What's your latest purchase?

Haha, I can see that. Just wish I had the funds to play around. I was toying around with upgrading everthing in my setup, but soundstage is no longer offering the Scout b-stock. Looks like ill have to save up some more to get the Scout 1.1. I was looking forward to the acrylic platter, but a lot of people seem to prefer the aluminum one. This phono stage looks like it might be the ticket. So the nighthawk charges? I was looking at the musical surrounds phonomena cause it was battery powered. Gonna have to check it out some more.

Awesome setup by the way!

Haha, I can see that. Just wish I had the funds to play around. I was toying around with upgrading everthing in my setup, but soundstage is no longer offering the Scout b-stock. Looks like ill have to save up some more to get the Scout 1.1. I was looking forward to the acrylic platter, but a lot of people seem to prefer the aluminum one. This phono stage looks like it might be the ticket. So the nighthawk charges? I was looking at the musical surrounds phonomena cause it was battery powered. Gonna have to check it out some more.

Awesome setup by the way!

I've owned the Musical Surroundings Phonomena...the Nighthawk walks ALL OVER it in sound quality and build quality.  No comparison.  The Nighthawk is a Lithium Ion battery powered phonostage.  It only works on battery and has a playtime of 8 hours a day for 6 to 8 days without needing a charge.  When it needs a charge, it charges full in 1 hour.

I have the acrylic platter as well.  The aluminum platter has a different sound and one that I am CURRENTLY favoring.  The acrylic platter sounds great as well...just a different sound.

The Scout 1.1 would be fabulous.  In fact, even the Traveller I heard at the SHOW in Newport was stunning.  I can't believe that VPI can muster that amount of sound quality for $1299.  Very high performance for the price just like the Nighthawk.

Oh no, the Q-up is just a nice little device that does exactly what it is supposed to.  Also, being black, it disappears and is inconspicuous which I like.  All I care is that I hate running towards the table when the side is over...that takes away from the experience.  The Q-up let's met chill and absorb the whole thing.  I decide when I go to the table to flip the record :)

I don't know what kind of modification would be needed. It can't be height as that is truly adjustable. There are multiple slots throughout the Q-up housing in addition to the three separate base blocks for height adjustment. You can see the slots in the first pic actually.

Ok here you go...too many steps to take pictures and upload them with a proper camera. iPhone pics in low light really suck...

You can see the Nighthawk in the right of the full table pic. I can't believe I re-bought it! Never thought I would miss it so much :)

dsc2219d.jpg

dsc2220b.jpg

dsc2221w.jpg

Here is the Nighthawk sitting on the EAR 324 phono stage...can you believe how small that Nighthawk phono is...crazy. You won't believe how large the sound is that the Nighthawk throws.

dsc2222y.jpg

Actually i read through the mod once before and I believe the issue was the height and needing to shave it down in order to fit. Oh well, if Im wrong, you can read about it on their website

I've heard that they do the job. I found this small company that has something similar ...

http://www.wiplastics.com/page05.html

I recall people saying that they're a little more expensive, but I think they look a little cooler. For some reason I really dislike the aesthetics of the Q-up ... which is fairly shallow of me, but I don't really care.

Emailed the guy who makes the levitator and its $90ppd for those in the US

Actually i read through the mod once before and I believe the issue was the height and needing to shave it down in order to fit. Oh well, if Im wrong, you can read about it on their website

You are not wrong at all... I just read up on it where guy with the stock Project Debut III bought the Q-up and it was 2mm taller than needed.  He just adjusted/shaved it a bit and made it work.  Apparently, the manufacturer is aware of it and was/is working on a solution.  Maybe it is already fixed in the new batch.  With those multiple slots in the housing (as seen in the first picture I posted, I can't imagine a table it WON'T work with...maybe that was the solution). 

Either way, I'm quite happy with it.  I just got off the phone with the Levitator guy who runs the Plastics business.  He does this as a hobby and was filling a market need before these lifters came into the market.  I might buy his piece as well for another turntable I have.

