ianmonsta

VC Fantasy Hockey League

1,522 posts in this topic

Did anyone else have to change their draft strategy mid-draft due to the lack of players with dual eligibility? I know I left several players on the board because I already had that position filled up. I know I passed on Toews and Getzlaf at one point even though they were clearly the best players left out there, but since I already had Crosby, Eichel and MacKinnon I didn't want to take a player that would ultimately sit on my bench.

8 minutes ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Did anyone else have to change their draft strategy mid-draft due to the lack of players with dual eligibility? I know I left several players on the board because I already had that position filled up. I know I passed on Toews and Getzlaf at one point even though they were clearly the best players left out there, but since I already had Crosby, Eichel and MacKinnon I didn't want to take a player that would ultimately sit on my bench.

Definitely did that. I kept 2 centres, which meant that I actively avoided them for a long time - in fact, I took 2 goalies and a D with my first three picks in part because I had a feeling that there would be more centres later on. I think what it meant was that there were some later round steals for Centres, and there will be some star Cs still available as free agents later on.

I think this will create some interesting challenges for setting rosters - but we're all in the same boat, so a bit of new learning needed.

14 hours ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Brett Burn's Beard has a ridiculous 1-2 Goalie punch.

Had to - had really inconsistent goaltending last year and I feel like I can run with two goalies if both Quick and Price stay healthy. I feel bad for Mike last year - when Price went down, changes the whole dynamic. Fingers crossed he stays healthy...

5 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Had to - had really inconsistent goaltending last year and I feel like I can run with two goalies if both Quick and Price stay healthy. I feel bad for Mike last year - when Price went down, changes the whole dynamic. Fingers crossed he stays healthy...

that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked, and thats the problem with a 12-team league with each team having 2 active goalie spots.. went from Price/Fluery in 2014 to starting 2015 with Price and Howard and ending last season with Talbot, Greiss and Anderson... woof.

8 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I was really hoping to get Max.. I went through 5 goalies last week... for 1 win.  had I not picked up Berburbe i'd have won, FML. (would have had a lower GAA/SV% without his 8.56/.692 bloat..)

It was way closer than I wanted it to be, and that was an absolute roller coaster through the entire week. After the first 2 days and you picking up Berube I thought that this was going to be a walk in the park, but boy was I wrong. Your 3 SH goals were just unreal, don't think I have ever gotten more than 1 per week. And then Oshie getting the hattrick on Sunday..

And to end it all, I almost had a heart attack, seeing how I picked up Darling because he has been great in his last 5 starts and I figured that COL would be an easy win for the Hawks so I could secure all goalie cats. After he let in 2 goals in the first period, I totally panicked and had to stay up until 3AM to watch the game because I thought that that was it. Picking him up almost cost me.

Kudos to Ian for beating Chris, seeing how the regular season went I was 100% that he was going to steamroll each and everyone of us. I would write an angry letter to Dubnyk if I were you, Chris. Guy really let you down the last 2 weeks..

thechrisformat likes this

If I could've gotten just 1 win from Dubnyk last week, I advance (on tie-breakers, I believe). Top 3 goalie for the whole season and then shits the bed when I needed him most.

Oh well, no 3-peat for me... at least Talbot could be a decent keeper for next year though.

Good luck to those of you left.

3 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Ian, that McDavid seems to have paid off!

Who woulda thunk?

I'm actually not even sure how I won cause we were tied 7-7 when i went to sleep last night, must of been a stat correction on a assist or something.