THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

Haha I wasn't going to. I love that album. I wonder if the winner will even pay.

Especially since they usually sell way under that price according to Popsike. But, when you want something, you want it. 

Thank you both for the recommendation... In my buzzed state of my mind, I will now listen to this record in an hour.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221359145000?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I recently got Peter, Bjorn and John - Gimme Some for 99 cents on eBay (fortunately with another auction so shipping was only an extra dollar for the PBJ)

Pretty good deal on a pretty good album.

I've had three copies of You Are My Sunshine pass through my hands. Sold the first two for $50ish and $115, respectively. I cannot believe what people will pay for that. I have a sealed copy now and as bad as I want to open it, I know it'll probably never get repressed and I can just cash in later on.

I've had three copies of You Are My Sunshine pass through my hands. Sold the first two for $50ish and $115, respectively. I cannot believe what people will pay for that. I have a sealed copy now and as bad as I want to open it, I know it'll probably never get repressed and I can just cash in later on.

I can't believe someone gave me a -1 for just stating a fact.

People here lose their minds if they think anyone is ever going to profit off anything, ever.  

Don't try to understand it.

I don't think it has anything to do with profiting.  It's more about the fact that the dude has owned the same record on three separate occasions -- the last of which has resulted in a copy that he's not even going to open or play.  He's holding onto the album solely to flip it... and it's an album that he's clearly not all that crazy about to begin with.  That is what's being frowned upon, more or less.

For clarification, I didn't neg his post.  Just providing a little insight.

I don't think it has anything to do with profiting.  It's more about the fact that the dude has owned the same record on three separate occasions -- the last of which has resulted in a copy that he's not even going to open or play.  He's holding onto the album solely to flip it... and it's an album that he's clearly not all that crazy about to begin with.  That is what's being frowned upon, more or less.

I think you're right and this is definitely an even-handed comment. 

The same argument can be made for nearly everything that is sold for a profit. Yet no one goes "Oh my gawd this grocery store bought all this food without the intention of eating it?!?! They bought all this food for the sole purpose of selling it for a profit? WTF?!?!"

It's a dumb and useless thing to get angry about. Bitching about flippers isn't suddenly going to make the principles of supply and demand no longer apply to the medium.

The same argument can be made for nearly everything that is sold for a profit. Yet no one goes "Oh my gawd this grocery store bought all this food without the intention of eating it?!?! They bought all this food for the sole purpose of selling it for a profit? WTF?!?!"

It's a dumb and useless thing to get angry about. Bitching about flippers isn't suddenly going to make the principles of supply and demand no longer apply to the medium.

Frankly, I think the hypothetical situation is a little different.  The grocery store in this situation is the record label ("Oh my god this label bought some plastic for a dollar and they pressed some grooves on it and now they're selling it for $25??? wtf!!!")

The situation of flipping is much different... Imagine someone went into your grocery store, and bought all the bananas for $1 each. Then they set up a little stand right outside the grocery store, and sold the same bananas for $5 a piece (ebay).

Then you are like "Forget this shit! I'll go to the other grocery store." But, when you get there, you find that all of THEIR bananas are gone too, and there's a guy outside THEIR store selling bananas for $3 each (discogs).

There's one more grocery store in a 50 mile radius and you go there and there's another guy selling bananas for $2 each outside (VC or other niche forums).

Eventually you say fuck it, and pay the higher price. You either want bananas or you don't. But, it's the people buying the bananas in order to make their own profit (flippers) on top of the grocery store's own profits (record labels) that cause the price to go from $1 to $5.

This is a god awful analogy.