The official Horror fan topic

Rip

Do you guys remember the "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark"books? They're getting rereleased with the original artwork. I remember I got my copies at a scholastic book fair when I was in grade three. I like to think it had some influence over my interest in horror. If anyone's copies went missing over the years, or you never owned them, grab this! I gotta pick mine up from my parents house. 

Edit: I'm not the author of the below article, but it seems like we have a lot in common

http://ihorror.com/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark/#.WX0fyzdTDi4.facebook

Edited by Han Solo

13 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

Do you guys remember the "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark"books? They're getting rereleased with the original artwork. I remember I got my copies at a scholastic book fair when I was in grade three. I like to think it had some influence over my interest in horror. If anyone's copies went missing over the years, or you never owned them, grab this! I gotta pick mine up from my parents house. 

http://ihorror.com/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark/#.WX0fyzdTDi4.facebook

I grabbed 3 paperbacks with original art off of eBay a couple years ago.  They seem kind of "cheaply" made, so it's hard to tell if they're legit or not?  That sounds ridiculous to me because I've never heard of "bootlegged books."  But still... I may end up grabbing these anyways because I like the little box set thing they come in.

I like to think these began my love of horror.  I couldn't even tell you the amount of times I checked the first 2 out of my schools library when I was in middle school.  The art and stories freaked me the hell out but there was something about them that made me keep coming back.

They're legit! I think they may be like that because they were mostly sold through those catalogues and fairly inexpensive. Actually, I don't remember seeing them in book stores at all, at least not in Canada. Seems like a direct-to-school thing. I agree though, I wish they were a little more sturdy. 

Oh, totally. I'm not surprised at all they dumbed down the artwork in later editions haha. Those images were terrifying; the Windigo story really got to me 

• 2 weeks later...

whats up my horror homies. anyone see anything good lately? we watched demonic and house on willow street on Netflix, while they both weren't tooooooo bad demonic was def the better of the 2 and would recommend.

Edited by KingTacoMunster

11 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

whats up my horror homies. anyone see anything good lately? we watched demonic and house on willow street on Netflix, while they both weren't tooooooo bad demonic was def the better of the 2 and would recommend.

I've been curious about Willow St, but haven't had any time for it.  I've watched a handful of things in the last week (or whenever I last shared), but have been too busy to really post about them.  I should have some time tomorrow for a proper update.  I'm thinking of watching Laid to Rest tonight.  Not really sure how it ended up on my computer, but it seems like what I'm in the mood for.

Alright, here's what I've watched over the last few weeks.

Laid to Rest - It was a fun throwback slasher.  Kills were entertaining and the ragtag group of protagonists was a nice touch.  Did a nice job implementing modern-ish technology into the movie.  The killer was a tad bland and I'd say that's the biggest weakness.  I didn't love this enough to want to watch the sequel immediately, but I do think I'll get to it at some point.

Tonight She Comes - This was a total mess.  Lot of generic teens at a cabin material at the beginning and it's laced with cheap humor.  It eventually turns into a possession film of sorts and maybe a dash of It Follows type unstoppable monster.  There's some good gore and gross out stuff towards the end, I just don't think it's worth the time it takes to get there.  It'd be a hard one for me to recommend.

Hush - A friend recommend this and I thought it was decent.  It could easily be seen as a partial analogy for our reliance on technology (movie doesn't hammer this point home) or you can take it for a face value home invasion flick.  Deaf victim kept it interesting and worked well to add tension.  I'm not sure that John Gallagher Jr. works as a villain at all, very odd casting choice there.  Probably didn't help that his mask was pretty uninspired.  Glad I watched  it, not sure if I'd watch it again though.

The Strangers -  Just rockin' these home invasion movies!  I mostly enjoyed this.  I can see the comparisons to Them, but it's just a very different movie besides some general similarities.  It's been a couple weeks since I've watched this and can't really remember specifics besides the fact that I liked it.

It Stains The Sand Red - Not that good, but not bad enough to be fun either.  Kind of stumbles out of the gate and doesn't recover for about 15 minutes.  There's some fun monologue between the girl and the zombie and some occasional cleverness, but it mainly feels like something that would've made for a good short in anthology.  The last 20-30 minutes to in a real different direction too.  Not a bad thing necessarily, just felt a little out of place.  Zombie makeup and effects were pretty standard.  Some nice cinematography helps it a lot too.

Killing Ground - Takes a little too long to get moving, once it does it's a pretty tense ride until the end.  It's a pretty cruel film and leaves an impression.  Has some of that coldness that Funny Games has (and was mentioned in this thread).  A Wolf Creek comparison is pretty easy to make too, partially because of this being an Australian film.  Ending is quite dark as well.  I thought it was quite good, even with the slow start.

