THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

I like VC and most people here so I won't go off on a tirade about how I don't care what you guys think. But, I REALLY only care a little bit. And while, yes, on the surface it looks like I'm an awful flipper, it's just not the case. So, seriously, outside of doing it to be humorous, down voting is so passive-aggressive and petty. Grow the fuck up! (I anticipate lots of negatives, so I'm prepared.)

Now, just to clarify a few things:

We can all do whatever we want, we have freewill, so trying to police who buys and flips what is so absurd. Furthermore, we've all done it to some extent so quit acting holier than thou. Flipping is about intention, not the amount. I have bought something intending to flip it, but it's just not the case here.

Next, I love the band. If anyone bothered to do any research and look at my records, you'll see that I own everything by them and since I'm a completest, having YAMS is essential. The first copy of the record I bought directly from T$N in 2008 or whenever it came out. I listened to it. Someone wanted it for what I thought was a high amount, so I sold it. Sometimes money is better. Then I found a copy in the clearance bin at Park Ave CDs in Orlando. Yay, I had another copy. Then in 2011, after my son was born, someone offered me $100 for it. I didn't immediately take it. Then he offered me $120. HOW COULD I NOT TAKE THAT? I had a son less than a year old. Shit, 95% of you would do the same without a child, so stop judging. Finally, I found a nice guy who was willing to trade me my current copy for three 7"s he really wanted. He didn't know the value and while I didn't offer that info up, I made sure he got what he wanted and thought it was fair. When he found out that it's pricey, he didn't pout, piss and moan on the boards, he said "Good for you."

Lastly, I always try to make fair deals and help people out, especially if I've traded with someone and my end of the deal didn't meet their expectation. To insinuate anything else is idiotic. Ask any number of the 100+ people I've bought/sold/traded with in the past four years, I assure you 99% of them will speak my praises. Not too many other people on the boards have that kind of reputation.

Frankly, I think the hypothetical situation is a little different.  The grocery store in this situation is the record label ("Oh my god this label bought some plastic for a dollar and they pressed some grooves on it and now they're selling it for $25??? wtf!!!")

The situation of flipping is much different... Imagine someone went into your grocery store, and bought all the bananas for $1 each. Then they set up a little stand right outside the grocery store, and sold the same bananas for $5 a piece (ebay).

Then you are like "Forget this shit! I'll go to the other grocery store." But, when you get there, you find that all of THEIR bananas are gone too, and there's a guy outside THEIR store selling bananas for $3 each (discogs).

There's one more grocery store in a 50 mile radius and you go there and there's another guy selling bananas for $2 each outside (VC or other niche forums).

Eventually you say fuck it, and pay the higher price. You either want bananas or you don't. But, it's the people buying the bananas in order to make their own profit (flippers) on top of the grocery store's own profits (record labels) that cause the price to go from $1 to $5.

I think you would be surprised how cheap bananas would be if they weren't essentially "flipped" by companies like Chiquita. The only difference between record flippers and them is that bananas are "flipped" before they get to the grocery store and records are flipped after. The same concepts apply to both.

As for someone buying out all the bananas from grocery stores and reselling them trust me someone would be doing it if the price/market would allow it. 

The only way to "solve" flipping is for labels to stop doing a million different pressings in small quantities, which will never happen because it is a way for them to get people to buy the same record multiple times.

9 years ago, when I moved I sold my whole collection, bought a pickup truck, and packed up all my belongings. It was painful. But, I had to sell items to better my situation at the time. It wasn't about flipping for me, it was about doing what I had to do, profit or not. I've purchased items before and down the line sold them for a profit, not for the intention to flip, but to earn money to buy something that came up that I liked more. If people pay it, then why not? Then again, when people buy a dozen of the same product, and sell I can see why some people get upset. My opinion is I really don't care. I will never own everything, I enjoy hunting, and if I get it, great. If not, I will live. 

Also, SomethingVinyl was extremely fair with me on a recent trade. In fact, more than reasonable. I wish I had joined this wonderful community sooner in fact, but with teaching, life, a child, it didn't happen. Cool place though, think I will stay for a bit. 

I think you would be surprised how cheap bananas would be if they weren't essentially "flipped" by companies like Chiquita. The only difference between record flippers and them is that bananas are "flipped" before they get to the grocery store and records are flipped after. The same concepts apply to both.

As for someone buying out all the bananas from grocery stores and reselling them trust me someone would be doing it if the price/market would allow it. 

The only way to "solve" flipping is for labels to stop doing a million different pressings in small quantities, which will never happen because it is a way for them to get people to buy the same record multiple times.

