The Official Horror Thread

Rip

1 hour ago, FiggyPuddling said:

The acting's pretty damn good as well (except the famous "FUCK YOU" line).  

I wish there was one "near" me as well.  I moved about 40 minutes from my parents house this past February and there isn't an FYE near me at all.  Luckily I stop in town and visit them/some friends almost every weekend so I can usually find the time to stop in there and do a quick search.

I am fortunate enough to live near a Best Buy, Target, two Exchange's, and a Buybacks now though.  Buybacks is about 15 minutes from me now but 9 times out of 10 it's worth the drive.  They have some of the cheapest stuff I've ever seen.

The acting is on point. Especially for such no name actors who never really did much else, you can definitely feel their frustration when they're lost. Same goes for the fake documentary, it feels very legit. 

I've never even heard of Buybacks? I live just outside Boston, so we have tons of Best Buys/Targets/Newbury Comics. Newbury has cool shit, but they're so overpriced. Amazon is always cheaper new, than they charge for used stuff. But sometimes you can find some gems in the used section. Like a year ago I found Ichi the Killer on bluray for like $5 bucks. That's an OOP $50 dollar bluray!

Edited by kylet

2 hours ago, kylet said:

The acting is on point. Especially for such no name actors who never really did much else, you can definitely feel their frustration when they're lost. Same goes for the fake documentary, it feels very legit. 

I've never even heard of Buybacks? I live just outside Boston, so we have tons of Best Buys/Targets/Newbury Comics. Newbury has cool shit, but they're so overpriced. Amazon is always cheaper new, than they charge for used stuff. But sometimes you can find some gems in the used section. Like a year ago I found Ichi the Killer on bluray for like $5 bucks. That's an OOP $50 dollar bluray!

Buybacks is basically a used CD/video game/blu-ray/DVD store.  The only downside with them is that they don't give store credit when you bring stuff in, just cash.  But yeah, I've found some great stuff there for under $5.  I'll post them next chance I get.

So jealous of that Ichi blu-ray.  Funny enough, I think I grabbed the DVD version last time I was at Buybacks haha.

I watch Blair Witch Project every year as part of my October horror movie a day marathon. It fucked me up as a kid. I think I was 11 when I saw it and I've never been that scared  in a theater and never will be again. My girlfriend and I took off the 16th to go see the new one (we legit requested off months and months ago when the first trailer for The Woods dropped) and I hope I can get high enough that I get scared. Being high in a movie theater is the closest I can get to attaining that childhood sense of "wonder" while at the movies.

We've unofficially started our horror marathon for the year. Working on a set schedule for October, I'll post it when it's finished. We managed 40 movies last year. Aiming for 60 this year since we added September.

I don't collect blurays anymore outside of Criterions, but Best Buy is where it's at. You have to actually go in and browse to find the random good deals though. Grabbed Devils Rejects for seriously $2. Got a 4 movie Coen Bros box set for $20 and Evil Dead 2/Silence of the Lambs/Pulp Fiction/A Clockwork Orange/The Shinning/Dark City/Memento/From Dusk to Dawn/Terminator 2 for $5 each

13 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Buybacks is basically a used CD/video game/blu-ray/DVD store.  The only downside with them is that they don't give store credit when you bring stuff in, just cash.  But yeah, I've found some great stuff there for under $5.  I'll post them next chance I get.

So jealous of that Ichi blu-ray.  Funny enough, I think I grabbed the DVD version last time I was at Buybacks haha.

I wasn't feeling Ichi the Killer at all. Definitely not my thing. I bought it, watched it, wasn't feeling it so I sold it on ebay. But I made a few bucks and bought some other cool stuff haha.

Speaking of The Collector and The Collection (love both of them), anyone hear about the new movie out from the director of these called "The Neighbor?"  Came out on blu-ray/DVD yesterday.  It stars Bill Engvall (yes THAT Bill Engvall), Scott Stewart (who was the main character in both Collector and Collection) and the main girl from Starry Eyes.  Apparently it's really good?  I would've bought it yesterday but Best Buy only had the DVD for some reason and since it's out on blu-ray also, I'm one of this guys who would rather just have it on that format.

Edited by FiggyPuddling

10 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Speaking of The Collector and The Collection (love both of them), anyone hear about the new movie out from the director of these called "The Neighbor?"  Came out on blu-ray/DVD yesterday.  It stars Bill Engvall (yes THAT Bill Engvall), Scott Stewart (who was the main character in both Collector and Collection) and the main girl from Starry Eyes.  Apparently it's really good?  I would've bought it yesterday but Best Buy only had the DVD for some reason and since it's out on blu-ray also, I'm one of this guys who would rather just have it on that format.

I have not but will definitely look into it!

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

Oof. I just finished The Orphanage (2007). Guillermo Del Toro really likes to make sad movies, doesn't he? That was depressing as fuck but very good. The new Blair Witch sequel tomorrow looks promising as well.

