Tidal Wave

Smallgrass: VC Official Bluegrass & Small Talk Thread

168,554 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Voice controlling lights is the beeesssssst.

 

I had to stay in a hotel room last week because of the snowstorm and at multiple points I had to stop myself from saying "Echo, turn off the lights"

I turn on my house from under the covers in the mornings. It's fucking crazy.

 

I already see myself trying to talk to non-connected lights soon, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ugh, I was reaaalllly stoked on the two new Dave Chappelle stand up sets on Netflix. He's transphobic as fuck in both. A little bit misogynist and homophobic too. Most of it is within acceptable "Well he's a stand up comic doing a bit..." standards, but overall it's ~problematic~. Which hurts to say.  It's not malicious or anything, but it's just south of ok. 

 

He's still fucking hilarious for the most part, but it's just offensive enough (in the wrong way) to bother me.

 

Like...his heart is almost in the right place but he's intelligent enough that it's jarring and upsetting when he crosses the line in the wrong place on several occasions. He's clearly not a monster, but he says some shit that's enough to be a problem. In each special there were a couple things that ruined my enjoyment.

 

And I still think Louis CK is the funniest living comic despite the truly fucked up shit that's come out about him. So this isn't just some "PC police SJW" shit. I put a lot of thought into it from a lot of different angles. 

Edited by Bladewillisisdead
chkadea likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Ugh, I was reaaalllly stoked on the two new Dave Chappelle stand up sets on Netflix. He's transphobic as fuck in both. A little bit misogynist and homophobic too. Most of it is within acceptable "Well he's a stand up comic doing a bit..." standards, but overall it's ~problematic~. Which hurts to say.  It's not malicious or anything, but it's just south of ok. 

 

He's still fucking hilarious for the most part, but it's just offensive enough (in the wrong way) to bother me.

 

Like...his heart is almost in the right place but he's intelligent enough that it's jarring and upsetting when he crosses the line in the wrong place on several occasions. He's clearly not a monster, but he says some shit that's enough to be a problem. In each special there were a couple things that ruined my enjoyment.

 

And I still think Louis CK is the funniest living comic despite the truly fucked up shit that's come out about him. So this isn't just some "PC police SJW" shit. I put a lot of thought into it from a lot of different angles. 

Man, that's truly a bummer to hear. I haven't gotten around to watching them yet, and while your review doesn't necessarily turn me off from wanting to entirely, it doesn't make me as excited about the prospect.

 

I've always thought of him as intelligent and witty enough to make social commentary without ignorance/hate/fear :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Ugh, I was reaaalllly stoked on the two new Dave Chappelle stand up sets on Netflix. He's transphobic as fuck in both. A little bit misogynist and homophobic too. Most of it is within acceptable "Well he's a stand up comic doing a bit..." standards, but overall it's ~problematic~. Which hurts to say.  It's not malicious or anything, but it's just south of ok. 

 

He's still fucking hilarious for the most part, but it's just offensive enough (in the wrong way) to bother me.

 

Like...his heart is almost in the right place but he's intelligent enough that it's jarring and upsetting when he crosses the line in the wrong place on several occasions. He's clearly not a monster, but he says some shit that's enough to be a problem. In each special there were a couple things that ruined my enjoyment.

 

And I still think Louis CK is the funniest living comic despite the truly fucked up shit that's come out about him. So this isn't just some "PC police SJW" shit. I put a lot of thought into it from a lot of different angles. 

What kind of stuff did he say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

What kind of stuff did he say?

Well, for one he says "tranny" a couple times.  It's mostly just his attitude and how he says what he says, hard to explain without exact quotes (which I don't have). He had a bit about a "dude in a dress" and then someone correcting his pronoun use when he says "he" and the punchline is something like "Live however you want but why do I have to participate in it?"

 

Hes still really funny, but each special had like 20 minutes of stuff where I was like "Eeeehhhh......"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still experiencing annoying side effects from my meds dosage. I've been sleeping like 15 hours a day, am constantly nauseous and am anxious 24/7. Hopefully they start subsiding soon. I'm supposed to go back to work next week, but I might have to extent it if I keep feeling like this. I have driven more than a mile in like 2 weeks, because I start freaking out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Ugh, I was reaaalllly stoked on the two new Dave Chappelle stand up sets on Netflix. He's transphobic as fuck in both. A little bit misogynist and homophobic too. Most of it is within acceptable "Well he's a stand up comic doing a bit..." standards, but overall it's ~problematic~. Which hurts to say.  It's not malicious or anything, but it's just south of ok. 

 

He's still fucking hilarious for the most part, but it's just offensive enough (in the wrong way) to bother me.

 

Like...his heart is almost in the right place but he's intelligent enough that it's jarring and upsetting when he crosses the line in the wrong place on several occasions. He's clearly not a monster, but he says some shit that's enough to be a problem. In each special there were a couple things that ruined my enjoyment.

 

And I still think Louis CK is the funniest living comic despite the truly fucked up shit that's come out about him. So this isn't just some "PC police SJW" shit. I put a lot of thought into it from a lot of different angles. 

