What's your latest purchase?

Haha, there's a used one up for sale. I just wanted to get my new scout first, then I have a print I need to frame(same price as the nighthawk). So might switch the priorities around a little bit.

They come up for sale every now and then...I'll keep an eye out for you.  If I see one used available, I will send you a message.  A good used price is between $500 and $600.

I'm being conservative with the $3000 mark.  You should read this review from Enjoy the Music:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0410/ray_samuels_f_117_nighthawk.htm

The Nighthawk plays with the Heavyweights of the phono amplification world.  That's what makes it such a damn nice piece.

Out of the 4 phono stages I own, one is $6095 (EAR 324), another is $5700 (Einstein "The Turntables Choice"), and I've owned NUMEROUS others before that.  Here is a list of phono stages I've gone through:

Manley Steelhead ($8000)[/size]FM Acoustics FM 122 MKII ($12000)[/size]EAR 324 ($6095)[/size]Nagra PL-P ($9500)[/size]Audio Research PH-7 ($5995)[/size]Aesthetix Rhea ($4000)[/size]Whest PS.30R ($3500)[/size]

EDIT:  Having heard and owned these for lengthy periods of time in my OWN system, yes I maintain that the Nighthawk is an amazing phono for the price.  I guess it is a weighted statement as it is a statement through personal experience.  Not an online review, not hearsay, not a demo in an unfamiliar system.[/size]

I'd much rather chat with you than read the review, to be honest!

I'm curious on your thoughts of the Nagra, Manley (I've used both companies in different forms in engineering/mastering), and the Audio Research (I'm very familiar with the PH6). Not long thoughts though, seriously. I'm not trying to take up your time.

I'd much rather chat with you than read the review, to be honest!

I'm curious on your thoughts of the Nagra, Manley (I've used both companies in different forms in engineering/mastering), and the Audio Research (I'm very familiar with the PH6). Not long thoughts though, seriously. I'm not trying to take up your time.

No problem.  PM me anytime.  Thanks!

Decided to upgrade my entire system a little bit. Most of my components before were old, hand-me downs that sounded ok, but have wanted to pick up some new gear for the longest time. Finally did it.

Pro-ject Debut Carbon (black) ($351, shipped)

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Stereo Amplifier ($329, shipped)

Polk 75t floorstanding speakers (x2) ($400 for the pair, shipped)

Polk 45b bookshelf speakers (x2) ($180 for the pair, shipped)

Polk PSW10 subwoofer ($100, shipped)

6x Super Soundproofing 3x3 inch vibration pads (I'm building another shelf for my component stand to put the Pro-ject on with these vibration pads to absorb the sub frequencies and vibrations) ($27 shipped)

Next up:

Pro-ject Acryl-it Platter

Pro-ject Speed Box S (black)

Grado SR-80i headphones

Blue jeans cables

Thinking about:

Apple Airport Express & a DAC around $250 or $300 so that I can listen to my FLAC collection on my iMac wirelessly through this same setup

I can't wait to listen to my collection with this set-up. I'll take pictures when I'm done with it. Any suggestions or advice are always welcome!

To be honest I like having variety. I grew up always having more than one pair of speakers in my system. The Yamaha A-S500 has the standard A/B/Both speaker selection so I can choose whichever pair I want or combine them. I chose the subwoofer for extra low end if necessary. I like the options :)

Just bought a Audio-Technica AT-LP120 I've been hearing a few good things about this turntable as well as a few negative things, anybody use this turntable?

Also what are a few necessary upgrades for this turntable, I'm not much of an audiophile but I want the best as far as reliability and longevity goes.

I was given a Stanton str8-150 for the holidays from my parents. I know its more of a dj turntable but who am I to complain with free? Its real nice. I rescued my parents old stereo system (a JVC receiver and a set of Bose speakers). The speakers were stacked under a pile in the corner of the garage so they sound fantastic and I've put them to good use. Whats funny is when I unwrapped this heavy turntable the Stanton my mother starts saying something like "they were out of the one you wanted but this one cost more". I just smiled and told her this is more than enough when I hinted I wanted to upgrade my turntable I meant like the Sony at Best Buy. Heres the speakers.

2rmmrlw.jpg  inside the top 3d921.jpg

Just bought a Audio-Technica AT-LP120 I've been hearing a few good things about this turntable as well as a few negative things, anybody use this turntable?