The different pressings raises an excellent point. I listen to all my records, so I guess I never understood the multiple copies or variants of records. However, I do own a few multiple copies items, not much though. Don't fault anyone though either way. Buy what you love! 

Just wanted to say that I'm not accusing somethingvinyl of being a certified flipper.  I hope that wasn't conveyed anywhere along the line.  I was merely pointing out why he [probably] received some passive-aggressive negative votes, since the question was raised.  I've personally explained my thoughts on flipping through multiple long-winded posts in the past, so I'm a little apathetic towards the topic.  Especially since it's off-topic to begin with.

9 years ago, when I moved I sold my whole collection, bought a pickup truck, and packed up all my belongings. It was painful. But, I had to sell items to better my situation at the time. It wasn't about flipping for me, it was about doing what I had to do, profit or not. I've purchased items before and down the line sold them for a profit, not for the intention to flip, but to earn money to buy something that came up that I liked more. If people pay it, then why not? Then again, when people buy a dozen of the same product, and sell I can see why some people get upset. My opinion is I really don't care. I will never own everything, I enjoy hunting, and if I get it, great. If not, I will live. Also, SomethingVinyl was extremely fair with me on a recent trade. In fact, more than reasonable. I wish I had joined this wonderful community sooner in fact, but with teaching, life, a child, it didn't happen. Cool place though, think I will stay for a bit.

You were quite fair too. And like I said and you so perfectly illustrated, flipping is more about intention than money.

Just wanted to say that I'm not accusing somethingvinyl of being a certified flipper.  I hope that wasn't conveyed anywhere along the line.  I was merely pointing out why he [probably] received some passive-aggressive negative votes, since the question was raised.  I've personally explained my thoughts on flipping through multiple long-winded posts in the past, so I'm a little apathetic towards the topic.  Especially since it's off-topic to begin with.

I appreciate that because, if I'm being honest, I felt like your original rant was someone accusatory. It's the reason I felt to tell the story about how I've come across three copies.

I appreciate that because, if I'm being honest, I felt like your original rant was someone accusatory. It's the reason I felt to tell the story about how I've come across three copies.

I'll admit that it's interesting / noteworthy that you've had this record in your possession on three separate occasions... and someone, somewhere on the forums will squawk about that, but it won't be me.  I genuinely do not care.  (Sorry if that sounds rude.)  I actually wouldn't have even bothered to respond to that tidbit if it wasn't brought up in topic, if we're being honest.

Frankly, I think the hypothetical situation is a little different.  The grocery store in this situation is the record label ("Oh my god this label bought some plastic for a dollar and they pressed some grooves on it and now they're selling it for $25??? wtf!!!")

The situation of flipping is much different... Imagine someone went into your grocery store, and bought all the bananas for $1 each. Then they set up a little stand right outside the grocery store, and sold the same bananas for $5 a piece (ebay).

Then you are like "Forget this shit! I'll go to the other grocery store." But, when you get there, you find that all of THEIR bananas are gone too, and there's a guy outside THEIR store selling bananas for $3 each (discogs).

There's one more grocery store in a 50 mile radius and you go there and there's another guy selling bananas for $2 each outside (VC or other niche forums).

Eventually you say fuck it, and pay the higher price. You either want bananas or you don't. But, it's the people buying the bananas in order to make their own profit (flippers) on top of the grocery store's own profits (record labels) that cause the price to go from $1 to $5.

This is a perfect analogy.

Ugh all the Tron shit is so expensive. That will go for $250+. I bought the Tron: Legacy OST 3xLP and stupidly sold it before it was going for $300+ regularly. Even the RSD singles are ridiculously expensive.

This is a perfect analogy.

Thanks man. For the record, I don't mind when people sell records for high prices. Market value, supply and and demand, it all makes sense - and I buy a ton of records for way over cost.

Flipping as I define it is buying a record, or more than one of a record, just to sell sell for profit.

When you are depriving someone who actually wants the record of being able to purchase it for a fair price for your own gain, it's flipping.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled ebay craziness!

Ugh all the Tron shit is so expensive. That will go for $250+. I bought the Tron: Legacy OST 3xLP and stupidly sold it before it was going for $300+ regularly. Even the RSD singles are ridiculously expensive.

Ya i bought the Tron OST for about 40$.

I would love to own this, but even 100$ is too steep for a video game soundtrack.

Notice no pictures of the record. I offered him up to $45.01. All three of my offers were auto-declined. I'm pretty sure someone will come along and buy it from him for that price or whatever lower offer he'll take.

I really don't think $80 is that unfair of a price for what would be a near mint or brand new copy of this, but holy shit that seam split is AWFUL.