VC Fantasy Hockey League

Did anyone else have to change their draft strategy mid-draft due to the lack of players with dual eligibility? I know I left several players on the board because I already had that position filled up. I know I passed on Toews and Getzlaf at one point even though they were clearly the best players left out there, but since I already had Crosby, Eichel and MacKinnon I didn't want to take a player that would ultimately sit on my bench.

8 minutes ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Did anyone else have to change their draft strategy mid-draft due to the lack of players with dual eligibility? I know I left several players on the board because I already had that position filled up. I know I passed on Toews and Getzlaf at one point even though they were clearly the best players left out there, but since I already had Crosby, Eichel and MacKinnon I didn't want to take a player that would ultimately sit on my bench.

Definitely did that. I kept 2 centres, which meant that I actively avoided them for a long time - in fact, I took 2 goalies and a D with my first three picks in part because I had a feeling that there would be more centres later on. I think what it meant was that there were some later round steals for Centres, and there will be some star Cs still available as free agents later on.

I think this will create some interesting challenges for setting rosters - but we're all in the same boat, so a bit of new learning needed.

14 hours ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Brett Burn's Beard has a ridiculous 1-2 Goalie punch.

Had to - had really inconsistent goaltending last year and I feel like I can run with two goalies if both Quick and Price stay healthy. I feel bad for Mike last year - when Price went down, changes the whole dynamic. Fingers crossed he stays healthy...

5 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Had to - had really inconsistent goaltending last year and I feel like I can run with two goalies if both Quick and Price stay healthy. I feel bad for Mike last year - when Price went down, changes the whole dynamic. Fingers crossed he stays healthy...

that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked, and thats the problem with a 12-team league with each team having 2 active goalie spots.. went from Price/Fluery in 2014 to starting 2015 with Price and Howard and ending last season with Talbot, Greiss and Anderson... woof.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn @kylekrische, thought you had me. Never seen so much back and forth in a head to head.  

Looks like a lot of close matches. Congrats Ian on the upset. I'm pretty glad to not have to face Chris. He's had my number each time I've faced him over the past two seasons. 

8 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I was really hoping to get Max.. I went through 5 goalies last week... for 1 win.  had I not picked up Berburbe i'd have won, FML. (would have had a lower GAA/SV% without his 8.56/.692 bloat..)

It was way closer than I wanted it to be, and that was an absolute roller coaster through the entire week. After the first 2 days and you picking up Berube I thought that this was going to be a walk in the park, but boy was I wrong. Your 3 SH goals were just unreal, don't think I have ever gotten more than 1 per week. And then Oshie getting the hattrick on Sunday..

And to end it all, I almost had a heart attack, seeing how I picked up Darling because he has been great in his last 5 starts and I figured that COL would be an easy win for the Hawks so I could secure all goalie cats. After he let in 2 goals in the first period, I totally panicked and had to stay up until 3AM to watch the game because I thought that that was it. Picking him up almost cost me.

Kudos to Ian for beating Chris, seeing how the regular season went I was 100% that he was going to steamroll each and everyone of us. I would write an angry letter to Dubnyk if I were you, Chris. Guy really let you down the last 2 weeks..

If I could've gotten just 1 win from Dubnyk last week, I advance (on tie-breakers, I believe). Top 3 goalie for the whole season and then shits the bed when I needed him most.

Oh well, no 3-peat for me... at least Talbot could be a decent keeper for next year though.

Good luck to those of you left.