The official Horror fan topic

Rip

Watched Death Note tonight and mostly liked it.  I'm also not familiar with the source material at all, so I had no investment on that end, which I'm guessing helped a lot.  The plot is a bit of a mess, but I think Wingard's direction and style made up for that a lot.  I'd probably rewatch it if someone wanted to, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.  Some cool kills and decent music didn't hurt either.  I do think Wingard work is much stronger when it's original material and he's working with Barrett though.  I'm hoping those two loop back together and start doing original movies again.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Watched Death Note tonight and mostly liked it.  I'm also not familiar with the source material at all, so I had no investment on that end, which I'm guessing helped a lot.  The plot is a bit of a mess, but I think Wingard's direction and style made up for that a lot.  I'd probably rewatch it if someone wanted to, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.  Some cool kills and decent music didn't hurt either.  I do think Wingard work is much stronger when it's original material and he's working with Barrett though.  I'm hoping those two loop back together and start doing original movies again.

Shit I completely forgot Wingard and Barrett did this.  I haven't watched it yet but all day I've seen and heard of people saying how terrible it is.  I've seen the anime and I love it and I do want to see this movie.  But it's gonna be real hard to separate one from the other while watching (which I'm sure I'll have to do to at least semi-enjoy it).

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

This was my first exposure to the material as well.  It was fine.  I agree with pretty much all of your points.  Anyone who is in love with the material does seem to be having trouble considering this any better than a pile of garbage.  

9 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Shit I completely forgot Wingard and Barrett did this.  I haven't watched it yet but all day I've seen and heard of people saying how terrible it is.  I've seen the anime and I love it and I do want to see this movie.  But it's gonna be real hard to separate one from the other while watching (which I'm sure I'll have to do to at least semi-enjoy it).

Barrett wasn't involved.  I was mainly mentioning him because of how I think him and Wingard do their best work on new material together.  I think if you can get over it being an adaptation of something you love and watch it at face value, you're enjoyment will go a lot further.

9 hours ago, dantheriver said:

This was my first exposure to the material as well.  It was fine.  I agree with pretty much all of your points.  Anyone who is in love with the material does seem to be having trouble considering this any better than a pile of garbage.  

That's what I've seen too.  I probably wouldn't have watched it if I didn't like the director, just due to having no real connection past that.  Supposedly, Wingard is interested in doing another one if Netflix finds it worthwhile.

Had time for a few movies last night and one earlier this week.

It Comes At Night - I was a little gutted I couldn't see this in the theater, but the timing didn't work out.  I remember it getting mostly positive responses in here too.  I liked it quite a bit.  I don't think the survival / cabin fever / trust thing is anything new, the movie just executed it very well.  Direction was great, acting was mostly strong and it was paced perfectly for what it was doing.  I could see the ending being a bit divisive, but I liked it quite a bit.

Behind the Mask - I have no idea how this slipped under my radar for 10 years.  It was a very clever and funny take on things from the slasher's perspective.  It was a tad predictable, though that didn't take any enjoyment out of it.  I'm not sure if it has a ton of re-watch value for me, but I am quite happy I watched it.

Hatchet - Decided I needed to watch a proper slasher after Behind the Mask.  I thought this was pretty fun and was full of enjoyable kills.  It made for a nice "I'm a little drunk on a Friday night" watch.

Not completely horror related, but I'm sure people in this thread will be interested.  Jeremy Saulnier (Green Room, Blue Ruin) is directing the next season of True Detective.  Which ramps my interest up from pretty much zero to a fair amount.

11 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Not completely horror related, but I'm sure people in this thread will be interested.  Jeremy Saulnier (Green Room, Blue Ruin) is directing the next season of True Detective.  Which ramps my interest up from pretty much zero to a fair amount.

Oh shit! I gave up on TD a few episodes into season 2 and had been ignoring all the news about season 3. Now I'll definitely check it out.

Actually watched his first film Murder Party, from like 2007, a couple weeks ago. It's "art school/student satire" is a little too on the nose with zero subtlety, but it was fun.

10 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Had time for a few movies last night and one earlier this week.

It Comes At Night - I was a little gutted I couldn't see this in the theater, but the timing didn't work out.  I remember it getting mostly positive responses in here too.  I liked it quite a bit.  I don't think the survival / cabin fever / trust thing is anything new, the movie just executed it very well.  Direction was great, acting was mostly strong and it was paced perfectly for what it was doing.  I could see the ending being a bit divisive, but I liked it quite a bit.

Behind the Mask - I have no idea how this slipped under my radar for 10 years.  It was a very clever and funny take on things from the slasher's perspective.  It was a tad predictable, though that didn't take any enjoyment out of it.  I'm not sure if it has a ton of re-watch value for me, but I am quite happy I watched it.

Hatchet - Decided I needed to watch a proper slasher after Behind the Mask.  I thought this was pretty fun and was full of enjoyable kills.  It made for a nice "I'm a little drunk on a Friday night" watch.

Love all of these movies.  Good timing on Hatchet because I guess the trailer for the 4th one just came out recently so that'll be out soon.  At least I think they're considering it the "4th one?"  I've seen people call it a remake, but I'm not sure.  Would be pretty dumb since the films aren't that old at all.  Directed by the same guy though.

Behind the Mask is soooo good.  Still holding out hope for a sequel one day.  It's been talked about before and I believe there was even a Kickstarter for one at some point, but unfortunately it never reached it's goal :(.

And THANKS SO MUCH  for mentioning who the director of the new season of True Detective is.  I read an article the other day confirming the 3rd season and it didn't even occur to me who the director actually was.  I'm in the minority who still really enjoyed the 2nd season, even if it was a bit of a mess.  But now I'm beyond excited for the new season.

I know the American Horror Story show is kind of a joke at this point, but the new season of that starts in like... 3 days or something?  My wife and I have watched all of the seasons so far and they always end up being a fun watch for us.

NEW SEASON OF "CHANNEL ZERO" IS SEPTEMBER 20TH THOUGH!  I really can't wait for that. Enjoyed the hell out of the first season.

Edited by FiggyPud

13 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

And THANKS SO MUCH  for mentioning who the director of the new season of True Detective is.  I read an article the other day confirming the 3rd season and it didn't even occur to me who the director actually was.  I'm in the minority who still really enjoyed the 2nd season, even if it was a bit of a mess.  But now I'm beyond excited for the new season.

I disliked TD season 2 so much that I was happy when it didn't get renewed right off the bat.  Casting Mahershala Ali, Saulnier directing and David Milch writing an episode are all very big pluses going into season 3.

I finally got around to watching [REC]4 last night and it was pretty mediocre.  I really liked 1 and 2, but thought 3 was a major misstep.  4 was a little more back on track, it mainly just seemed pretty generic zombie movie compared to the first few. 

9 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I disliked TD season 2 so much that I was happy when it didn't get renewed right off the bat.  Casting Mahershala Ali, Saulnier directing and David Milch writing an episode are all very big pluses going into season 3.

I finally got around to watching [REC]4 last night and it was pretty mediocre.  I really liked 1 and 2, but thought 3 was a major misstep.  4 was a little more back on track, it mainly just seemed pretty generic zombie movie compared to the first few. 

Agree with you 100% about the [REC] movies.  Loved 1 and 2, 3rd was pretty forgettable for the most part, but I do remember enjoying it.  And the 4th was alright.  Like you said, pretty much generic zombie movie that didn't really do anything new with the genre like the first one did.

15 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Agree with you 100% about the [REC] movies.  Loved 1 and 2, 3rd was pretty forgettable for the most part, but I do remember enjoying it.  And the 4th was alright.  Like you said, pretty much generic zombie movie that didn't really do anything new with the genre like the first one did.

I really hope that the 4th one is the actual last one too.  I don't feel like they have anything new to show us.

Watched Popcorn yesterday and thought it was light and fun (much like it's namesake).    Not the worst way to burn 90 minutes on Sunday.

Got my tickets for "IT" for Saturday morning!  In XD too.  First time for that, so I'm excited.  I know this is like... supposed to be the biggest horror film in quite a while, but I'm really hoping there aren't many people there.  I hate movie theater people.  Especially for horror films.  You never know what you're gonna get.

1 minute ago, KingTacoMunster said:

I agree. My biggest gripe would be too much cgi but everything was super solid

The CGI honestly didn't bother me that much and usually that's something that does.  I feel like it was done really well.  Like... it never took me out of the movie if that makes sense.  I was never like "well that looks fake as hell."

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some more free time than usual lately, so I've been binging monster movies:

Exists (2014)

The Reef (2009)

Digging Up The Marrow (2014)

Revenge Of The Creature (1955)

Splinter (2008)

The Monster (2016)

Is there anything else similar I should be checking out? 

1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

I've had some more free time than usual lately, so I've been binging monster movies:

Exists (2014)

The Reef (2009)

Digging Up The Marrow (2014)

Revenge Of The Creature (1955)

Splinter (2008)

The Monster (2016)

Is there anything else similar I should be checking out? 

Have you seen The Host? The Korean one, not that one based on the novel by the Twilight author. That one is fun.

Also, I'll assume you've seen John Carpenter's The Thing, but it's literally impossible to watch that too many times.

3 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Have you seen The Host? The Korean one, not that one based on the novel by the Twilight author. That one is fun.

Also, I'll assume you've seen John Carpenter's The Thing, but it's literally impossible to watch that too many times.

I love both of those! The Thing is classic

47 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Not 100% "horror," but I did go and see Mother! today.  I don't get why so many people are shitting on it.  I loved it a lot.

I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the marketing being misleading. I didn’t watch any trailers so I went in not knowing what to expect and thought it was awesome.

Edited by dantheriver

2 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the marketing being misleading. I didn’t watch any trailers so I went in not knowing what to expect and thought it was awesome.

Yeah I didn't watch or read a single thing about it beforehand either.  So glad I didn't.