On 9/20/2017 at 1:30 PM, Youinreverse said:

I'm in the middle of a huge car project. I bought a totaled BMW M3 and I'm swapping over EVERYTHING into my standard sedan all because I really wanted an M3, but I like sedans more than coupes and I wanted to build a "sleeper". 

I'm learning a lot of patience, but the project is almost done. I'm super excited about it.  Here's a build thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=568457 

I have no interest in cars, nor do I want to fix my own. But I found myself reading every post because the story and process are so interesting. Still not wanting to fuck with cars. But this is a cool story. Thanks for posting!

Catologing all my records on a new discogs account because I'm a masochist. Got about 200 done and decided to take a break that ended up lasting the rest of the day. Probably finish it tomorrow. Got 2 out of 5 storage cubes done...but they were the easy ones that were all my large collections of certain bands.

But it was 100 god damn degrees, so instead of putting the airconditioner back in we walked to the bar.

23 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

I have no interest in cars, nor do I want to fix my own. But I found myself reading every post because the story and process are so interesting. Still not wanting to fuck with cars. But this is a cool story. Thanks for posting!

This is really cool to hear. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Catologing all my records on a new discogs account because I'm a masochist. Got about 200 done and decided to take a break that ended up lasting the rest of the day. Probably finish it tomorrow. Got 2 out of 5 storage cubes done...but they were the easy ones that were all my large collections of certain bands.

But it was 100 god damn degrees, so instead of putting the airconditioner back in we walked to the bar.

Yeah, it's been 90+ for 5 or 6 days now. More than we had all summer. Damn hurricane's creating weird pressure systems. Tomorrow it's dropping to the 60's, so my sinuses will be great with a 30 degree drop.

Cataloging records is so tedious. I'm glad I've been keeping up on my discogs, unlike before.

39 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yeah I was like 2 years behind and I've sold some stuff so I was like "fuck it, blank slate"

My guess is I've only got around 400 12"s so it's not too bad.

A lot more than me, but I have not been buying much in the last year. I have 366 records between 7/10/12". 99% are 12" though.

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

A lot more than me, but I have not been buying much in the last year. I have 366 records between 7/10/12". 99% are 12" though.

I've bought more in the last 2 years than I probably bought between 2005-2013. My girlfriend is crazy good with money so we've budgeted in a way that actually leaves me with disposable income. It's pretty great. 

Of course, we're about to go into "Save for a house" mode, so that'll certaintly slow things down.

2 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

This year has been a super slow buying year for me. Been getting into other hobbies more, have caught up on the majority of my "old stuff I still needed" already, and saving money for a trip.

I haven't even really listened too much this year either, which is a bummer.

Same, due to the old shaky hands. However, I've been listening a bit more now that I got the Technics. The suspension on my old table was bad news with my hands. I think I've bought about 10 records this year, and that's a high estimate. Been saving and working on other shit too. Job hunting a ton now, so hopefully I can make more money to buy more things soon.

Finished my 12"s and I've got 367 in my collection...but I added random 7"s and tapes along the way from memory. Like "Oh, my Converge records well I know I have these 7"s..." so I'd estimate I've got about 340-350 LPs.

The majority of my purchases this year have been "old stuff I still needed," "old stuff that got reissued," and "old stuff I owned but lost to an ex." Like, I just got In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and Oh, Inverted World for less than $24 shipped. I had both a decade ago but...relationships happened. That $24 is less than I paid for one copy of ITAOTS (which I lost twice) so that's pretty good.

21 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

This year has been a super slow buying year for me. Been getting into other hobbies more, have caught up on the majority of my "old stuff I still needed" already, and saving money for a trip.

I haven't even really listened too much this year either, which is a bummer.

You're smart to slow down. The damn rising record prices alone are a good reason. I have not slowed down, much. My bank account is dying and I need to find some sort of self-control. I really do feel a bit like an addict, especially since I haven't had the time to even spin the stuff I've been buying. Mostly use the DL card and listen in my car on the commute. I probably have at least a 10 inch stack of unplayed records. Derp.

