Good day folks! Haven't been by to check in lately. Going back to work and getting a normal life back sure is distracting. Hope everyone is doing well. I keep downloading stuff you post on Instagram @GHOSTDRONES, and I am running that Piano Nights album on infinite repeat! Such a wonderful background for late evenings for sure... Hope everyone has a great week! 

2 hours ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

Good day folks! Haven't been by to check in lately. Going back to work and getting a normal life back sure is distracting. Hope everyone is doing well. I keep downloading stuff you post on Instagram @GHOSTDRONES, and I am running that Piano Nights album on infinite repeat! Such a wonderful background for late evenings for sure... Hope everyone has a great week! 

That is a great album.  I am psyched that you are checking this stuff out. 

1 hour ago, chkadea said:

Plus poutine ;) 

I have been vegan for 20 years... no poutine for me.

1 hour ago, chkadea said:

So I've gone over a year without much in the way of prospects as far as jobs go, and now this week I have not only an interview in Seattle, but a phone interview as well for a job in Denver with a company I used to work for...

I don't know what to make of this.

The winds have shifted to your favor

People who work sick, how do you do it? I feel less and less inclined to work sick as I get older since I feel like the viruses are hitting me harder. Colds I can manage, but this damn stomach bug is still lingering and I need to go back to work tomorrow. Thankfully I think I'm done with the vomiting, but still feel nauseous as hell and my head still feels slightly sicky. 

17 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

People who work sick, how do you do it? I feel less and less inclined to work sick as I get older since I feel like the viruses are hitting me harder. Colds I can manage, but this damn stomach bug is still lingering and I need to go back to work tomorrow. Thankfully I think I'm done with the vomiting, but still feel nauseous as hell and my head still feels slightly sicky. 

Being able to stay home and work is the main way I can do it.  If I had to go into the office when I was sick, I'd most likely just end up taking more sick days.

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

I just go in, bust my ass, and feel like death the whole time. It sucks...a lot. I've burned through most of my sick time this winter, just taking a day here and there when I seriously couldn't even get out of bed. So far this year I've been sick more than I've been well.  But my department just doesn't run well if someone calls out...ESPECIALLY if it's me. The only way I've managed has been because sometimes I'm able to delegate the more physically demanding tasks. I did have a stomach bug last week though and I left early one day and luckily had the next day off.

When I worked in an office I called out if I felt even the least bit shitty though. That's how I lost the job though. I ended up getting the flu really fucking bad, missing a week, after going a solid 3 months of never working a full week. I was young and dumb so probably 30% of those call outs were because my friends were like "What if instead of going to work tomorrow...you went on a this road trip with us and got really high?" so I totally deserved to be fired. I also accidentally tripped on acid there once. That wasn't fun, but nothing bad happened surprisingly.

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

23 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Unrelated : anyone have good suggestions for turntable lighting?  The area around mine is fairly dark and I just need some mild light.  I was thinking rope lighting or something, but I dunno.

Twinkle lights are always fun, and provide a surprising amount of brightness.

8 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

I have been vegan for 20 years... no poutine for me.

The winds have shifted to your favor

La Banquise has vegan poutine. The Reservoir may as well, I know they do nachos. There is a real decent group of vegan eats up there for sure. 

30 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Unrelated : anyone have good suggestions for turntable lighting?  The area around mine is fairly dark and I just need some mild light.  I was thinking rope lighting or something, but I dunno.

I have a smartbulb right above my turntable and it causes a really annoying hum through my speakers if it's on. So, as much as I love smart bulbs avoid them in this situation.

so i've worked jobs where calling in sick is not really an option.  2 years ago I had a small surgery on my hand with a doctor's note saying i needed 3 days off to recover and my work hassled me over it. I hate not really having the choice to stay home and be sick. I would just force myself to go and feel like I was dying the whole time and then go home and crash.  it's not a good way to live.  

41 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

i just used a cheap string of christmas lights and went around the kallax.  worked pretty well.

17 minutes ago, chkadea said:

Twinkle lights are always fun, and provide a surprising amount of brightness.

I will look into those, thanks!

11 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I have a smartbulb right above my turntable and it causes a really annoying hum through my speakers if it's on. So, as much as I love smart bulbs avoid them in this situation.

That's probably overkill for what I need :)  I mostly want to be able to glance over at my turntable and see where I'm at on the LP and to be able to queue up 7"s a little easier w/o turning on the main light.

1 minute ago, tarzioo_ said:

i just used a cheap string of christmas lights and went around the kallax.  worked pretty well.

That was another one of my initial ideas.  I'm guessing it'd be enough light for what I want.

21 minutes ago, tarzioo_ said:

so i've worked jobs where calling in sick is not really an option.  2 years ago I had a small surgery on my hand with a doctor's note saying i needed 3 days off to recover and my work hassled me over it. I hate not really having the choice to stay home and be sick. I would just force myself to go and feel like I was dying the whole time and then go home and crash.  it's not a good way to live.  

Yeah...I took a partial day today because I felt even a little tiny bit sick, but I didn't have an afternoon appointment. It's impossible to take a full sick day most of the time so I sometimes just take "sick of work" days if I don't have something immediate going on.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic