What's your latest purchase?

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

24078203918_0eee6bec04_c.jpg

Not a purchase, but one of my neighbors was cleaning out his garage a few weeks ago and was going to recycle this poor guy. He said he didn't even know if it turned on anymore or not and had been sitting for the last few years.  It powered on fine, the pots and contacts needed some cleaning (had an issue with one channel on the aux input and crackly volume knob), but even with my limited knowledge of maintaining electronics, I got it up and running 100% now outside of the balance knob being physically broken off and missing

From my understanding I think the 2238 is a "nothing special" type of marantz from its era, but it sounds fantastic and is powering my def tech towers beautifully. Even with the volume dialed at 8:30, the speakers are comfortably loud :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not a vinyl related purchase, but I recently picked up an Apple TV 4k to go with the Samsung 4k HDR set I bought last fall.

At time of purchase, I didn't even know that Apple was giving out freebee 4k versions of any movie you currently have in your library (most of mine were just from free digital download codes) so that was a really nice bonus.

Over the weekend I watched Deadpool, The Martian, and Stranger Things Season 2 in 4k HDR and have to admit that it REALLY takes some getting used to.  Instead of watching a movie, it's just like watching people walking around. EDIT:  I actually fixed this by turning off Auto Motion.  Either this wasn't kicking in regular HD content or it wasn't as noticeable. 

Edited by Tardcore

13 hours ago, MyckelJay said:

Ya boy just bought a silver AT LP60 turntable for $3 at the thrift store. They said in powers on, but it just hums and doesn't turn. The belt slipped loose... The freaking belt, man. A one-minute fix. 

So did you drop in the trash after wasting $3 on it?

20 hours ago, MyckelJay said:

Why would I do that? Electronics get recycled. Have some respect for the environment, man.

Whatever man, that turntable is a piece of shit. Don't use it on your records. 

Place it in the nearest recycling bin.  That was $3 you could have used towards your next colored vinyl purchase.

Edited by vinyl addict

2 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Whatever man, that turntable is a piece of shit. Don't use it on your records. 

Place it in the nearest recycling bin.  That was $3 you could have used towards your next colored vinyl purchase.

It's not even bad. I'm using my Fisher still. And why colored vinyl?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 12:36 PM, Tardcore said:

Not a vinyl related purchase, but I recently picked up an Apple TV 4k to go with the Samsung 4k HDR set I bought last fall.

At time of purchase, I didn't even know that Apple was giving out freebee 4k versions of any movie you currently have in your library (most of mine were just from free digital download codes) so that was a really nice bonus.

Over the weekend I watched Deadpool, The Martian, and Stranger Things Season 2 in 4k HDR and have to admit that it REALLY takes some getting used to.  Instead of watching a movie, it's just like watching people walking around. EDIT:  I actually fixed this by turning off Auto Motion.  Either this wasn't kicking in regular HD content or it wasn't as noticeable. 

I hate the "soap opera" effect. I don't understand why TVs have it on by default, it looks so bad.

Got a Grado Green, headhsell and a "resonance cap" fro my 1200 from KAB. The Audio-Technica warehouse sale is in 2 weeks, so hopefully I can find some cheap AT440mlb replacement styli, or maybe one of the new ones that replaced it.

Edited by Thomas³

Not a new purchase i know but anybody in the UK looking for cheap gear Richer sounds have a couple of good starter bits for no money.

https://www.richersounds.com/promotions/black-friday-hi-fi-speakers/wharfedale-9-0-black.html

https://www.richersounds.com/promotions/blackfriday-hifi-separates/cambridge-topaz-am1-blk.html

12 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

People seem to love or hate them. I love them.

True but the hate tends to be down to a lack of perseverance.

4 hours ago, kannibal said:

Burn

Not really and no offense intended but I couldn't resist.

In defense of all those who struggle with them they can be a bugger to set up and are quite arm fussy but when they are right they really sing, they get an unfounded bad press for IGD which is down to generally down to bad setup. Old Joseph knew a thing or two on the subject but unfortunately like all genius there was his way or the wrong way as far as he was concerned.