Also what are a few necessary upgrades for this turntable, I'm not much of an audiophile but I want the best as far as reliability and longevity goes.

The only necessary upgrade is getting a new table. This type of table isn't worth investing in upgrades.

Recently purchased a Tascam RW900SL for playing and recordings cd's.  But more importantly finally got a stand for my equipment.  Chose a $35 Besta cabinet from Ikea and added a $5 glass shelf.   Because of the connections I left the back panel off and purchase a set of corner brackets from True Value.  Rock solid and measures 26 x 15 x 16.     

100_3719_zps9d00fcd1.jpg

Decided to upgrade my entire system a little bit. Most of my components before were old, hand-me downs that sounded ok, but have wanted to pick up some new gear for the longest time. Finally did it.

Pro-ject Debut Carbon (black) ($351, shipped)

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Stereo Amplifier ($329, shipped)

Polk 75t floorstanding speakers (x2) ($400 for the pair, shipped)

Polk 45b bookshelf speakers (x2) ($180 for the pair, shipped)

Polk PSW10 subwoofer ($100, shipped)

6x Super Soundproofing 3x3 inch vibration pads (I'm building another shelf for my component stand to put the Pro-ject on with these vibration pads to absorb the sub frequencies and vibrations) ($27 shipped)

Next up:

Pro-ject Acryl-it Platter

Pro-ject Speed Box S (black)

Grado SR-80i headphones

Blue jeans cables

Thinking about:

Apple Airport Express & a DAC around $250 or $300 so that I can listen to my FLAC collection on my iMac wirelessly through this same setup

I can't wait to listen to my collection with this set-up. I'll take pictures when I'm done with it. Any suggestions or advice are always welcome!

where did you get the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for that price if you don't mind my asking? Currently in the market for one and waiting til some of the online places have it in stock.

where did you get the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for that price if you don't mind my asking? Currently in the market for one and waiting til some of the online places have it in stock.

Insound usually issues a 15% off code at the beginning of every month. Also musicians Friend has a 14% off coupon if you order today. Plus free shipping.

Are these the pads you got? http://www.supersoundproofingsales.com/products.asp?dept=25 I've been looking for something to isolate my speakers from the floor in our apartment (concrete). Would you say these are a pretty good solution?

Insound usually issues a 15% off code at the beginning of every month. Also musicians Friend has a 14% off coupon if you order today. Plus free shipping.

Yep, got mine from musicians friend when they were doing the 12% off...They had the best shipping time when I purchased mine. It's supposed to ship April 8th. I really wanted the Piano black color...

Are these the pads you got? http://www.supersoundproofingsales.com/products.asp?dept=25 I've been looking for something to isolate my speakers from the floor in our apartment (concrete). Would you say these are a pretty good solution?

Yes, I recently cut a square piece of wood and stained it to match my component stand and then attached these pads to the bottom of it. They seem to be doing the trick! I haven't experienced any sub frequencies coming through and I find myself less worried about walking in my office (where my stereo is) causing vibrations while listening :) these are definitely a great deal for the price.

Always wondered if Pro-Ject got the Mickey Mouse designs from scheu.

Pro-Ject makes some nice tables!  The RPM series and Classic Line are fabulous.  The reason I went with the Scheu is for that amazing bearing they use.  It is a work of art and will probably outlast me.

premier-setupb8b.jpg

Just purchased a Scheu Premier III with a 80mm platter. Will be using it with a Schroeder Model 2 tonearm and Jan Allaerts MC1B cartridge.

Future plans include using 3 tonearms on this table with different phono stages to change the flavor up!

P1010816.jpg

Holy crap! You must have an amazing HiFi store where you live.....

Holy crap! You must have an amazing HiFi store where you live.....

I'm in Southern California.  There are a few good HiFi stores STILL left here (most have closed shop), but this particular table was purchased from out of state.  My particular table will be getting mailed out Monday or Tuesday according to the dealer I bought it from.  The picture above is NOT my setup.  It's just a generic picture from google images...

A new toy I've been playing with for a couple of weeks now:

dsc04595.jpg

dsc04606.jpg

dsc04608.jpg

Clearaudio Solution with a Clearaudio OEM RB300 tonearm, directwired with Clearaudio Sixstream cable.

I've added a Grado Prestige Silver to keep me going while I search for a solid MC phono/cart combo.

dsc04597.jpg

Also had a custom acrylic cover made, because, well, cats...

dsc04612.jpg

dsc04613.jpg