Seeing Blair witch Saturday, can't wait

3 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Oof. I just finished The Orphanage (2007). Guillermo Del Toro really likes to make sad movies, doesn't he? That was depressing as fuck but very good. The new Blair Witch sequel tomorrow looks promising as well.

Love The Orphanage and can't wait for Blair Witch!  Seeing it next Thursday.

I'd give Blair Witch a C+ or a B-

It was fun but not great. It would have much better without the Blair Witch connection.

It adhered too closely to the beats of the original BWP. Including ending on the same shot. I think it would have turned into a much better film without those elements.

A few of the scares definitely got me to jump and one shot in particular near the end made me mutter "Nope. No. No no no no..." to my girlfriend.

4 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

It was fun but not great. It would have much better without the Blair Witch connection.

Hide contents

It adhered too closely to the beats of the original BWP. Including ending on the same shot. I think it would have turned into a much better film without those elements.

A few of the scares definitely got me to jump and one shot in particular near the end made me mutter "Nope. No. No no no no..." to my girlfriend.

I'd give it like a B to B+. I liked the last half hour a lot but was feeling sorda bored until it amped up. Overall I'd say I enjoyed this more than 31.

Spoiler

First 20 minutes was basically just 20 minutes of them hanging out and talking about their equipment and whatnot (Could have dealt with a slimmed down version of this).
Next 20 was them just walking into the woods
Followed by like 20 of a lot of "did you hear that" cheap jump scare bullshit
Things really amp up the last half hour which I was into. 

Edited by kylet

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:51 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

I agree with this. Just awhile for it to get going, but surprisingly the first hour goes quick. from the reviews/hype, I was a little disappointed but liked it better than the original.

If anyone is in the Boston area After Midnight is doing some really cool stuff for their Flick 'r Treat series (Exorcist, American Werewolf in London, Evil Dead, and tons more)

http://www.coolidge.org/programs/flickr-treats

Unfortunately my Halloween job starts up this weekend so I won't be able to make many of these. I am going to try to go to the Cabin of Horror Double feature (Evil Dead/Cabin In The Woods) that's actually in the woods. It's at the same place I posted about a few pages back that showed Friday the 13th in the woods, which was a ton of fun!

Went to Best But earlier and grabbed some horror stuff I've been wanting.  They had a small "Halloween" themes section with some great deals:

- Blair With Project (blu-ray for $6.99)

- Bloodsucking Bastards (blu-ray for $8.99)

Also got The Conjuring 1 & 2 blu-ray's.  Neither one was "cheap."  The first one for $11.99 and the second one for $22.99.  The second one just came out so that's why the price was what it was.

But yeah!  Super stoked on all of them.

My girlfriend and I stayed up way too late and drank a little too much last night, but we finalized our October Horror Fest schedule. I'll hide it under spoilers cause it's massive. Preemptively: Yes, I know I'm missing [movie] and yes I know [other movie] sucks or whatever. There's no way to get every movie we wanted to watch or should watch on there. Some movies are ones we watch every year and received priority space. Some movies are there because the fit a mood/tone/theme. Some truly classic horror films were left off because they're not quite "Halloweeny." We are still desperately trying to come up with a third movie to watch on Halloween.

10/1: Hocus Pocus / The Faculty

10/2: Adams Family Values / Beetlejuice

10/3: Crimson Peak / The Haunting (1999)

10/4: Poltergeist / Paranormal Activity 2 (or 3) / Ghostwatch

10/5: Burnt Offerings / Amityville Horror / The Beyond

10/6: The Changeling (1980)

10/7: The Shining / YellowBrickRoad

10/8: Grave Encounters / The Blair Witch Project

10/9: Blade / The Lost Boys

10/10: Let the Right One In / Midnight Son

10/11: Martin / Season of the Witch (1973)

10/12: Nosferatu (1922) / Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

10/13 : Vampyr (1933) / Shadow of the Vampire

10/14: The Neon Demon / Suspiria

10/15: Hellraiser

10/16: The Omen / Rosemary's Baby

10/17: The Craft / Scream / Ginger Snaps

10/18: A Nightmare on Elm Street / Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

10/19: Tucker and Dale vs Evil / The Cabin in the Woods

10/20: Re-Animator / Trick R Treat

10/21: Zombieland / Dead Alive

10/22: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

10/23: Dawn of the Dead (1978) / Zombi (1979)

10/24: Evil Dead 2 / Return of the Living Dead

10/25: Phantasm / The Dead Zone (1983)

10/26: The Exorcist / Here Comes the Devil

10/27: Berberian Sound Studio / Pontypool

10/28: John Carpernter's The Thing / Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

10/29: Haxan (1922) / The Wicker Man (1973) / The Witch

10/30: Sleepy Hollow / Edward Scissorhands

10/31: The Conjuring / Halloween / ???

11/1: Eraserhead

11/2: Mulholland Drive / Haute Tension

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread