What's your latest purchase?

My custom Thorens TD-160 Super from Vinyl Nirvana finally arrived last Friday, and I spent most of the weekend doing nothing but listening to records. I'm very pleased. Sorry for the crappy quality of the photo; I snapped it quickly this morning in pretty low light.

vFK8jTn.jpg

Edited by BitLess

12 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I hate you. I really want a 160, but I can't swing the cost. What'd it run you?

Edit: What Denon cart are you running on it?

Including the cartridge and shipping, it set me back just shy of $2,000. Certainly the most I've ever spent on a single piece of audio equipment, but I have no regrets.

The cartridge is a DL-103R. I was a little nervous about making the switch to a Moving Coil, as I had no experience with them, but I have a phono stage that can easily handle low-output MC carts, and I read that the 103R was a great match for the Jelco SA-750D tonearm.

Expensive as hell, but I'm sure it's worth it. VN does a good job fixing those table to be better than new. I've never used a MC either, the non-replacable stylus has always put me off. That's supposed to be a brilliant cart, even though it is a conical stylus (iirc). I might be thinking of the 301 though, one was the main broadcast cartridge by Japanese radio stations forever.

No, it's the 103 that you're thinking of. It does have a conical stylus, but you would never know it with how much detail and tight bass it pulls out of the grooves. The non-replaceable stylus is what has always kept me away from MC carts as well, but the 103R is so reasonably priced for its performance. I was debating between the 103R and a 2M Bronze, but replacing the stylus alone on the Bronze would cost more than the 103R. Plus, I know a lot of people get their 103Rs re-tipped with better styluses; so that's always an upgrade option.

The Grado cart I ordered off organ donor parts finally showed up. I think it's a black with a snapped off stylus. They sure don't make the stylus easy to remove on Grados. Ordering an 8MZ stylus tonight, and a spare headshell to mount it on. 

Edit: Should I toss the black body and track down a gold for the 8MZ?

Edit 2: Order the 8MZ stylus and a ADC headshell.

Edited by Thomas³

Recently picked up an SPL Creon, as I needed an interface for toying around with FL Studio, and this thing blew me away in terms of sound quality. The DAC inside of it is really impressive, and the headphone amp is heaps better than I expected. For the price (paid about $420 as they're currently on sale in EU) I got way more than I though I would. So much so that I'm discontinuing my search for a separate DAC, which has been going on for about a year now. At least for a while.

dsc03353.jpg

Edited by slinch

On 17/06/2016 at 11:41 AM, ryantark said:

Still happy with the platter. I had to mod it with some LEDs and just upgraded my stylus from 2M Red to Blue. Starting supposed break in period. 

1A29730E-E6D5-4405-A5C9-7729624DC652_zps

What LED's did you use for this?  It looks great, and I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

What would you consider a good price for a used Rega Brio-R?  I have heard nothing but great things, and there is one available locally.  Asking price is $700 CAD (I am in Canada, and all audio equipment is RIDICULOUSLY expensive), so I think I will offer $500 ($400USD), and see what they say.

This is tough...I can get a brand new Cambridge 351A for $390.  I wish i could listen to all these with my setup before buying.

Edit:  Sorry, this might belong in a different thread...but it could be a "latest purchase" in the near future.

Edited by parkinglot

43 minutes ago, parkinglot said:

What would you consider a good price for a used Rega Brio-R?  I have heard nothing but great things, and there is one available locally.  Asking price is $700 CAD (I am in Canada, and all audio equipment is RIDICULOUSLY expensive), so I think I will offer $500 ($400USD), and see what they say.

Edit:  Sorry, this might belong in a different thread...but it could be a "latest purchase" in the near future.

There's one for sale on Audiogon for $575 US.  No clue what that is in Canadbucks.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-rega-brio-r-excellent-2016-08-11-integrateds-t6x0w3

Edited by Tardcore

1 minute ago, Tardcore said:

That't the exact one I'm looking at.  He has it listed at $675 on Canuck Audio Mart, so I'm guessing that $575 is USD.

1 hour ago, parkinglot said:

What LED's did you use for this?  It looks great, and I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

Here you go

Led Strip,Topmax, 5050 16.4ft/5m Led Strip Lights,RGB Led Strips Lighting Kit +44 Key Remote+12V 3A US Charger (built-in IC and fuse) Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BY7GMEK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6zITxbAN4T9KA

4 minutes ago, ryantark said:

Here you go

Led Strip,Topmax, 5050 16.4ft/5m Led Strip Lights,RGB Led Strips Lighting Kit +44 Key Remote+12V 3A US Charger (built-in IC and fuse) Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BY7GMEK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6zITxbAN4T9KA

Perfect!  I literally just ordered the same one from Amazon.ca

Thanks.

One last question before I commit to the Brio-R. It will power my Wharfedale Diamond 220's fine, right?  Their sensitivity is 86dB.  I only ask because the seller says he is upgrading to an Elicit-R because he needs them to power his new KEF LS50's, and their sensitivity is 85dB.  

45 minutes ago, parkinglot said:

One last question before I commit to the Brio-R. It will power my Wharfedale Diamond 220's fine, right?  Their sensitivity is 86dB.  I only ask because the seller says he is upgrading to an Elicit-R because he needs them to power his new KEF LS50's, and their sensitivity is 85dB.  

http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

This review seems to think they work together.

45 minutes ago, parkinglot said:

http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

This review seems to think they work together.