What's your latest purchase?

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought this today to (hopefully) retire my Eico ST-40:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200927189276?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This ended up not working out with my speakers, so I sold it and bought one of these:

Bewitch%20%284%29.jpg

There are a few different companies that rename this amp and sell it for a lot more money (TrueHarmonix, Puresound A30), but they're all the same.

what turntable do you have? is the platter that comes with the pro-ject carbon not good enough?

the Original platter is okay....its bloody heavy thats for sure.........i found the acrylic to be just way more HQ......not shocking improvement on sound at this stage (may need to upgrade speakers) but just seems to be a solid spin.....i was finding a bit of movement up and down from the mat i was using and this just seems to stick the record at a solid level and without much fluctuation......its a bit pricey, but i seem to think its definatley worth the investment....and an easy upgrade to an already killer table

the Original platter is okay....its bloody heavy thats for sure.........i found the acrylic to be just way more HQ......not shocking improvement on sound at this stage (may need to upgrade speakers) but just seems to be a solid spin.....i was finding a bit of movement up and down from the mat i was using and this just seems to stick the record at a solid level and without much fluctuation......its a bit pricey, but i seem to think its definatley worth the investment....and an easy upgrade to an already killer table

how does the platter that the vinyl rests on effect the sound quality? 

but how does the platter in particular effect the sound?

I have only had a quick listen to be honest...... Played iTunes Originals AOF...... Thought it sounded shit house before.... Maybe just a bad press..... Found after using this platter it was definitely producing a clearer sound.... Less muddy for lack of a technical term.......

Rocking a heap of Night Shifts lately so havnt really played around with it as much as i'd like

• 2 weeks later...

100_0633_zps4250a3a2.jpg

Impressions please! :)  What do you think about it?  I really enjoy the sound of this piece...which reminds me!  My friend has borrowed it and I still haven't gotten it back....been over a 3 months now...LOL!

From the angle of the photograph, I THINK you are using the Moving Coil settings.  What cartridge are you using?  How does it compare with what you had?

Did you buy this new or used?  The newest version sounds slightly different as Ray has refined it further.  You should check with him and he can tell you based off the serial number.  From what I know, it's been through 3 internal revisions since release.  Happy listening!

With that said, I also bought some vinyl last night...this is truly my latest purchase that I am MOST MOST excited about.  All bought from Acoustic sounds. They have 10% off all vinyl for July 4th.  I stocked up on some 45rpm vinyl holes in my Jazz collection:

=========================================================================================
PRODUCT INFORMATION:
=========================================================================================

Qty Item Number Price Total Item
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 AJAZ 008 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 John Lee Hooker / Burning Hell
1 AJAZ 1019 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Lightnin' Hopkins / Lightnin'
1 AJAZ 1059 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Sonny Terry / Sonny Is King
1 AJAZ 1106 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Thelonious Monk and Gerry Mulligan / Mulligan Meets Monk
1 AJAZ 15 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Coleman Hawkins / The Hawk Relaxes
1 AMMJ 1517 $ 36.00 $ 36.00 Gil Melle / Patterns In Jazz
1 AMMJ 1524 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Kenny Dorham / 'Round About Midnight At the Cafe Bohemia
1 AMMJ 1526 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Clifford Brown / Memorial Album
1 AMMJ 1536 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 J.R. Monterose / J.R. Monterose
1 AMMJ 1539 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Horace Silver Quintet / 6 Pieces of Silver
1 AMMJ 1557 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Lee Morgan / Volume 3 
1 AMMJ 1573 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 John Jenkins & Kenny Burrell / John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell
1 AMMJ 4001 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Sonny Rollins / Newk's Time
1 AMMJ 4019 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Donald Byrd / Byrd In Hand
1 AMMJ 4024 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Jackie McLean / Swing Swang Swingin'  
1 AMMJ 4040 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Freddie Hubbard / Open Sesame
1 AMMJ 4056 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Freddie Hubbard / Goin' Up
1 AMMJ 4058 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Hank Mobley / Roll Call  
1 AMMJ 4133 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Dexter Gordon / A Swingin' Affair
1 AMMJ 4137 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Jackie McLean / One Step Beyond
1 AMMJ 4165 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Jackie McLean / Destination Out
1 AMMJ 4173 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Wayne Shorter / Night Dreamer
1 AMMJ 4178 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Blue Mitchell / The Thing To Do
1 AMMJ 4183 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Grant Green / Talkin' About!
1 AMMJ 4232 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Wayne Shorter / Adam's Apple
1 AMMJ 4245 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Art Blakey / Like Someone In Love
1 AMMJ 4264 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 McCoy Tyner / The Real McCoy
1 AMMJ 4369 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Elvin Jones / Genesis
1 AMMJ 4431 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Hank Mobley / Another Workout
1 AMMJ 5066 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Hank Mobley Quartet / Hank Mobley Quartet W/Outakes
1 AMMJ 990 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Grant Green / Solid
1 APRJ 7068 $ 27.00 $ 27.00 Jackie McLean / Jackie's Pal
1 APRJ 7117 $ 27.00 $ 27.00 Art Taylor / Taylor's Wailers

1 AMMJ 1518 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Horace Silver and The Jazz Messengers  / Horace Silver And The Jazz Messengers
1 AMMJ 3058 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Grant Green / Gooden's Corner
1 AMMJ 4159 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Andrew Hill /  Judgment!
1 AMMJ 4194 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Wayne Shorter / Speak No Evil
1 AMMJ 4205 $ 45.00 $ 45.00 Pete LaRoca / Basra

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey shaizada:

I bought it new and have had it for about 6 weeks now,I haven't had time to listen to a ton of stuff but I am for the most part, impressed with it so far.I use a Dynavector-DV-20X,on my Scout TT.

I listen to Metal mostly with some Zep.Pink Floyd,and other 90's(Soundgarden,AIC)thrown in.

As I said..it is not great with everything.

Celtic Frost-Morbid Tales sounds absolutely fantastic through the Nighthawk,but Megadeth-Peace sells...I had to turn off after a bit of trying different settings,same with Massacre-From Beyond.

These are original pressings,not reissue lp's.

Dio-Holy Diver,Ratt-Out of the Cellar,Carcass-Necroticism,Sepultura-Arise,all sound fine.

Pink Floyd-WYWH,the 1st US pressing sounds great too along with my AIC stuff and STP-Purple.

I need to get to my Zeppelin lp's...maybe this weekend.

I guess some recordings are more compatible with my set-up than others.

The Nighthawk replaced a Cambridge Audio 640P,which overall sounded pretty nice to me,but I was never blown away by it,and I listened to the CA-640P at a much higher volume than I have to with the Nighthawk.

Any Cart. recommendations?

Sometimes I feel like this forum is the "who gets a bigger paycheck" forum....and that person is not me.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, BUT, this is a hobby that does invoke my excitement and I tend to share SOME of my purchases here (as per topic of the thread!).  I certainly don't share my purchases to prove anything at all really....just my love of music and ways of achieving it maybe.  Sorry you felt that way...as that was not my intention at all. 

Hey shaizada:

I bought it new and have had it for about 6 weeks now,I haven't had time to listen to a ton of stuff but I am for the most part, impressed with it so far.I use a Dynavector-DV-20X,on my Scout TT.

I listen to Metal mostly with some Zep.Pink Floyd,and other 90's(Soundgarden,AIC)thrown in.

As I said..it is not great with everything.

Celtic Frost-Morbid Tales sounds absolutely fantastic through the Nighthawk,but Megadeth-Peace sells...I had to turn off after a bit of trying different settings,same with Massacre-From Beyond.

These are original pressings,not reissue lp's.

Dio-Holy Diver,Ratt-Out of the Cellar,Carcass-Necroticism,Sepultura-Arise,all sound fine.

Pink Floyd-WYWH,the 1st US pressing sounds great too along with my AIC stuff and STP-Purple.

I need to get to my Zeppelin lp's...maybe this weekend.

I guess some recordings are more compatible with my set-up than others.

The Nighthawk replaced a Cambridge Audio 640P,which overall sounded pretty nice to me,but I was never blown away by it,and I listened to the CA-640P at a much higher volume than I have to with the Nighthawk.

Any Cart. recommendations?

Thanks for replying.  6 weeks is hardly getting warmed up for the Nighthawk. A brand new one takes about 100 hours to just settle in and come into it's own.  Give it some playtime...you will see it open up and get much more textural.  Also, if I may recommend, use the second to the highest gain from the Nighthawk while using LESS of your preamp volume control (hope that makes sense).  You will get much more dynamic contrast and color.  Anyhow, it DOES get much better with burn in.

The speed of the NIghthawk is uncanny.  Even the fastest death metal riffs are no big deal for it...it will glide through them!

My recommendation is to wait before deciding on any cartridges.  Let the Nighthawk settle down sonically and then ask again.  Depending on what you are hearing through your setup and budget for the cartridge, I'd love to give some recommendations.  

I would look into Shelter, Ortofon, Lyra and Benz Micro to begin with.  Start reading about the carts and get a feel for how they align with your listening tastes.  With all the metal and rock you mentioned, the Lyra Kleos would be a stellar choice!  You can go with the Delos as well...awesome cartridges MC carts!

The Dynavector 20x is a 2.8mV output which really puts it in the MM territory.  If you really want your rig to shine properly, a low output Moving Coil will bring out the best.  Just the physics of having a lightweight coil moving in a fixed magnetic structure.  It physically reacts MUCH faster and quicker (really needed for the kind of music you listen to) than a Moving Magnet (magnet attached to stylus and moves between fixed coils).  Anyhow, thats just my thoughts and experience on the matter.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, BUT, this is a hobby that does invoke my excitement and I tend to share SOME of my purchases here (as per topic of the thread!).  I certainly don't share my purchases to prove anything at all really....just my love of music and ways of achieving it maybe.  Sorry you felt that way...as that was not my intention at all. 

Thanks for replying.  6 weeks is hardly getting warmed up for the Nighthawk. A brand new one takes about 100 hours to just settle in and come into it's own.  Give it some playtime...you will see it open up and get much more textural.  Also, if I may recommend, use the second to the highest gain from the Nighthawk while using LESS of your preamp volume control (hope that makes sense).  You will get much more dynamic contrast and color.  Anyhow, it DOES get much better with burn in.

The speed of the NIghthawk is uncanny.  Even the fastest death metal riffs are no big deal for it...it will glide through them!

My recommendation is to wait before deciding on any cartridges.  Let the Nighthawk settle down sonically and then ask again.  Depending on what you are hearing through your setup and budget for the cartridge, I'd love to give some recommendations.  

I would look into Shelter, Ortofon, Lyra and Benz Micro to begin with.  Start reading about the carts and get a feel for how they align with your listening tastes.  With all the metal and rock you mentioned, the Lyra Kleos would be a stellar choice!  You can go with the Delos as well...awesome cartridges MC carts!

The Dynavector 20x is a 2.8mV output which really puts it in the MM territory.  If you really want your rig to shine properly, a low output Moving Coil will bring out the best.  Just the physics of having a lightweight coil moving in a fixed magnetic structure.  It physically reacts MUCH faster and quicker (really needed for the kind of music you listen to) than a Moving Magnet (magnet attached to stylus and moves between fixed coils).  Anyhow, thats just my thoughts and experience on the matter.

I was mostly just joking around.  I'm always surprised to see how much money people are dropping on things, wishing I could convince myself spend that kind of money on things when I'm wrestling around spending about only $1k on new equipment(TT, Integrated, Speakers).  Just my jealousy speaking.  Carry on.

I was mostly just joking around.  I'm always surprised to see how much money people are dropping on things, wishing I could convince myself spend that kind of money on things when I'm wrestling around spending about only $1k on new equipment(TT, Integrated, Speakers).  Just my jealousy speaking.  Carry on.

Ahh no issues mate.  Yes, I do put in some money in this hobby, but only if I am not depriving my family of ANYTHING first.  I have a wife and child along with my parents that I support first and foremost.  All this other stuff comes afterwards.  But I completely understand where you are coming from.  Musically, we are all brethren and sharing our passion commonly on these forums.  It's all good.

How have you decided to spend your $1k till now?  Spend most on any form of transducers first. i.e. source and speakers.  I would budget most for source as you can see how things scale up as you care to invest further.  But there are many ways of doing this so keep a look out for good deals and set your goals.  Try and audition as much equipment as you can.  If you were in California, I would have invited you over for a listen.  Cheers!

I've got the vintage bug, bad.

Just won a sx-650 in an auction on shopgoodwill.com, also picked up some Technics sb-cr77 speakers from a yard sale today.  Last week I got a pair of Mirage bookshelf speakers from the early 80s.

This week I'm supposed to go look at an SL-D1 for sale on CL.  I dont know if I want to buy it because I really want to save up to afford a PL-530 or 570.

I also need to get my SX-980 fixed because the left channel is silent.....

Guys, I think I have a problem....

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow)

I currently have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60, which was my reintroduction into turntables.  It has served it's purpose over the past six months and is being sold off to my brother-in-law.  

Now I am shopping for preamps.  My integrated amp doesn't have a phono input, so it's time to do more shopping.