Cause of what I posted in Ry Bread's review thread? Or because I said I don't follow local bands? I still love music. Maybe it's the beginning of the end for me, though. Almost everyone bows out eventually and just listens to what they already know.

Call it a pet peave? If I would go to shows and sometimes the vocals would be too high, sometimes too low, I would accept it as "it's a concert, not a sound studio. Not gonna have perfect mix". But the vocals are always too low in any full band show in my opinion. 90% of the utility in a song is in the lyrics for me. The bass and drums are only there to keep the rhythm and should be kept in the background.

Local band thread, Ry's thread, and this thread I guess. If you're not careful you'll be yelling at the neighbors kids to turn their stereo down.

Thanks for posting. I'm considering buying these. Seems like a bit of money for something that small and simple but if they really help, it's worth it.

I think it's worth it, I always found myself losing the foam ones or throwing them out when I was done with them. I figure out of all the times I've done that they've probably added up to that much. Plus I feel like the sound quality is better, with the foam ones it just seems to muffle the sound, these they feel like turn the volume down so things are clearer.

I think it's worth it, I always found myself losing the foam ones or throwing them out when I was done with them. I figure out of all the times I've done that they've probably added up to that much. Plus I feel like the sound quality is better, with the foam ones it just seems to muffle the sound, these they feel like turn the volume down so things are clearer.

And a ticket for a bigger concert + drinks can easily push $100 so it's worth it to invest up front to get the most out of your money. Think I'm sold.

I'm considering going to the Chirp record fair in April.  Its sounds like it's basically the same thing as the one at Pitchfork Festival without, you know having to actually go to the Pitchfork Music festival.  I did get quite a few deals at those fairs(at pitchfork) like Weezer (Blue and Pinkerton) for $15 each.  Plus they've got some cool venders lined up.  

http://recordfair.chirpradio.org/

I'm considering going to the Chirp record fair in April.  Its sounds like it's basically the same thing as the one at Pitchfork Festival without, you know having to actually go to the Pitchfork Music festival.  I did get quite a few deals at those fairs(at pitchfork) like Weezer (Blue and Pinkerton) for $15 each.  Plus they've got some cool venders lined up.  

http://recordfair.chirpradio.org/

Sounds cool. On Sunday, I found out that there was a record fair in my neighborhood... the day before. Was bummed to miss it, but hopefully this might help to avoid such letdowns in the future.

I would be down for hanging out at shows or record fairs, or even hitting up some local shops. Has anyone been to Logan Hardware? I just recently found it... buy music and play old school arcade games? Love that place!

I'll be at CHIRP this year. Been going for the past few years and always come away with something good.

It might also be fun to organize an early meetup outside one of the stores for RSD...

The next few shows I'm trying to go to are Coheed @ Congress, Major Lazer @ Congress, and Muse @  United Center.

I think congress and united center might be my two least favorite venues. Right up there with house of blues. 

Congress is horrible. I avoid it like the plague. I've only been to one show at the united center, and it was when michael jordan's driver was one of my clients. he hooked me up with amazing seats for muse and it was incredible. i'm sure the seats had a lot to do with that though. but i think the allstate is much worse.

i also hate the aragon, but i deal with it for certain shows.

house of blues can suck, but for some reason the last three times i've been there (passion pit, thursday, and arctic monkeys) i've gotten really lucky and gotten amazing spots. for arctic monkeys a security guard gave us a box upstairs, for thursday, they let us sit on stools near the stage right bar, and at passion pit, a security guard let my girlfriend and i stand on the wheelchair ramp in front.

Congress is horrible. I avoid it like the plague. I've only been to one show at the united center, and it was when michael jordan's driver was one of my clients. he hooked me up with amazing seats for muse and it was incredible. i'm sure the seats had a lot to do with that though. but i think the allstate is much worse.

i also hate the aragon, but i deal with it for certain shows.

house of blues can suck, but for some reason the last three times i've been there (passion pit, thursday, and arctic monkeys) i've gotten really lucky and gotten amazing spots. for arctic monkeys a security guard gave us a box upstairs, for thursday, they let us sit on stools near the stage right bar, and at passion pit, a security guard let my girlfriend and i stand on the wheelchair ramp in front.

