The Official Horror Thread

Rip

9 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I really liked Spring, but Resolution kind of slipped my mind every time I was looking for something to watch.  I was reading that there's supposed to be some ties to Resolution in The Endless too.

I loved Spring also haha.  Still need to see Endless!  I keep forgetting about it.  Gotta get on that soon cause so far those guys haven’t let me down.

I just found out I'm going to be in Chicago for part of Cinepocalypse.  I don't know if I can burn my whole trip at it, but I'm thinking that I might buy a pass and try to see a few movies each day while I'm there.  Kind of stoked.  I've been real interested in a genre fest, but never thought it was something I'd travel just for.

Today my wife and I watched:

- Flatliners (1990)

- Happy Death Day

- Boys in the Trees

I really enjoyed all of them.  Flatliners had some

corny moments, but all-around pretty good.

Happy Death Day was a lot of fun.  Surprisingly I wasn’t expecting the big twist so that was refreshing.

Boys in the Trees was cool.  There seemed to be a lot going on, but it almost seemed like it wasn’t sure what kind of movie it really wanted to be.  There were moments where it felt very much like a horror film, but then other times it seemed to lean more towards the “fantasy” genre.  Also I should’ve seen that ending coming from a mile away but it didn’t cross my mind until about 3/4 of the way through.

Estranged - Nice little horror / mystery film that had a good atmosphere and creepiness to it.  The exposition on the why didn't feel too organic, but that's a mild complaint.  It's a little under 90 minutes and moves real nicely too.

Winchester - Kind of knew this wasn't going to be good and I was correct.  It wasn't so terrible that is was completely unenjoyable, but it really felt like some producers or the studio wanted The Conjuring only in the Winchester Mystery House.  Wish it would've been more of a psychological horror than a sub-par ghost movie.

Ended up skipping the 4 day pass to Cineapocalypse, but I got tickets to Summer of '84, The Cop Baby, Await Further Instructions and Tales from the Crypt : Demon Knight.  Pretty stoked!  I'm going to parse through the list again after work and see if anything else interests me, these were just the ones that jumped out on a glance.

Posted this in the funko thread, figured it might interest some people here as well

Just picked both of these up. They had a few more of each at the mall I go to if anyone is interested. Cost + Tax + Shipping.

Pennywise with Wrought Iron through Head ($15....FYE loves to gouge their prices on exclusives)
pennywise-w-wrought-iron-544-6052-1_zpsi

Pennywise In Gutter (Hot Topic Exclusive) ($32.50)
apilbgkfd__49618.1526122466_zpsxhobk6hu.

5 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Ended up skipping the 4 day pass to Cineapocalypse, but I got tickets to Summer of '84, The Cop Baby, Await Further Instructions and Tales from the Crypt : Demon Knight.  Pretty stoked!  I'm going to parse through the list again after work and see if anything else interests me, these were just the ones that jumped out on a glance.

Can’t believe I JUST heard about Summer of ‘84 last night.  Super excited for that.  I loved Turbo Kid.

Watched Puppet Master last night and it was definitely bad, not even in a fun way.  I realized I wasn't familiar with the franchise at all and figured I'd dip my toe in with the first one.  Anyone know if they get more enjoyable as time goes on or if they're all kind of duds?  The last 20 minutes were pretty rad, but any of the non-puppet stuff was real boring / bad.

8 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Watched Puppet Master last night and it was definitely bad, not even in a fun way.  I realized I wasn't familiar with the franchise at all and figured I'd dip my toe in with the first one.  Anyone know if they get more enjoyable as time goes on or if they're all kind of duds?  The last 20 minutes were pretty rad, but any of the non-puppet stuff was real boring / bad.

lol ive kinda enjoyed them all but I'm a sucker for cheese horror. 3 is probably favorite but they are all about the same. I do wanna see the new one that just came out or is about to come out. ill have to look into that.

43 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I believe I’ve only seen the first 2 (maybe 3?) and from what I remember, I had fun watching them.  They weren’t amazing at all but they’re good to watch with a group of people.

Watched “I Remember You” yesterday.  Kind of like an “Icelandic ‘Orphanage’”.  So for those who enjoyed that film, you should like this one.

Also, I know it’s not “technically” horror, but my wife and I watched a lot of true crime stuff this past weekend.  We watched “Evil Genius” which was insaaane.  Seriously, check this out if you’re into true crime stuff like The Keepers.  Also watched the “Zodiac” movie, and have been making our way through the British show “Encounters with Evil.”  Each episode has a theme and it just goes into detail of  3 or 4 different people that committed crimes that fell into that category.  Really good stuff.  It’s on Netflix (along with Evil Genius).

1 hour ago, FiggyPud said:

Watched “I Remember You” yesterday.  Kind of like an “Icelandic ‘Orphanage’”.  So for those who enjoyed that film, you should like this one.

This has been on my computer for a month or so, but I haven't been in the mood for anything subtitled lately.

1 hour ago, FiggyPud said:

I believe I’ve only seen the first 2 (maybe 3?) and from what I remember, I had fun watching them.  They weren’t amazing at all but they’re good to watch with a group of people.

2 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

lol ive kinda enjoyed them all but I'm a sucker for cheese horror. 3 is probably favorite but they are all about the same. I do wanna see the new one that just came out or is about to come out. ill have to look into that.

Good to know, I might make some time for 2/3 and see if I enjoy them more.  Part of the reason is because I'm real interested in Littlest Reich and would like a little knowledge of the franchise going in (even though I think it's technically a reboot).

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread