New to Vinyl FAQ

6. Where can I find pressing info? How many copies of my record were pressed?

The best source for knowing how many records of which color at which pressing were pressed is Discogs.

Dead Format is also a nice source.

• id also say to check the labels website as well.

also.... google is your friend!

6. Where can I find pressing info? How many copies of my record were pressed?

The best source for knowing how many records of which color at which pressing were pressed is Discogs.

Dead Format is also a nice source.

• id also say to check the labels website as well.

also.... google is your friend!

Thanks for the suggestion, going in now.

It doesn't even help you sell the record. Put other bands in the title if you want more people to see it.

Not really a FAQ, but it's obnoxious to read "ultra, mega, and/or rare" in every eBay and sale listing. Don't just use buzzwords.

How is this? 

Don't use "ultra, mega and/or rare" in the title of your eBay listing if more than 300 copies were pressed within the past 10 years.

Please modify the number and date.

I don't feel comfortable dictating a blanket rule for selling because there are always exceptions.

It is frowned upon by the vinyl community when "ultra, mega and/or rare" are applied to recent or mass produced releases in their auction titles. 

don't put other bands in the title. I searched for the band I was looking for, not some other band.

Who am I trying to help, the seller or the buyer?

What about side projects? I know it is easier to search alkaline trio and have slapstick, heavens, and emergency room stuff come up. That actually helps both the buyer and the seller.

On whatever "the old lp" site used to be called there was an option to search by band or title line, but eBay doesn't have this option.

Who am I trying to help, the seller or the buyer?

What about side projects? I know it is easier to search alkaline trio and have slapstick, heavens, and emergency room stuff come up. That actually helps both the buyer and the seller.

On whatever "the old lp" site used to be called there was an option to search by band or title line, but eBay doesn't have this option.

The side projects thing makes perfect sense, but adding "Jawbreaker" (and others) to every auction for albums by Rancid, Green Day, Blink, Sum 41, and every other band where the seller says "this kinda sorta sounds like Jawbreaker if you plug your ears and hum" is just silly.

Agreed. I hate that. If I'm looking for a Jawbreaker record I don't want to weed through 150 shitty pop punk band LPs just to find the band I searched for.

I think this needs further debate because we're encroaching the territory of personal opinion.

For instance, I got a great deal on the remaining Teen Idols records I was missing because someone listed them under "Screeching Weasel" and I check SW a few times a day.

But if you're looking for NOFX, it sucks.

I search for Misfits everyday as well and weed through stuff. But it doesn't bother me.

My general standard title line for selling on ebay these days:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue LP - 1959 - Six Eye Label  brand new/thrice/wonder years

Anyone have any objections to this as a recommended format? I think it's a good idea, personally, but I promise not to let my personal opinions have weight on this thread over any other's voices.

If you have any edits you'd like me to make, please list them below.

I think this needs further debate because we're encroaching the territory of personal opinion.

For instance, I got a great deal on the remaining Teen Idols records I was missing because someone listed them under "Screeching Weasel" and I check SW a few times a day.

I search for Misfits everyday as well and weed through stuff. But it doesn't bother me.

I think there's some legitimacy to it, but it really depends on how assholey the seller is about it. I mean, listing a Green Day record and tagging it with "screeching weasel rancid nofx jawbreaker nirvana lawrence arms" is just shitty. Which is something I see a lot of on eBay. It's all together different if you're tagging a Sundowner LP with "broadways lawrence arms". 

I think what I'm saying is that the key is to be tasteful about it, and not border on spamming. That's all.

you should give me one of those american psycho records.

The side projects thing makes perfect sense, but adding "Jawbreaker" (and others) to every auction for albums by Rancid, Green Day, Blink, Sum 41, and every other band where the seller says "this kinda sorta sounds like Jawbreaker if you plug your ears and hum" is just silly.

This exactly. Including Coheed and Cambria in the description or even title of your posting of a Prize Fighter Inferno record makes sense, as a fan of Coheed and Cambria is reasonably likely to be interested in a band member's side project and may have not known about the side project.

What I'm sick of is when I search for a band and I get a dozen other bands in the search results, half of which I don't give a shit about.

you should give me one of those american psycho records.

1. You must have me confused with someone else. I have nothing on eBay now.

2. I only have one American Psycho.

3. I recently gave away a huge chunk of my Misfits variants (including Famous Monsters) to someone here who lost their collection in Sandy. That person didn't ask and was humble enough to try to refuse the offer.

4. You should buy your own copy.

1. You must have me confused with someone else. I have nothing on eBay now.

2. I only have one American Psycho.

3. I recently gave away a huge chunk of my Misfits variants (including Famous Monsters) to someone here who lost their collection in Sandy. That person didn't ask and was humble enough to try to refuse the offer.

4. You should buy your own copy.

1. I didn't look on ebay. I looked at your list from your profile.

2. According to that list you are showing two.

3. Good for you my man. And lastly

4. Sarcasm you turd.