I know that feeling it's a bad addiction, been trying to cut myself off completely and it's tough especially working in the record store. I keep trying to tell myself "you can buy one" next check and then immediately saying "you aren't going to move for months if you buy records, you should be selling them to speed up the process" so far I've been good though. Just got to enjoy what I have, I know I'll be miserable if I don't do anything nice for myself but I also feel it's counter productive because my record collection is pretty much my only thing of value I can liquidate to save money quicker, already curbing spending on little things like coffee and lunch out, and trying to cut my other bad habits down to further save money 

I'm with you guys about slowing down.  I cut down to purchasing absolute essentials due to saving for a trip and now that I'm back, I'm hoping to stay that way.  I also think that I'm finding it less fulfilling that it used to be now as well, so I was more going through the motions than actually purchasing something I was looking forward to enjoying.

45 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I'm with you guys about slowing down.  I cut down to purchasing absolute essentials due to saving for a trip and now that I'm back, I'm hoping to stay that way.  I also think that I'm finding it less fulfilling that it used to be now as well, so I was more going through the motions than actually purchasing something I was looking forward to enjoying.

100%.  I'm not as into it as I used to be, and I have always gone through ups and downs with my excitement for this hobby and usually pushed through, getting things I knew I'd regret not getting after they sold out...but this time feels different.

I've purchased two records in the past year and a half. I can really see a difference, especially in how easy it is to save for trips now. It's just getting harder for me to justify a $25-$30 purchase for a medium that's confined to my home.

I could sell 85% of my collection and not be hurt about it, but I'm too lazy.

23 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

100%.  I'm not as into it as I used to be, and I have always gone through ups and downs with my excitement for this hobby and usually pushed through, getting things I knew I'd regret not getting after they sold out...but this time feels different.

I'm sure I'll be more into it at some point, but I'm probably not going to hit my peak ever again.  My bubble has burst, haha.

Not completely related : does anyone have a good recommendation on where to order cheap mailers?  I'm sure options have been posted dozens of times, but I'm too lazy to look.  I'm hoping to clear out a lot of clutter in the next few months.

2 minutes ago, deafening said:

I've purchased two records in the past year and a half. I can really see a difference, especially in how easy it is to save for trips now. It's just getting harder for me to justify a $25-$30 purchase for a medium that's confined to my home.

I was surprised by how much I saved by cutting back.  I knew I spent a fair amount, but it really added up.  Guess this is what people feel like when they quit drinking or smoking :D

19 minutes ago, deafening said:

I could sell 85% of my collection and not be hurt about it, but I'm too lazy.

Yup, yup, yup. Although most of my record money has gone into other...hobbies? Can you call buying liquor a hobby? I've actually cut back on this a lot recently too, since I've bought up most of my "must haves" and it seems to be pretty seasonal.

and I could definitely do this. Same reason I haven't yet.

16 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I was surprised by how much I saved by cutting back.  I knew I spent a fair amount, but it really added up.  Guess this is what people feel like when they quit drinking or smoking :D

Yeah, for real.

4 hours ago, jonrawks said:

How was Europe? Your pictures on IG made it look awesome.

I'm in the could sell a large chunk of my collection and not feel bad but am lazy. Since I started buying records 15 years ago, I've gone through many lulls of not buying any for a long time, so I'm sure I'll pick up again in the future.

3 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

How was Europe? Your pictures on IG made it look awesome.

It was pretty amazing all around.  London was a bit of a disappointment, but I think that was more to do with high expectations than anything else.  The Scandinavian countries (Norway, Denmark & Sweden) were incredible.  Some of the most gorgeous cities I've ever seen.

I'm weird and almost never listen to music anywhere but at home and 95% of the time it's spinning records. I just always enjoyed music as full albums, even when I had a full 160gb iPod classic (RIP) I'd listen to whole albums most of the time. So I just enjoy the experience of vinyl more.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic