The official Horror fan topic

Rip

3 minutes ago, stranaspank said:

Anyone do The Mist TV show? The movie has the best ending of all time, but I don't know how it would hold up as an entire series.

It's not good. It could have been good as a series, but it's not. It also got cancelled after one season so it ends on a cliffhanger

50 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Yooooo, new Cloverfield movie up on Netflix!  Hopefully gonna watch it tonight.

I watched it last night and thought it was a dud.  Seemed to be a run-of-the-mill sci-fi horror movie that they slapped the Cloverfield brand onto for some reason.  The cynical side of me thinks Netflix dropped it with little announcement as an attempt to get ahead of the fact that it isn't very good.  After seeing it and knowing that Paramount wasn't happy with it seems to confirm that a bit.  I wouldn't say don't watch it, but it's definitely far worse than the last two. 

Here are the non-Cloverfield things I watched over the weekend.

Cut Shoot Kill - I'd be surprised if this concept hasn't been done before, but it was new to me as far as I remember.  I liked it, even though some of it falls apart if you analyze it much.  It was a very fun Saturday night beer movie.

Intruders -  Not a terrible home invasion movie, but fairly forgettable.  Martin Starr does a decent job as a villain, think that was my biggest take from it. 

All Girls Weekend - This was full on awful in every single way.

The Wailing - I thought this was quite good, but too long for my taste.  I think some others here mentioned similar thoughts.

9 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I watched it last night and thought it was a dud.  Seemed to be a run-of-the-mill sci-fi horror movie that they slapped the Cloverfield brand onto for some reason.  The cynical side of me thinks Netflix dropped it with little announcement as an attempt to get ahead of the fact that it isn't very good.  After seeing it and knowing that Paramount wasn't happy with it seems to confirm that a bit.  I wouldn't say don't watch it, but it's definitely far worse than the last two. 

That's definitely what it was. I actually thought about it maybe a week ago. I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane was on Prime and was like "Wait, wasn't the 3rd one supposed to come out last year?" So I googled it and saw it was delayed a few times and there were rumours of it being completely reedited to remove large amounts of stuff (It was originally called God Particle, so there was presumably some shit about that in there). Was surprised yesterday to hear it was going to surprise drop on Netflix. 

All of that screamed "This isn't any good, we spent quadruple it's initial budget trying to salvage it, and most people don't know anything about it....so...lets Radiohead this shit and hope people watch it."

It wasn't very good, but I'm a sucker for space movies so I had a good enough time.

10 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Victor Crowley - A mild let down, but overall I thought it was fun.  The humor and setup fell pretty flat for me, but there were some wonderfully over the top kills.

ive been meaning to see if there was a good copy on the android box...stoked for this.

Edited by KingTacoMunster

Anyone catch the new episode of Channel Zero?  It was pretty good.  My wife’s like “I already like this episode better than the last 2 seasons.”  Which I don’t think I can say after just one episode.

She loved the first season because it was somewhat “contained” and only focused on a few people.  She liked the second season, but felt it was too all over the place.

I’ve personally loved all the seasons so far.  Actually kind of sad that they’re airing this new season so soon after the last one cause now it’ll feel like forever until the next one.

6 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Anyone catch the new episode of Channel Zero?  It was pretty good.  My wife’s like “I already like this episode better than the last 2 seasons.”  Which I don’t think I can say after just one episode.

She loved the first season because it was somewhat “contained” and only focused on a few people.  She liked the second season, but felt it was too all over the place.

I’ve personally loved all the seasons so far.  Actually kind of sad that they’re airing this new season so soon after the last one cause now it’ll feel like forever until the next one.

I enjoyed the new episode quite a bit. The teaser for the rest of the season is very promising.

I personally loved season 1 and was kinda mehh about season 2. Like you said, it was very all over the place. There were times when I was like wait what the fuck is going on?

33 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I didn't realize they were already on season 3.  I wasn't looking at picking up any new shows when it started, but I have a lot more time on my hands now.  Sounds like it's worth my time!

Yeah the first season was 2 October’s ago.  The second season was last October.  And then for some reason they churned our season three real quick and it just started earlier this week.

Doesn’t look like the rushing of the third season effected the quality though.  Still looks as good as ever and is as creepy as ever.  I’m sad and glad they’re only 6 episodes.  Stops it from being too drawn out but it’s over too quick.

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I didn't realize they were already on season 3.  I wasn't looking at picking up any new shows when it started, but I have a lot more time on my hands now.  Sounds like it's worth my time!

Season one was sooo good. I still need to get caught up, but I'm sure you'll like it. 

13 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Just watched “The Ritual” on Netflix.  Really cool and creepy at times.  The premise may not be the most original, but the creature is something rarely done in films.

Definitely worth checking out.

I watched it last night and felt similarly.  It's not without it's flaws, but it does the 'lost in the woods' things fairly well.  Great visuals and a cool monster too.  The shift about an hour in felt a little disjointed to me, but I thought it was quite enjoyable overall.