The official Horror fan topic

Rip

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

I'm pretty full up this coming week, so I'm hoping It Comes At Night sticks around here for at least a few weeks.  I have such a difficult time catching things in theaters these days :mellow:

From like 2006 to 2010 my best friend worked at a movie theater and I saw 95% of movies released in the theater for free. We saw some Asthon Kutcher/Cameron Diaz rom-com twice because we'd seen everything else and were like "Well we're high and Zach Galifinakas has like 3 funny lines....so fuck it." Even for a few years after that I'd go to the movies at least 3 times a month. I actually crunched the numbers once and one year (I think it was 2008) I saw 75 different movies in theaters and it was over 100 if you counted multiple viewings of the same movie.

These days it took my girlfriend and I planning over a month in advance to go see Alien: Covenant. We might try to catch It Comes at Night, but we're not 100% going to go to the theater until the new Blade Runner. I miss being able to just go to the movies. Being an adult is bullshit.

Also, while I'm just an old man yelling at a cloud...I remember when movies cost like $5. Damn kids these days with their fandangos and $16 tickets ($20 for IMAX).

14 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

From like 2006 to 2010 my best friend worked at a movie theater and I saw 95% of movies released in the theater for free. We saw some Asthon Kutcher/Cameron Diaz rom-com twice because we'd seen everything else and were like "Well we're high and Zach Galifinakas has like 3 funny lines....so fuck it." Even for a few years after that I'd go to the movies at least 3 times a month. I actually crunched the numbers once and one year (I think it was 2008) I saw 75 different movies in theaters and it was over 100 if you counted multiple viewings of the same movie.

Kick the dates back about a decade and that was me.  Worked at a theater for 3-4 years in high school and shortly after.  I saw sooooo many movies during that time period.  We got to watch things after hours, so it'd be staying up all night watching all the new movies every Thursday -> Friday morning.  Sometimes leaving the theater after the sun had come up.  I still don't like going to a theater when it's busy, I got way too used to being in empty ones with a few other people.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Kick the dates back about a decade and that was me.  Worked at a theater for 3-4 years in high school and shortly after.  I saw sooooo many movies during that time period.  We got to watch things after hours, so it'd be staying up all night watching all the new movies every Thursday -> Friday morning.  Sometimes leaving the theater after the sun had come up.  I still don't like going to a theater when it's busy, I got way too used to being in empty ones with a few other people.

My buddy was allowed to bring friends to the Thursday night screenings. It was dope.

I hate crowded theaters except in very specific situations. I go to 12 hour 35mm Horror/exploitation marathons sometimes and it's really fucking fun being in a packed theater for that. Of course everyone there is usually a big fan and knows how to not be an asshole. But big crowd reactions are fun.

Fuck crowded theaters.  I love movies and I love going to the movies but I HATE being surrounded by people I don't know who don't know how to respect the people who paid just as much as them for a good time.

That's the reason I always try and sit in the very back row when I go to the movies now.  No one's able to sit behind me and talk.  Of course there's still the chance of people next to me but oh well.  Only so much I can do.

Edited by FiggyPuddling

A friend and I watched Raw tonight and we both liked it quite a bit.  I kept moving in directions that I wouldn't have guessed and that was really refreshing.  I'm not very squeamish, but a few scenes made me uncomfortable.  It was gorgeously shot and executed as well.  Completely recommend it.

Edit : forgot to mention that there was a surprising amount of humor in it.  Not a horror comedy by any means, it just wasn't full on serious.

Edited by jonrawks

Watched Blood Drive last night and didn't love it.  It seems like they didn't quite know what they wanted it to be.  I thought the grindhouse car race stuff was awesome, but then you have an antagonist that's full on steam punk for some reason.  I could probably take or leave the cop stuff.  Seems like they set that up to go somewhere later on, so it could be worthwhile.  The cop scenes really showed the lack of budget here.  Probably spent too much of their money licensing that awful music.  I'm planning on sticking around for a few more episodes to see where it goes.  Just not nearly as excited about it as I was.  It kind of has a Wacky Races feel to it as well, which made me laugh a bit.

Watched a few this weekend.

Sweet, Sweet Lonely Girl - I didn't care for it mostly.  Psychological horror that just took way too long to actually become that.  The first hour or so was kind of boring character development.  The last 20 or so minutes when things start happening were real enjoyable, but I don't think it makes up for the first 2/3rds of the movie.

The Lure - Really enjoyed it.  Very surreal and visually captivating.  It seemed a little scatterbrained scene-wise.  Lot of randomness that didn't seem to serve the story.  Not really a knock on the movie, except it kind of fucked up the flow of it.  The fact that it was so gorgeous looking made it much easier for me to tolerate the other flaws.  Also, it's partially a musical, which is so bizarre.

Edited by jonrawks

8 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

The Lure sounds interesting, will have to check into it. I thought XX was decent, tho I like anthologies. We tried to watch The Bad Batch this weekend, I was done with it a hour in. was bummed. can anyone confirm if the ending is worth watching?

What was it that you didn't like about The Bad Batch?  I don't know when I'll watch it, but I have been looking forward to it.

15 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Watched XX and don't enjoy it. It was shot well for the most part at least. Just none of the shorts really amounted to anything.

The birthday one was pretty funny to me. A few of the others kind of lost my interest. Didn't hate it overall.

The Belko Experiment was ok. Solid middle of the road B-movie. Could have been so much better. Not funny enough and not gory enough. Not a terrible way to get high and kill 90 minutes though.

It was just too...straight forward I guess. Probably would have been more fun if Gunn had directed it back 6-7 years ago when he wrote it.