New to Vinyl FAQ

Guest realtalk

Please add: NEVER SEND MONEY ON PAYPAL AS A GIFT.

No, tell them what it means and the risks involved. New buyers especially are often requested to send money as a gift from sellers.

"2. audiophile - a person who is anal about sound quality"

This is stupid. Wikipedia says it perfectly, "person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction". Its not about being anal, but actually caring about quality.

OK, then, you can rewrite it for me without plagiarising wikipedia, I'll make the edit. Personally, I call myself and audiophile and I am very anal about sound quality.

Project Debut Espirit with DL 110 through a Denon F107. I can't remember the name of the speaker, begins with an L and produced by Denon. I shipped them on a boat from Japan so I haven't seen them for 2 months. I'm using Sennheiser 500 series headphones. They are comfortable and sound better than most headphones, but I find they do not reproduce drums so well. I used to use Denon 1000s which were great, but they broke. I bought 5000s, but they gave me too much sibilance (i listen to a lot of punk which isn't well recorded) and returned them for the Sennheiser 500s.

I was planning to upgrade to a MMF5.1 or Project Expression, but now I think I will save for either the MMF7.1 or the Xperience. 

I like the idea of a double-plinth and not having to lift the platter to change speeds. I like the looks of acrylic platter and like the wooden colors of the Xpression and Xperience. One option is to use my acrylic platterwith the Xpression and get a speed box. I like the idea of a carbon arm, so that might rule out the mmf 5.1. Just wish there was something that combined:

double plinth, acrylic platter, pulley in the back, carbon arm.

OK, then, you can rewrite it for me without plagiarising wikipedia, I'll make the edit. Personally, I call myself and audiophile and I am very anal about sound quality.

Wikipedia's reference: "^ "Audiophile". Dictionary.reference.com. 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2011."

I wouldn't worry about plagiarising a dictionary definition.

Anyone want to answer these questions?

What is the difference between quality of picture discs and standard disks?

How are picture disks made?

Does black vinyl sound better than colored vinyl?

Picture discs are two clear record halves glued together with a picture in between, I'm not sure about quality difference, I don't own any pic discs.

Some people have said that clear records sound the best, others have said they're are the worst, I don't think there is much difference between black and any other colour, I personally like black vinyl the best and it is the easiest to spot dust / scuffing etc.

There should be an answer to "Is this album ever going to be repressed or can some please press this album?" since it seems that what's a lot of new people decide to start threads for.

Not really sure what the answer should be though. Probably something like, "We don't know. There are several labels who are often on the boards and are nice enough to let us know when they are releasing things. However, we try not to pester them or beg for certain releases. If there is an album you really want pressed, you can try doing it yourself. Please see the How to Press a Record thread for more information on that."

I think this needs further debate because we're encroaching the territory of personal opinion.

For instance, I got a great deal on the remaining Teen Idols records I was missing because someone listed them under "Screeching Weasel" and I check SW a few times a day.

But if you're looking for NOFX, it sucks.

I search for Misfits everyday as well and weed through stuff. But it doesn't bother me.

I guess this practice is the same as a supermarket checkout, you bought or looked for what you wanted but now you are given all these additional things that are not quite what you came for, but you may just go for it as it is there.

And your Teen Idols analogy works well, because that is what browsing is all about, yes of course it is annoying if your search list returns 2 items you are looking for and 50 you don't. But in the good old days of going to record shops, it was never guaranteed that you find what you want. 

And please no one tell me that record collecting should be database search precision and sniper bids only because then it is time to pack it all in...

IMHO

• 3 weeks later...