The official Horror fan topic

Rip

On 7/9/2017 at 4:49 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

Watched the original Funny Games the other day. Not exactly horror, but I think it still counts. God damn some of the long takes are excruciating.

I hadn't seen the original when I saw the remake in theaters like 10 years ago.  The title card smash with Naked City kicking in is one of my favorite things ever. I remember being in the theater like "What the fuck...is that Naked City? Holy shit."

I know the director has said a lot about his intentions, but it still feels like a very self aware/post modern horror flick. The characters make the obviously worst choice at every step. My girlfriend and I have both seen it multiple times (both versions) and we were still practically yelling at the screen.

Hide contents

When they throw the woman over the side of the boat at the end always gives me chills. That's seriously fucked up and just the way the sequence is shot is fucking brutal.

I've never seen the original. I remember reading that is exactly the same correct? 

I liked this movie a lot when I first watched it.  Have seen it multiple times since. Everyone else that I've told to watch it has hated it. Really good movie. 

But yeah that scene where they throw her off is so damn ruthless. After everything she went through, they just do it without skipping a beat. 

On 7/18/2017 at 1:51 AM, hxcoliver said:

I've never seen the original. I remember reading that is exactly the same correct? 

I liked this movie a lot when I first watched it.  Have seen it multiple times since. Everyone else that I've told to watch it has hated it. Really good movie. 

But yeah that scene where they throw her off is so damn ruthless. After everything she went through, they just do it without skipping a beat. 

Yeah, it's shot exactly the same just with different actors and you have to read subtitles. Still worth watching.

Not horror AT ALL, but we don't have a general film discussion thread going right now, I watched Speed for the first time in over 20 years last night. What a fun and silly movie. My girlfriend rolled her eyes at me the whole time, but I genuinely enjoyed it. 

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

so if you guys don't know, im currently working on my horror tattoo sleeve and have always planned to get a "living dead" piece but cant pin down an idea (because I have so many) and with George unfortunately passing ive moved that piece to get this week/next week. so I figured id ask the horror homies here if yall have some cool ideas I could get because the possibilities are endless haha

Edited by KingTacoMunster

23 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

so if you guys don't know, im currently working on my horror tattoo sleeve and have always planned to get a "living dead" piece but cant pin down an idea (because I have so many) and with George unfortunately passing ive moved that piece to get this week/next week. so I figured id ask the horror homies here if yall have some cool ideas I could get because the possibilities are endless haha

I vote for a Keanu Reeves portrait and an exploding bus.

But seriously, SO many possibilities. Maybe a zombie-fied version of the brother from the beginning of NotLD with "They're coming to get you..." ("Barbara" optional)

2 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Maybe get Romero's signature glasses and then whatever you decide, put that inside of the glasses if that makes sense?  I don't know.  Could be cool.  As for what could go on them, like you said, the possibilities are endless.  It'd be so hard to pick.

20 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Yeah, it's shot elevator the same just with different actors and you have to read subtitles. Still worth watching.

Not horror AT ALL, but we don't have a general film discussion thread going right now, I watched Speed for the first time in over 20 years last night. What a fun and silly movie. My girlfriend rolled her eyes at me the whole time, but I genuinely enjoyed it. 

It definitely fits in the whole thriller/home invasion movie discussion. I'll have to watch the original. 

And man, Speed is an awesome movie. Have seen it so many times, mainly in pieces, whenever it played on TV (which is pretty often) 

1 minute ago, dantheriver said:

I just imagined you knew some super secret film lingo.

I'm enough of a film nerd that I could probably just start saying shit like that and anyone who knows me would buy it.

Again, not horror but sorta horror adjacent because of Ben Wheatly. I watched Free Fire last night. Definitely his most accessible film. A lot of fun even though it's basically Reservoir Dogs. Like, it's if the Mexican standoff scene was the whole movie.

38 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Again, not horror but sorta horror adjacent because of Ben Wheatly. I watched Free Fire last night. Definitely his most accessible film. A lot of fun even though it's basically Reservoir Dogs. Like, it's if the Mexican standoff scene was the whole movie.