The Congress is a dump. Went there for NOFX and the must never put a dime back in that place.

On a different note: I got a wakeup call by 6 Chicago cops evicting us. My landlord wasn't paying her association fees. Luckily we don't have to move since the building is taking over our lease. Slowly learning there's no human decency. 

I've only been to Congress once and that was for Weezer and Teenage Bottlerocket, and it was an ok venue, but I don't see myself going there very much.  Never been to the United Center or Aragon.  

If something is at the House of Blues I pretty much always avoid it because the few times I've gone there its been a pain to get to, traffic is always terrible and if I wanted to get to a show on time and take the train in I'd need to leave work about 4 hours early which just doesn't make sense to do that.

The Vic is alright, kind of a strange set up, but its ok.

I do enjoy the Metro which I feel like everyone plays there, and I really like the Bottom Lounge.

Subterranean is kind of a cool intimate venue, as well as the Beat Kitchen.

Yeah, Logan Hardware is a cool little shop. I don't mind House of Blues so much, other than the crazy beer prices ($11 domestic tallboys). Subteranean is nice, as are the Metro and Aragon. Next show I'm going to is The Casket Lottery at Ultra Lounge on the 26th.

Every so often, Lincoln Hall hosts free movie nights, where they screen two movies back-to-back. Tonight is The Big Lebowski and High Fidelity. Lebowski starts at 7, and High Fidelity starts around 9. I've been jonesing to see High Fidelity for a while, so I'll be heading over for that one. Admission is free, and you can order food and drinks while you're there if you want.

VC IRL meetups are always a good time.

271137_10151399416394167_1555536201_n.jp

I do enjoy the Metro which I feel like everyone plays there, and I really like the Bottom Lounge.

Subterranean is kind of a cool intimate venue, as well as the Beat Kitchen.

Metro, Bottom Lounge, Subt, beat kitchen, lincoln hall, and double door are all cool in my books.

Reggies is ehh.

Every so often, Lincoln Hall hosts free movie nights, where they screen two movies back-to-back. Tonight is The Big Lebowski and High Fidelity. Lebowski starts at 7, and High Fidelity starts around 9. I've been jonesing to see High Fidelity for a while, so I'll be heading over for that one. Admission is free, and you can order food and drinks while you're there if you want.

VC IRL meetups are always a good time.

I'm planning on heading out to for this as long as I get everything with my apartment in order.

Metro, Bottom Lounge, Subt, beat kitchen, lincoln hall, and double door are all cool in my books.

Reggies is ehh.

Durty Nellies in Palatine is pretty good too when ever they get decent shows.  Saw the Get Up Kids/Saves The Day there as well as Transit/Man Overboard.  I liked the place.

Durty Nellies in Palatine is pretty good too when ever they get decent shows.  Saw the Get Up Kids/Saves The Day there as well as Transit/Man Overboard.  I liked the place.

Yeah that is in my town. We have talked about that venue before. Just saw every time i die and the chariot a couple weeks ago. That show ruled. Free parking and cheap drinks (bar prices versus venue prices). If you live in the city it is feet from the palatine metra stop. From Ogilvie you'll be there in 50 mins and the train runs late enough to take it back. I know it is backward logic for a city person to come out to the suburbs for a show, but it is not a hassle.

I never make it down to Chicago anymore but I do go to Milwaukee and Madison on occasion. 

Next shur thing for me is Murs @ the Majestic in Madison.  So if you see a fuckin' asshat alone reading in between bands that me.  Don't say "hi" because I'll just ignore you, but feel free to throw things at me.

If I can get off work I'll head to Murder by Death @ the high noon saloon in Madison on the 18th of Jan, and depending on my laziness / cheapness I might head down for Astronautalis @ the majestic on the 26th of jan.