Is keeping a record sealed worth it?

I like what this guy says here:

http://www.justpressplay.net/articles/5785-can-vinyl-last-forever-tips-on-the-care-of-vinyl-records.html

Let’s explore some relatively easy ways to properly care and maintain vinyl records so they can be listened to and enjoyed and also to help preserve their resale value for years to come:

Never touch the grooves

When handling records, treat them with loving care, hold them with two hands around the outer edges of the record; never allowing your fingers to touch the grooves. A simple method to alleviate this potential problem area would be to invest in some disposable plastic gloves, like the ones used in food preparation. Then, one can easily manipulate the record playing process and take the fear out of handling records.

Know the enemies of vinyl

The environment in which your records are stored is very important to a long shelf life. If you want a long shelf life for your prized recordings, keep the records away from dirt, dust, smoke, fingerprints, and oils from human skin as well as faulty phonograph needles. Never stack your records on top of each other, albums should be stored vertically. Avoid storing them too tight as it can lead to ring wear on the cover or sleeve and cause unnecessary stress to the record's materials, surface and label, often resulting in warps and contact damage. Additionally, the records should be stored in a low humidity setting with a temperature between 60 and 70 degrees if possible. Obviously, it is imperative to keep your treasured vinyl away form heat sources such as sunlight, heater vents and even lighting. Avoid dusty environments and if possible store the records in a relatively airtight container such as a cabinet with doors or sealable boxes or bins.

Protecting your records and LP jackets

There are different opinions on this, but it is recommended by most to remove the original wrapping from the manufacturer, the dreaded shrink wrap, as this may shrink over time; eventually warping the jacket or possibly the record. A note of caution, however, some of the stickers or promotional information on this shrink wrap may actually make the album more valuable if left on; so use discretion when removing the shrink wrap. It is recommended to replace this wrapping with a high density polyethylene outer protective sleeve.

The labels / distributors need to limit the amount per purchase to make it fair for the fans / buyers. If not the market will take over. Pretty simple economics really. So blame them, not the person making a buck, whether on purpose or not. I think this goes for concert tickets too by the way.

Oh! "Records are only for listening" - Then stop buying multiple variants bc you're not listening to all of them.

I don't sell records by the way and it does suck when you don't get that one you want!

And... I have some records that are still sealed but I have no idea if the shrink wrap damages them. Some others made good points for both. So the argument continues.....

Yet another thread I thought was a joke until I read a page. Let's take things even more seriously than we already do with this hobby. 

My plan is to hire a consultant to determine future value so I know which to open and which to hold in the vault. Then my archivist will be the only one allowed to handle my vinyl as she's a trained professional. 

DAVE!!!

SInce we're both more than likely two of the oldest dudes here with a wealth of experience and expertise in "the hobby" ( :rolleyes: ), let's start a consulting firm for vinylz and investments!!!

D&J & Associates REKKIDZ CONSULTANTS. Free appraisals for first-time n00bs.

Seriously Juan. If people saw some of my covers from when I was 17/18/19/33 they'd ban me from this place. I just can't care as much about corners as most. I'm not advocating for people to toss their vinyl around like dirty laundry but I let my 2-year old put my records on my player all the time now because he's interested. Sure, I held my breath a bit when he pulled out my Mob "Step Forward" 7" and insisted on doing it but hell, I'm a damn proud papa. 2 years old and he even remembered to switch the setting to 45rpms. 

My advice OP: open it if you want to listen to it or sell it otherwise. My two cents. (Note: I am not a variant collector, except for a couple records, so I play all my stuff.)

I can not believe this thread has gone in the direction of captail gains tax on records and comparing it to the stock market. Unreal

If you are buying records as a means of investment or retirement, get used to relying on the government for that money.

Sales of Appreciated Assets at an Online Auction

Examples of appreciated assets often include art, antiques and collectibles. If you have online auction sales of property where the sales price is more than your cost or other basis, you usually will have a reportable gain.

Oh shit everybody going to jail.

from a non judgmental stance

shrinkwrap plastic is really cheap, and it will oxidize over time.. go look at cheap plastic sleeves on old baseball cards, or comic bags.. the shit turns yellow and looks like hell. It also has the possibility of shrinking and warping the cover or record itself. Its up to you.. ut you're probably better off opening it and rebagging it for the long run.

True, I bought an old used record and it was sent to me with its original shrinkwrap still on, some parts of the shrink kinda got glued to the album cover and peeled parts of the cover off, and yeah the shrink did look dirty "Oxidized". Had to remove it and replace it with a plastic sleeve.

I own 3 records out of about 550 in my collection that are (or will) be framed on my wall.

Broadways - Broken Star Test Pressing /5.

Have the regular 1st pressing that I play.

Trey Anastasio - Traveler Test Pressing /12 Autographed.

Have the regular 1st pressing that I play.

Blank Label - S/T 7" /250.

Ryan Adams first high school band that I paid $150 for (usually goes on eBay for between $500-700). The music is mediocre but obviously bought at a huge discount based on current market value. This copy was also part of the personal collection of the deceased Blank Label guitarist Jere, which I bought directly from his brother who inherited his collection after his death.

The rest of my collection is fair game for hitting my TT based on what I feel like playing.

Personally, I enjoy the look of framed records on the wall of my music room for a variety of reasons. Always though (except for the Blank Label 7" obviously), I have a backup copy for my turntable.

If I was to frame a record it wouldn't be a test press because there isn't anything visually pleasing about them .

Sweet, glad weve got differing opinions. My Broadways test press is coupled with the album jacket as well as a signed certificate of authenticity signed by Mike Park.

My Trey Traveler test press is clear orange vinyl with a generic red jacket signed by Trey. I will also be including an autographed 5"x8" lithograph of the album art, signed by Trey into the overall presentation as well.

Id also like to add that Id be lying if they rarity of both collectors items didnt factor into the decision as well. Ultimately when you look at art or anything hanging on your wall really, the most important part is the emotional reaction it initiates. All 3 have sentimental value to me, otherwise I wouldn't consider hanging them.