The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

3 minutes ago, guyremix said:

What has happened to Mondo lately in regards to their vinyl releases?  Their last half a dozen or so releases have not been of any interest to me at all. Anyone know what upcoming releases are planned aside from the Inside Out singles? Mondo vinyl used to excite me but so far this year very little has.

Out of curiosity, what were some of last/most recent releases you did enjoy? I feel as though as Mondo has grown, they have largely left the more niche stuff to other labels and focussed on larger, more widely marketable properties that appeal to a broader group of collectors the way Ghibli or JP did. The horror and cult films done in house seem to be Death Waltz releases and those done outside the Mondo umbrella are often distributed by them. I think there's still as much interesting stuff on the Mondo site as ever; maybe more. However a lot of it is being done by other folks. Meanwhile, I'd wager a lot more people know who Mondo is thanks to BTTF, BTAS, Disney properties, and the like.

2 hours ago, guyremix said:

What has happened to Mondo lately in regards to their vinyl releases?  Their last half a dozen or so releases have not been of any interest to me at all. Anyone know what upcoming releases are planned aside from the Inside Out singles? Mondo vinyl used to excite me but so far this year very little has.

Im with you... I think in the last year I bought Evil Dead AOD, and thats it....

The fountain is exciting though. the movie is kinda so-so, but that soundtrack is sublime. 

3 hours ago, guyremix said:

What? You haven't also been getting daily emails from the staff at Mondo asking you exactly what you want pressed?

6 hours ago, guyremix said:

I'm with you to a point, I'd say it's like 50/50 one I'm interested in. That being said the last one I bought from them was Hail, Caesar! and before that it was BTTF. Most of the releases I want/have from them are older ones they did, I am really looking forward to the SDCC exclusives though since I really want the Castlevania and OTGW.

I think that when it comes to any label there's always stuff they put out you have no interest in (for me usually it's because I haven't seen the movie).

14 hours ago, docbronze said:

Out of curiosity, what were some of last/most recent releases you did enjoy? I feel as though as Mondo has grown, they have largely left the more niche stuff to other labels and focussed on larger, more widely marketable properties that appeal to a broader group of collectors the way Ghibli or JP did. The horror and cult films done in house seem to be Death Waltz releases and those done outside the Mondo umbrella are often distributed by them. I think there's still as much interesting stuff on the Mondo site as ever; maybe more. However a lot of it is being done by other folks. Meanwhile, I'd wager a lot more people know who Mondo is thanks to BTTF, BTAS, Disney properties, and the like.

The last ones i liked were BTTF & Black Swan, most of the recent ones just don't do it for me. I'm looking at labels like Waxwork & they are killing it at the moment. Hopefully they have good stuff in the pipeline. 

3 hours ago, guyremix said:

The last ones i liked were BTTF & Black Swan, most of the recent ones just don't do it for me. I'm looking at labels like Waxwork & they are killing it at the moment. Hopefully they have good stuff in the pipeline. 

See, this to me indicates that it's more about personal taste than what Mondo has done differently, recently. Black Swan and BTTF are both examples of what Mondo has been transitioning to and doing for the better part of two years now. BTTF is a blockbuster/nostalgia property like Guardians, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, Aliens, etc and Black Swan is a mainstream film/composer with a cult following in line with their Shore, Wingo, and other Mansell releases. I'm not giving you a hard time, mind you, just intrigued. I bought every Mondo release up to the point where I realized I wasn't really listening to a lot of them anymore and just sort of collecting for its own sake. Now I still buy plenty from them, but I also leave a lot on the table.

23 minutes ago, docbronze said:

See, this to me indicates that it's more about personal taste than what Mondo has done differently, recently. Black Swan and BTTF are both examples of what Mondo has been transitioning to and doing for the better part of two years now. BTTF is a blockbuster/nostalgia property like Guardians, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, Aliens, etc and Black Swan is a mainstream film/composer with a cult following in line with their Shore, Wingo, and other Mansell releases. I'm not giving you a hard time, mind you, just intrigued. I bought every Mondo release up to the point where I realized I wasn't really listening to a lot of them anymore and just sort of collecting for its own sake. Now I still buy plenty from them, but I also leave a lot on the table.

I was the same way.  It was easy to buy every release they put out, even if I didn't know much about it because they were only putting out (what seemed like) one record a month.  Once it seemed like they were releasing one every week, that's when I kinda gave up on it.  Wayyyy too much money.  There's still quite a few I haven't grabbed yet though that I still really want like Black Swan, Army Of Darkness, Aliens, and Prometheus.

Also had to miss out on the Batman: Animated Series box set, which still hurts me to think about today.

Edited by FiggyPuddling

2 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS.

I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. I DON'T LIKE JAWS. 

(it won't let me delete this quote so oh well...)

On 7/15/2016 at 3:19 PM, guyremix said:

I think I might add the Riley 7" too my ever-growing tab of Mondo things I'm asking my friend to grab me from them, partly because it's the most limited so I doubt they'll have any leftover to sell online (I might grab some of the others if they do) but also both sides are pretty good.

1 hour ago, DafTyler said:

Just started this. Such a good soundtrack. 

A 2xLP of the score on one disc and the soundtrack on another would be incredible. Both are sooo good.

Just finished it. That was nearly perfect IMO, highly recommended.

Edited by lethalenforcer

6 hours ago, DafTyler said:

Just started this. Such a good soundtrack. 

I worked on the marketing for Stranger Things and have been dying to get my hands on the score for months, so good! Speaking of Netflix, keep an eye out for The Get Down. That soundtrack is incredible! Hopefully that gets pressed at some point as well.