Had a horror movie night with my wife, cousin, and @thispartysucks128 last night.  We watched:

The Belko Experiment - Fun film for the most part.  Effects were pretty good, but like others have said, I felt like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be more of a comedy or what.  I still enjoyed it.

The Vanishing (1988) - Saw this years ago and remembered really liking it.  Wife and cousin had never seen it before either.  I loved it so much this time around.  One of the most fucked up and memorable endings.

We Go On - Probably my favorite one we watched that night.  It's from the same guys who directed "YellowBrickRoad" which I throughly enjoyed, but seems to get mixed reviews all-around.  But this one was soooo good.  The acting was surprisingly top notch and I was pretty on edge throughout the whole thing.  Some cheap jump scares here and there but are plenty of other great scares  that make up for it.  Definitely check it out if you get a chance.

Under The Shadow - Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.0 on IMDb.  I definitely liked it, but I'm surprised it wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be.  It was cool seeing a horror movie that was set in the middle of the Iran/Iraq war and there were a couple of moments where it was like "woah what the fuck?" when something happened or popped up.  But overall I guess I kind of expected more.  Felt like more things DIDN'T happen more than things that DID happen.

5 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Under The Shadow - Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.0 on IMDb.  I definitely liked it, but I'm surprised it wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be.  It was cool seeing a horror movie that was set in the middle of the Iran/Iraq war and there were a couple of moments where it was like "woah what the fuck?" when something happened or popped up.  But overall I guess I kind of expected more.  Felt like more things DIDN'T happen more than things that DID happen.

I liked this a fair amount if I remember right.  I think the setting and and what the monster is helped a lot.  You don't really see either of those things in movies.

Not horror, but I'm guessing this is on a few folks radars.  Watched 68 Kill today and though it was a fun way to waste a few hours on a Sunday.  Trash crime flick that was funnier than I would've guessed.  Don't know if it's an all time classic or anything, but I could see getting a small following.

3 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I liked this a fair amount if I remember right.  I think the setting and and what the monster is helped a lot.  You don't really see either of those things in movies.

Not horror, but I'm guessing this is on a few folks radars.  Watched 68 Kill today and though it was a fun way to waste a few hours on a Sunday.  Trash crime flick that was funnier than I would've guessed.  Don't know if it's an all time classic or anything, but I could see getting a small following.

The monster really was cool, I'll give it that.

I remember 68 Kill looked good from what I remember from the trailer.  My wife has a lady boner for Gubler and I know she wants to see it so we'll probably end up checking it out soon.

awesome, between figgypud and jon, got some movies to watch! anyone see Annabelle creation yet? we did Saturday and surprisingly like it. ive always thought all the conjuring was VERY overrated and the first Annabelle was just meh. but this new one has some decent scares, gore and strong story and the way they tie it in to the first was really great. also, there are 2 after credit scenes so stick around for it!

3 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

awesome, between figgypud and jon, got some movies to watch! anyone see Annabelle creation yet? we did Saturday and surprisingly like it. ive always thought all the conjuring was VERY overrated and the first Annabelle was just meh. but this new one has some decent scares, gore and strong story and the way they tie it in to the first was really great. also, there are 2 after credit scenes so stick around for it!

Havent seen Annabelle: Creation yet but I heard it was good.  I didn't think the first one was very good but figured this'll end up being like the Ouija movies where the first one sucked and the next one is better.  Seeing as this Annabelle was directed by the guy who did Lights Out, I'm thinking I'll enjoy this one more.

8 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

yup and the trailer for the flatliners remake which looks actually really good.

I had no clue there was a Flatliners remake in the works and I saw that trailer (can't remember which movie it was in front of) and I thought to myself "who do these assholes think they are stealing the flatliners story?". 

6 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I had no clue there was a Flatliners remake in the works and I saw that trailer (can't remember which movie it was in front of) and I thought to myself "who do these assholes think they are stealing the flatliners story?". 

It's technically a sequel actually!  Cause Kiefer Sutherland is returning to play his character.

Watched a few movies last night.

The Ice Cream Truck - Absolutely dreadful.  I think it was trying to be some sort of suburban satire, but it was just a very poorly done slasher.  Even a few friends and some alcohol didn't make this an enjoyable watch.  The protagonist is supposed to be in her mid to late 20s and she gets involved with this kid who just graduated high school and he looks like he's WAY older than her, haha.  Soooo poorly done.

Dave Made A Maze - I thought this was just brilliant.  I'd say more of a comedy / adventure movie with a dash of horror, but fuck was it good.  Highly recommend!