What's your latest purchase?

1 hour ago, jeromium said:

I just bought this Kenwood model Eleven II. Seller pic, not my doily.  :P

My girlfriend and I split and she's keeping our receiver, I'm keeping the speakers. The turntable was hers so she's taking that. Now I just need to decide on a new turntable. 

s-l1600.jpg

I have a Kenwood receiver that is very similar, but not the same model. How many watts is it? I think mine is 35x2. It's in a bedroom closet somewhere. I'll have to look and see what model # it is.

Nice, by the way!

Edit: sorry to hear of you and your GF. Hope you save some cash and find a great turntable.

Edited by vinyl addict

On 25/03/2017 at 11:27 PM, xxmartinxx said:

I recently bought a Rogue Cronus Magnum II after seemingly ill considered foray into solid state.  I'm not 100% sold on the Cronus.  

rogue1_1.jpg

What don't you like?

Is it new? and if so let it burn in for a good while before reserving judgement

A little valve swapping might help though, if it were mine I'd be swapping those JJ AX and AU7's out for something better

Pretty poor picture I know but yesterday I picked up a few bits in a 2nd hand shop in the next town along the coast from me.

An Armstrong 621 amplifier and 623 tuner from the 60's, a Pioneer SX-650 Receiver and a Sony TA-2650 amplifier.

All of it is very grubby so is going to need a lot of cleaning but the only fault with any of it is the phono stage in the Armstrong is down on one channel, could be switching or could be a dry joint as these suffered a lot from that but it won't be a lot.

I very rarely see anything in these sorts of places now as everything seems to end up on ebay or people want silly money for utter rubbish so I was quite pleased I agreed to out with she who should be obeyed.

DSCF0132_zpswsk8rxzv.jpg

12 hours ago, allenh said:

What don't you like?

Is it new? and if so let it burn in for a good while before reserving judgement

A little valve swapping might help though, if it were mine I'd be swapping those JJ AX and AU7's out for something better

I just don't impress me as much as I was hoping.  The fact it uses preamp tubes I can swap all day drives me insane, because I spend more time messing with the tubes than listening to music.  That's one of the reasons I bought the ARC VSi55.  There are almost no choices when it comes to 6N1P.  

I've settled on NOS Mullard ECC83's.  The JJ's 12AU7's sound better than the NOS I've tried.  The NOS I tried were too thick sounding, making it feel slow and killed the dynamics.  

On 3/24/2017 at 7:24 PM, vinyl addict said:

I have a Kenwood receiver that is very similar, but not the same model. How many watts is it? I think mine is 35x2. It's in a bedroom closet somewhere. I'll have to look and see what model # it is.

Nice, by the way!

Edit: sorry to hear of you and your GF. Hope you save some cash and find a great turntable.

This one is 80w per channel - the Sansui it's replacing was 35w.

And thanks - it's gonna be ok, just my home and comfort zone flipped upside down! :lol:  But it's amicable. And I picked up a new TT this weekend! A white Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB. Listening now and very pleased with it so far. I've played 4 records on it since getting it Saturday and each has sounded fantastic. 

w1y992.jpg

22 hours ago, xxmartinxx said:

I just don't impress me as much as I was hoping.  The fact it uses preamp tubes I can swap all day drives me insane, because I spend more time messing with the tubes than listening to music.  That's one of the reasons I bought the ARC VSi55.  There are almost no choices when it comes to 6N1P.  

I've settled on NOS Mullard ECC83's.  The JJ's 12AU7's sound better than the NOS I've tried.  The NOS I tried were too thick sounding, making it feel slow and killed the dynamics.  

Have you tried the modern Mullard copies? I've tried them in a few things and they don't sound good in all of them but they are cheap enough to have a go with as are the modern Tung Sol copies.

And on the 6N1P's if you look around Russian sources there are more choices than you think. I use a lot of them in my various projects as they're a versatile valve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 6:14 PM, kannibal said:

Keeping thing going, I just ordered new mono power amps to replace my Adcom bottleneck in my system. 

Odyssey -Stratos monos heavily modded and upgraded. Had an awesome experience on the phone with the owner discussing his products and gave the green light. Very excited. It will be awhile before I'll get to hear them due to the 8 week build time.  I'll be counting the days.

I'm a week in on my Odyssey amps and I can't say enough positive things. They have spent the last week breaking in and getting used to the other components in my system. The mids are coming alive, the highs are mellowing and the bass. I didn't realize just how bad (relatively) my ADCOM was handling the bass. But these new amps are killing it. They still have some break in time, but I love them so far and can't wait to hear where they end up. 

Check out Odysseyaudio.com. Klaus is awesome. Can't recommend them enough.

13 hours ago, jeromium said:

Just ordered some Bose PS-06 speaker pedestals for my AR-4x speakers. Hopefully the platform is not too large. 

51xlmV3lGtL._SL1000_.jpg

Oooh look now Bose even make big ear trumpets for their more sonically challenged clientèle, you wouldn't think there would be a big enough market but with all those Sunday supplement readers I suppose being deaf is a pre requirement to liking the Bose sound.

10 hours ago, allenh said:

Oooh look now Bose even make big ear trumpets for their more sonically challenged clientèle, you wouldn't think there would be a big enough market but with all those Sunday supplement readers I suppose being deaf is a pre requirement to liking the Bose sound.

Not sure what you're getting at, these are just speaker stands and they're a vintage design. Nothing new. :unsure:

12 hours ago, jeromium said:

Not sure what you're getting at, these are just speaker stands and they're a vintage design. Nothing new. :unsure:

The first thing that came into my head when I saw them was that they looked like big ear trumpets which I thought was apposite for Bose nothing more.

10 hours ago, kannibal said:

He was probably drunk and looking for something to put up his "arse" and liked what he saw. 

Unfortunately the sun wasn't over the yard arm so no alcohol was indulged in at that time.

Also the dimensions of said ear trumpets are too great as I have a rather small arse, they would of course do as somewhere to rest my elbow.

5 hours ago, allenh said:

Unfortunately the sun wasn't over the yard arm so no alcohol was indulged in at that time.

Also the dimensions of said ear trumpets are too great as I have a rather small arse, they would of course do as somewhere to rest my elbow.

It appears I have misjudged the situation, then. My apologies.

Well...technically my latest purchase is a Speed Box S. Was browsing in Cambridge yesterday & found a sweet little audio shop that had one in stock. Unfortunately I made a goddamned rookie mistake & forgot to actually check the voltage on my table before I left home, so when I asked the guy at the store if it would work on my Debut Carbon, he said "absolutely" & I dropped $138 after stupid MA sales tax, only to discover this morning that I have the 15vDC model not the 16vAC version? Needless to say, I now have a brand-new-but-useless Speed Box sitting on my desk.

• 4 weeks later...

Sold my B&W CM10s in order to pay off the last of my credit cards a few weeks ago. :( 

Picked up a cheap open box pair of DefTech BP-9020 towers just to have something to listen to -- but I'm surprised at how much I really like these speakers after breaking them in.  Obvious difference is a substantial trade off of high end for low end on these new speakers, but they honestly sound very nice for music and great for movies/tv.  For my plebeian ears, I find them to be quite enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...