If so, I really did not like that cart when I had it. The Planar 3 is a huge upgrade from the 120. I've always really liked Rega's, but they seem to have a lot of issues that you need to buy after market stuff to fix. If I'm going to spend $1kish on a table, it better work. The metal subplatter upgrades are supposed to be huge though.

Just drank pop for the first time in 2 weeks, and it does not taste good :(. I guess that's a good thing.

Edited by Thomas³

9 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

What speakers? I might do speakers next, if not move to mono blocks.

The M97XE (blue stylus)? If so, I really did not like that cart when I had it. The Planar 3 is a huge upgrade from the 120. I've always really liked Rega's, but they seem to have a lot of issues that you need to buy after market stuff to fix. If I'm going to spend $1kish on a table, it better work. The metal subplatter upgrades are supposed to be huge though.

Just drank pop for the first time in 2 weeks, and it does not taste good :(. I guess that's a good thing.

I was looking at the phase tech tower speakers I think it's this model http://phasetech.mseaudio.com/products/phase-velocity/v626/

I get a discount on Phase and Dali, but the Dali's i'm eyeing are almost a grand a pair before discount

2 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Never heard them, but they look sexy as hell. Speakers are one thing I really don't know too much about compared to the rest of an audio chain.

BTW, when the Nothing 3.0 shows up, I'll hit you up about my 2.0 to send ya.

They are Kansas City based, but it's all handmade they sound real good even Junior Brown the country "star" was asking why his music sounded so good on our system, and it's one reason. My ears don't hear a price, wish my wallet felt the same. I really appreciate that, I'll hook you up with something I think you'll enjoy in return

52 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Different that that.  My old table is boxed up in my closet, otherwise I'd check.  I probably have less than 50 hours on it so far, so it still seems great to me :)  I have a feeling that once I work my way through the rest of my system, I'll be looking into different platters, belts, etc.  Not quite there yet.

4 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Different that that.  My old table is boxed up in my closet, otherwise I'd check.  I probably have less than 50 hours on it so far, so it still seems great to me :)  I have a feeling that once I work my way through the rest of my system, I'll be looking into different platters, belts, etc.  Not quite there yet.

doesn't the p3 come with at least a glass platter if not acrylic?

14 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Yeah, that's way too soon to upgrade anything. Enjoy what you spent a bunch of money on now. I'm spinning the rest of the Japandroids discography now, in anticipation for the new album to show up Monday. 

10 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

doesn't the p3 come with at least a glass platter if not acrylic?

Glass, but glass ringsssss.

16 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Yeah, that's way too soon to upgrade anything. Enjoy what you spent a bunch of money on now. I'm spinning the rest of the Japandroids discography now, in anticipation for the new album to show up Monday. 

Glass, but glass ringsssss.

is it bad? I might be spoiled I went from a numark table to my Pro-ject with the acrylic

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

I'm spinning the rest of the Japandroids discography now, in anticipation for the new album to show up Monday. 

Finished up my first listen recently and it's good, but seems to be missing the punch their other stuff has.  I think it'll grow on me, don't think it'll ever be my favorite release of theirs.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic