Rust Belt Lights - Kickstarter

So they went "over budget" and don't want to pay for it? Fuck that.

Yeah, it's one thing for a band to fund an album before hitting the studio using Kickstarter, and another to ask their fans to bail them out of the mess they've made.

Side note: Is this the band that got kinda dicked over by Paper + Plastick?

Yeah, it's one thing for a band to fund an album before hitting the studio using Kickstarter, and another to ask their fans to bail them out of the mess they've made.

Side note: Is this the band that got kinda dicked over by Paper + Plastick?

Yeah they were most definitley dicked over by P+P but this is not a band I want to shell out $25 for a physical copy right now. Maybe at $20 I'd do it.

Charging $25 on kickstarter for an LP is so so so so so so so so so so fucking stupid. Why don't people understand that if you're asking fans to fund something for you, they should at the VERY LEAST get the record for the same price it will be available for after its out. How is this not obvious? Without them it wouldn't even come out, charging them twice as much as it will eventually cost is insulting and a horrible business model.

Charging $25 on kickstarter for an LP is so so so so so so so so so so fucking stupid. Why don't people understand that if you're asking fans to fund something for you, they should at the VERY LEAST get the record for the same price it will be available for after its out. How is this not obvious? Without them it wouldn't even come out, charging them twice as much as it will eventually cost is insulting and a horrible business model.

^ This. Which is why I'm waiting. Unless they throw in something worthwhile....

So Rust Belt Lights can't charge $25 for an LP but Kevin Devine can get away with it?

The point Jeff was making (I wasn't as passionate about it but agreed with the general idea) is that later on the LP will be available for cheaper. Unfortunately whatever Kevin Devine puts out will be just as expensive and demand will be high for it. I don't like that it costs $25ppd for each record but the hype surrounding him and other personal mitigating factors made me bite the bullet for that (My wife actually.) There is also a test press giveaway with that along with the fact there are other probably worthwhile items too. Believe me thats overpriced too and I'm tired of kickstarter as well.

$25 for a punk/hardcore record is steep and as much as I like these guys the rewards aren't itself worthwhile...yet. If it were more like $20ppd for an LP plus a higher level gets something worthwhile (test press, print, cd, shirt etc.) as opposed to a admission and +1 to a show (which will probably be cheaper if you pay at the door and it pays for other supporting bands) then it would be easier to buy.

I'm not saying $25 isn't a lot of money for a record.  I'm just saying its interesting that this posted pretty much same time as the Kevin Devine one and people are going ape over those records which are $25/each at any level and the tests are only for the first 50 which are long gone, but this is posted and people want the band to break up or are complaining about $25 being much.  I understand them not being your favorite band or anything but its the exact same thing as Kevin Devine, and I will say I pledged for Kevin Devine because I really like him.

So Rust Belt Lights can't charge $25 for an LP but Kevin Devine can get away with it?

I didn't say anything implying that, but to play devils advocate, my real issue with what RBL is doing isn't that the LP costs $25 (although I also think that's stupid), it' the fact that once it's out I would imagine they are going to charge less for it, and I imagine Kevin Devine isn't.

It's funny i'm advocating for Rust Belt Lights and I haven't even backed it. Haha.  You totally have a point and even more so since they even said in the last sentence of their kickstarter "The easiest and best way to do so is to preorder your copy of the record now!".  There really is no way they're going to charge $25 for an LP once its pressed, you're right.  

• 4 weeks later...

They're a good band. Why a $5,000 pledge to break up? I don't get it.

I think they posted it before they really thought this out.

It's clearly a joke. They're a small punk band that not a ton of people are crazy over. They obviously know nobody is going to spend $5,000 reguardless of what they are getting, so they probably just made a joke out of it.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...