The one I'm watching he says transgender a bunch, not tranny, and he starts the joke off with something about how transgender people have a really tough time ahead for themselves and he wishes them all the best.

 

I feel like transphobic gets thrown around way too often and easily these days. Anecdote (who knows, maybe I'll get labeled transphobic for this):

 

I have a friend who was on tinder, and she tried to publicly shame a dude via instagram/facebook because he said something like (can't remember the exact wording, but it was very close to this) "This is kind of a weird question, but I just wanted to make sure you're 'all woman,' I had a bad experience in the past with this sort of thing." She immediately posted that portion of their conversation online and started railing about how he was transphobic and this and that. It's like...nah friend, he just doesn't want to get a penis surprise at the end of the night. That should be ok. Everyone is entitled to live how they want to live, and love who they want to love, but some people just want to know what they're getting into because they prefer a traditional m/f relationship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

The one I'm watching he says transgender a bunch, not tranny, and he starts the joke off with something about how transgender people have a really tough time ahead for themselves and he wishes them all the best.

 

I feel like transphobic gets thrown around way too often and easily these days. Anecdote (who knows, maybe I'll get labeled transphobic for this):

 

I have a friend who was on tinder, and she tried to publicly shame a dude via instagram/facebook because he said something like (can't remember the exact wording, but it was very close to this) "This is kind of a weird question, but I just wanted to make sure you're 'all woman,' I had a bad experience in the past with this sort of thing." She immediately posted that portion of their conversation online and started railing about how he was transphobic and this and that. It's like...nah friend, he just doesn't want to get a penis surprise at the end of the night. That should be ok. Everyone is entitled to live how they want to live, and love who they want to love, but some people just want to know what they're getting into because they prefer a traditional m/f relationship.

That's a shitty way to ask. Honestly there's not really a non-shitty way to ask. If some dude gets a penis surprise...that's just how his night goes. It's shitty for the other party to get to the point of a penis surprise without saying something, certainly. But you can't just ask people "do you have a dick?"

 

Trans people aren't trying to trick people (one of his jokes is "Let's go trick some straight dudes!"). It's a dangerous and harmful stereotype. His joke wasn't about the stereotype, it WAS the stereotype. There's a difference and it's important.

 

Chappelle really is on the right side, in a broad sense.  That's why I'm saying the material bothered me, rather than "Fuck Dave Chappelle! Don't watch his specials!" It's problematic, not outright bigotry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

That tour announcement made my day.  For a band that has so many damn releases, they've been real quiet this year.   Like to see an new 12" or something too.

I'm confused by the venue they're playing here. It's the big club where I'm seeing Thursday next month. Where all the Warped Tour -core bands I've never heard play. Like 1000 cap I think. There are like a dozen 100-400 cap dive bar venues I'd expect them to play here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

Gaffigan always makes me giggle. Maybe it's because I'm an old dude but he's got me 

I saw Gaffigan open a show probably like 16 years ago. Lewis Black went on after him, and there were still 2 other comics on the bill. The headliner was one of the dudes on Whose Line is it Anyways (Not Ryan Stiles, Greg Proops, Colin Mockerie, or Wayne Brady) and I've never been able to remember who the other one was.

 

It's been crazy to see how big Gaffigan got over the years. He's definitely very funny, but a little too "family-friendly" for me. I always check out his new specials and enjoy them. I just don't revisit his stuff the way I do someone like Louis CK or Hannibal Buress.

 

That motherfucker played the arena down the street from me last year. CK only played the theater next door. The only other comics that have done that arena recently were Amy Schumer and Jeff Dunham...so at least Gaffigan deserves that kind of success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I'm confused by the venue they're playing here. It's the big club where I'm seeing Thursday next month. Where all the Warped Tour -core bands I've never heard play. Like 1000 cap I think. There are like a dozen 100-400 cap dive bar venues I'd expect them to play here.

Playing a divey metal bar here, I was going to be surprised if they were playing anywhere else really.

59 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

Gaffigan always makes me giggle. Maybe it's because I'm an old dude but he's got me 

I think he's real funny too.  Not my go-to by any means, but every album he releases gets a fair amount of laughs out of me.  I thought his TV show was mostly good as well. 

Edited by jonrawks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

 

It's been crazy to see how big Gaffigan got over the years. He's definitely very funny, but a little too "family-friendly" for me. 

Yeah. I hadn't really noticed that until now. I grew up on some early shit - saw and listened to them at early ages that luckily my older bro would rent for me. I'm thankful for that. After watching Eddie Murphy Raw when I was like 10 educated me pretty good on some new words that mom would soon smack out of me. i  seem to like the more profanity/disgusting laden comics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Playing a divey metal bar here, I was going to be surprised if they were playing anywhere else really.

I think he's real funny too.  Not my go-to by any means, but every album he releases gets a fair amount of laughs out of me.  I thought his TV show was mostly good as well. 

I haven't even seen the show. Not sure if sitcom Jim would be the same but I'd try it for sure now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now