High-Rise is pretty accessible too.

On 18/7/2017 at 6:45 PM, jonrawks said:

Watched the original Funny Games with a friend last night and yeah, that's a dark film.  I thought it was pretty brilliant all the way through and played with home invasion and horror conventions quite well.  We're going to try and watch the remake next week.

After 20 years, I still remember like it was yesterday the look on my buddy's face when Naked City kicks in in the opening titles.

Imagine 2 teenagers sitting in an otherwise empty movie theater, both massive og grindcore heads that grew up with literally  every single record Earache put out back in the day, being mauled in the face with Yamatsuka , Zorn and guys with no warning. When casually went in to see this violent movie they were talking about. We had no idea we would be faced by Bonehead blasting at full volume in the cinema. What a time to be alive.

When the remote scene came on I was cheering as if my team scored the title goal in stoppage time.

The 2007 version is basically a shot for shot remake.

It's obviously good but plagued by Michael Pitt presence. After seeing him having the time of  his life with MY Eva Green in The Dreamers I just wish I could end this motherfucker's life with my bare hands .

Edited by Korgull Of Morgoth

49 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Anyone subscribe to Shudder? Thoughts?

It looks like they've got a pretty good library but I'm gonna hold off on the free trial until October.

I like it a lot. It's introduced me to a bunch of stuff I would have never found or bothered with otherwise. New titles are added every couple days, it's definitely worth the $5 a month

Edited by Han Solo

I watched Split last night and was pleasantly surprised.  I don't know if I've ever liked a Shyamalan movie (save for maybe The 6th Sense when it came out) and probably would have skipped this, but the very positive attention and McAvoy sparked my interest.  It's nice to see him not get so wrapped up in twists and do something a little more straight forward.  He's always been a decent director, just has some failings as a writer.  My minor complaint is that the three girls weren't too developed.  Even the one with backstory was still fairly a 'one sided abducty'.  I also didn't care for the tie in to Unbreakable.  It didn't ruin the movie for me, but it felt like it cheapened it a bit.  Even with those nitpicks, I quite enjoyed it and would recommend it.  I mean it's probably worth watching just for McAvoy's multiple performances, he was great.

Had some time to watch a small  handful of things over the last week.

Funny Games US - I enjoyed it, but I think it's pretty superfluous too.  I think it's a very effective remake up to the point where I don't know if you really need to watch both.  I thought the victims in this version were better, but still liked the intruders in the original more.   It's probably due to Roth and Watts just being actors of a higher caliber.  Looking at it in a 'why would a director remake his own movie a decade later' way was fun and was where I got the bulk of my enjoyment.  Very fascinating to me.

The Strangers - I hadn't seen this yet and it seemed to fit the invasion kick I've been on.  I do see the parallels to Them, but it's a very different movie.   I enjoyed it a fair amount.  It made very good use of sound throughout and I always appreciate that.

Inside, Livid and Among the Living (The Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo directed films)

Inside had been on my radar for quite a while, seeing it mentioned in this thread brought it back into my mind a bit.  I thought it was fantastic.  Pretty intense all the way through and gloriously violent.  I didn't care for the CG bits much, fortunately they were very brief.

Livid was enjoyable, but didn't work for me overall . There were some neat ideas in there, just don't think the execution was quite right. It does have a solid creepiness to it.  Probably the weakest of their movies.

Among the Living was real strong early in and kind of lost the thread about 1/3rd or halfway in.  I really enjoyed the kinds exploring the abandoned studio part and wish the whole movie was just that.  It has kind of a Stand by Me or maybe Goonies vibe early on and that dissolves when the kids go home.  Some fun kills in the back half and worth a watch for sure.  Not really the movies fault, but the version I watched had some godawful subtitles.

I had absolutely no interest in the Leatherface prequel, but now that I know Maury and Bustillo are directing it, I'm very curious.