Not bought yet...however, I've just brought home a Jadis DPMC Phonostage on loan from a Dealer.  Such beauty and romance with this piece!

jadis_DPMC_1.jpg

Giving it a run through.  I think it is absolutely stunning on Classical and Jazz.  I played some Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar and it didn't seem to fare too well.  It softens sound and rounds the transients a bit.  The dynamic kick and crunch is lacking.  However, the way it renders horn instruments, brass pieces, piano, strings is sublime!  It surpasses the Ray Samuels Nighthawk readily in that regard.  More or less equals the EAR 324.  Bloomy piece...but I'm falling for it...damn it.  A huge chunk of my collection is Jazz, Singer/songwriter.  It shines here!  I might keep the piece...playing Damien Rice vinyl right now, the one he did at Amoeba. Fuck me.  EDIT:  More listening...hearing lots of tones, overtones and stupendous harmonics. MAJOR TONALITY.

How does the nighthawk fair with differnt types of music?

Here is my review I did a while back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/483528/review-ray-samuels-audio-f-117-nighthawk-phono-stage

Here is another review another guy did:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/479974/my-review-rsa-f-117-nighthawk-phono-stage

Awesome reviews!

But, how does it perform with metal/hardcore/punk music?

You will fall in love with it.  The Nighthawk is super fast, clean and quick.  Bass is to die for and punchy.  The sound is very very big.  I think, you can't do better than the Nighthawk till the $3000 mark.  

Thanks, yeah I went to a audio dealer here and auditioned a octave phono preamp way out of my price range, but he had to show it off. It did real good with blues, singer song writer, and jazz. But them he put on Pink Floyd and the it fell apart, too much stuff going on in the music I guess. He took that off pretty quick, lol. Pretty funny to see actually.

Thanks, yeah I went to a audio dealer here and auditioned a octave phono preamp way out of my price range, but he had to show it off. It did real good with blues, singer song writer, and jazz. But them he put on Pink Floyd and the it fell apart, too much stuff going on in the music I guess. He took that off pretty quick, lol. Pretty funny to see actually.

That kinda sounds like what this Jadis piece I have on loan is doing.  I listen to ALOT of jazz, so the Jadis does have it's hooks into me...I'm just thinking if I can pull it off...I bought a LOT of stuff in a short period of time, so I'm trying to be careful here.  PLUS, what the fuck am I doing with 4 phono stages?! (If I get the Jadis as well).

YOU, should get the Nighthawk....that's easily an end game phono that I can live with if I didn't have anything else.

You will fall in love with it.  The Nighthawk is super fast, clean and quick.  Bass is to die for and punchy.  The sound is very very big.  I think, you can't do better than the Nighthawk till the $3000 mark.  

Up to $3000? That's a pretty weighted statement. An Audio Research LP1 sells for just over $2k and Iwould guess it would best the Nighthawk. But I haven't heard it, so I can't say!

Up to $3000? That's a pretty weighted statement. An Audio Research LP1 sells for just over $2k and Iwould guess it would best the Nighthawk. But I haven't heard it, so I can't say!

I'm being conservative with the $3000 mark.  You should read this review from Enjoy the Music:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0410/ray_samuels_f_117_nighthawk.htm

The Nighthawk plays with the Heavyweights of the phono amplification world.  That's what makes it such a damn nice piece.

Out of the 4 phono stages I own, one is $6095 (EAR 324), another is $5700 (Einstein "The Turntables Choice"), and I've owned NUMEROUS others before that.  Here is a list of phono stages I've gone through:

Manley Steelhead ($8000)

FM Acoustics FM 122 MKII ($12000)

EAR 324 ($6095)

Nagra PL-P ($9500)

Audio Research PH-7 ($5995)

Aesthetix Rhea ($4000)

Whest PS.30R ($3500)

EDIT:  Having heard and owned these for lengthy periods of time in my OWN system, yes I maintain that the Nighthawk is an amazing phono for the price.  I guess it is a weighted statement as it is a statement through personal experience.  Not an online review, not hearsay, not a demo in an unfamiliar system.

Since you have three (maybe four) phono stages you could just sell me that nighthawk for cheap, lol.

I kid, I kid.

Well, unless you will sell it. :D

I would, but I just re-bought it myself as I like it so much...it's pretty cheap, or I should say, excellent value even at retail Octave.  I'd just look around for a used one OR just buy it at retail.  Not that much more.