What's your latest purchase?

My Technics headshell is perfectly fine, so I'm not sure I want to mess with it.... but I might.

Edit: I got it pretty much straight now. Took it out and twisted it to the right as I tightened it down. Hopefully it does not slow move over.

Edit 2: Any suggestions for jumping into the MC stuff? The AT warehouse sale is this weekend, so maybe if they have one cheap i'll grab it. If not, an AT440mlb a stylus (or the new one that replaced it) will work.

Edited by Thomas³

0yHiJo4.jpg

The Audio-Technica warehouse sale started today. This was my hall for $133.33. Really wanted another AT440mlb, or a replacement stylus, but they didn't have any or were sold in the 30 minutes before I got there. They did have a stylus for the replacement ATVMN40ML, but it was $180. I can buy the at440mlb stylus for cheaper online.

Allen, have you ever heard the paratrace stylus that The Audio Files in the UK make for the AT95e

Edited by Thomas³

14 minutes ago, Billich0986 said:

Got the HD6XX in from Massdrop. I will be pretty much only using it with my computer and wanted to give it a shot without buying an amp and dac. Definitely lacking the punch I was expecting. Ordered a Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2. Excited to hear what these sound like when they're properly powered.

The HD6XX (and the HD600 and HD650 for that matter) are around 300 ohm, meaning they won't sound very good plugged directly into any source. Good call on the Magni 3 Modi 2 combo - incredible value/quality for the cost, and if you don't like them/want to upgrade, Schiit products retain most of their value on the secondary market, far more than just about any other brand I've seen.

18 hours ago, Smellman said:

I've read tons of good reviews of this cartridge and figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm not really digging my 2M Red and was looking for something "warmer".

517NZMMN6cL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY500_SX500_.jp

A good choice I believe.

I have a 2m black and it is so good almost too liner. When you listen to productions of today it was like to listen to a CD. In that regard that it were almost boring and sterile.. to buy a new tip is rather expensive. So I bought the mp110 like you. And installed it yesterday. After hearing allot of good things about it.

I may need to do some more adjustments. But the good news were that it is better at voices and they get more presence and it is little more musicality somehow. Hard to describe..

Good luck with setting it up. And it will for sure be a upgrade for you. Let us hear from what is your thoughts after a while!

3 minutes ago, lastvaultboy said:

@allenh - wondering if you could give me an idea on grounding issues!

I've been trying to eliminate the hum that I've had on my system (and previous ones) but it's not going well. Any advice you can offer? I was looking at a grounding box otherwise but those things a pricey.

I had hum (or maybe it is confused with grounding).

With 2 different riia amp:s. And it turned out that there where no issues with them..

But that all issues disappeared when I replaced the RCA cable from the TT. The original Thorens where unshielded. Desoldered the old one and put a triple shielded one. And the issues where history since then.

The signals from the cartridge is low and easy to disturb. :)

Good luck and happy holidays!

6 minutes ago, VinylPlayer said:

I had hum (or maybe it is confused with grounding).

With 2 different riia amp:s. And it turned out that there where no issues with them..

But that all issues disappeared when I replaced the RCA cable from the TT. The original Thorens where unshielded. Desoldered the old one and put a triple shielded one. And the issues where history since then.

The signals from the cartridge is low and easy to disturb. :)

Good luck and happy holidays!

Thanks for that - I'll look at the Rega cable and see what's what.

Merry Christmas!

19 hours ago, lastvaultboy said:

@allenh - wondering if you could give me an idea on grounding issues!

I've been trying to eliminate the hum that I've had on my system (and previous ones) but it's not going well. Any advice you can offer? I was looking at a grounding box otherwise but those things a pricey.

Usually it will be the turntable and will be a bad ground and it's only really a big problem to fix if it's the wire inside the arm.

But have you isolated it to where the hum is coming from? i.e is it the turntable, phono stage or amplifier?

And if it is the turntable is it worse or better when you touch the tonearm?

And does it get worse or better as the cartridge tracks toward the centre of the record?

2 hours ago, allenh said:

Usually it will be the turntable and will be a bad ground and it's only really a big problem to fix if it's the wire inside the arm.

But have you isolated it to where the hum is coming from? i.e is it the turntable, phono stage or amplifier?

And if it is the turntable is it worse or better when you touch the tonearm?

And does it get worse or better as the cartridge tracks toward the centre of the record?

I believe it's either the TT or the preamp. The amp itself when having digital music through it is fine - no hum. I'll touch the tonearm when I'm back and see what happens. Don't believe there is any difference when tracking to the centre. 

6 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Not really, but I do like to hear how difference cartridges affect sound. If I had more money, I'd probably be blowing it on MC stuff instead.

Yee I read little about the grado black 2. And it looks promising. It is also like the nagaoka mp-110 a MI cartridge (yes it is hard to find out the type because they have several different names for the same "type"). 

And like the sound Smith that is a better way to go than MM. And how the two cartridges perform I am almost willing to believe that. 

The grado black 2 has not so many YouTube videos and it is a pretty new cartridge.

So I am very interested to hear from you what you think of the cartridge.

Happy listening!

Just setting up a little system for my home office. Ended up with a Pro Ject VT-E turntable, Bellari VP129 tube phono stage, Sennheiser Momentum headphones and a HCT HMS-100 amp & speaker (Vuum VTI-B1 by any other name). More or less all purchased due to getting deals on eBay. All things considered, not a bad setup for under 400$.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:27 AM, Kujako said:

Just setting up a little system for my home office. Ended up with a Pro Ject VT-E turntable, Bellari VP129 tube phono stage, Sennheiser Momentum headphones and a HCT HMS-100 amp & speaker (Vuum VTI-B1 by any other name). More or less all purchased due to getting deals on eBay. All things considered, not a bad setup for under 400$.

how the hell did you get all of that through eBay for $400?! that’s crazy 

1 hour ago, ethereal said:

how the hell did you get all of that through eBay for $400?! that’s crazy 

My eBay-fu is strong! Everything was used other than the turntable, which was "new" but an open box and thus the most expensive at around 175$ (which for a new Pro Ject was too good to pass up). Looking at it all again, I think I was a bit over 400$ in the end. Wasn't counting the Sennheiser headphones in that number. But those were under 40$ (granted I needed to buy a new cable for them which pushed it to a bit over 50$). The HMS-100 amp and speakers even has the iPod dock, so I can run all my digital stuff through it!